• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Paid Scholarship for Medical School

MOHAMED ✌

May 6, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    Good morning, our Undergraduate institution have a partnership with the 3 state school. If you marriculate, they will pay the cost of medical school.
    Do you think it wise idea to limit my self just to those 3 school. Even if I did not get in the first time, I will apply next cycle to the same schools or apply to their postbac which guarntes medical school acceptance upon completing certain GPA and MCAT

Rachapkis

2+ Year Member
    Apr 5, 2018
    1. Non-Student
      My advice would be to apply broadly to schools that are commensurate with your stats. If one of them gives you a scholarship, and you deem that to be your best option, you can take it. However, given that 60% of applicants do not get into any schools, and a substantial percentage only get into one school, it is not wise too put too many eggs into too few baskets. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
      Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Jul 26, 2009
      The Big Bad Apple
      1. Non-Student
        Good morning, our Undergraduate institution have a partnership with the 3 state school. If you marriculate, they will pay the cost of medical school.
        Do you think it wise idea to limit my self just to those 3 school. Even if I did not get in the first time, I will apply next cycle to the same schools or apply to their postbac which guarntes medical school acceptance upon completing certain GPA and MCAT
        Which is your goal?
        1) get into medical school and not pay for it
        2) get into medical school
        3) become a physician

You could just apply to those 3 schools the first cycle but I am also curious why you would need to use their postbacc? The state medical schools are only going to accept you if you are a qualified candidate

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads

Goro

Lifetime Donor
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Jun 11, 2010
        Somewhere west of St. Louis
        1. Non-Student
          No, it would be a foolish idea.

if money is an issue, work a few years and save up some cash.

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
          Mar 14, 2019
          1. Pre-Medical
            What's the name of the school? I have never heard of a deal where a UG offers free, unconditional medical school COA upon meeting a predetermined GPA and MCAT metric. This sounds like a BS/MD program, but to my knowledge, none offer this deal, other than Wayne State, which is limited to 10 students per year, with preference given to low SES candidates, and the offer only applies to their own med school. Please tell us more, it sounds like a great deal, even if you don't limit yourself to only those 3 schools.

MOHAMED ✌

May 6, 2020
            1. Pre-Medical
              What's the name of the school? I have never heard of a deal where a UG offers free, unconditional medical school COA upon meeting a predetermined GPA and MCAT metric. This sounds like a BS/MD program, but to my knowledge, none offer this deal, other than Wayne State, which is limited to 10 students per year, with preference given to low SES candidates, and the offer only applies to their own med school. Please tell us more, it sounds like a great deal, even if you don't limit yourself to only those 3 schools.

A. The undergraduate institutions [Lincon University and Cheyney University] will pay the cost of your medical school through Bond-Hill Scholarship, if you matriculate to one of the three puplic schools in Pa [ Pittsburgh, Penn State, Temple University].

B. The post bac at Temple University offers a guranteed marticulation to their medical school upon completing the program with 3.60 GPA and 509 MCAT(with no single section less than 126). It is very competitive to get in because they require all the regular admissions requirements even before the postbacc -primary,secondary, interview, letter of recommendation etc-.

MOHAMED ✌

May 6, 2020
              1. Pre-Medical
                Which is your goal?
                1) get into medical school and not pay for it
                2) get into medical school
                3) become a physician

You could just apply to those 3 schools the first cycle but I am also curious why you would need to use their postbacc? The state medical schools are only going to accept you if you are a qualified candidate

Since my UG institutions will pay if I attend (Pittsburgh, Temple or Penn State). I am trying to guarantee one of those schools.
                If I do not get in one of them, my next plan will be applying to:
                1. Same schools next cycle.
                And/or
                2. Temple postbacc program which guarantee admission to their medical school if you complete the program with 3.60 and 509 MCAT( each section at least 126).

Let me rephrase my question, which is more valuable?
                1.Graduate dept free (apply to those three schools)
                Or
                2. Saving 1 or 2 years in my life (by applying to all schools).

cj_cregg

7+ Year Member
                Jul 25, 2014
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  Since my UG institutions will pay if I attend (Pittsburgh, Temple or Penn State). I am trying to guarantee one of those schools.
                  If I do not get in one of them, my next plan will be applying to:
                  1. Same schools next cycle.
                  And/or
                  2. Temple postbacc program which guarantee admission to their medical school if you complete the program with 3.60 and 509 MCAT( each section at least 126).

Let me rephrase my question, which is more valuable?
                  1.Graduate dept free (apply to those three schools)
                  Or
                  2. Saving 1 or 2 years in my life (by applying to all schools).
                  Your second option - saving 1-2 years of your life by applying to all schools - should actually be "saving my opportunity of being a doctor at all by applying to all schools." Over half of people who apply to med school do not get in to any school. About half of people who do get in only get into one school.

What is your GPA and MCAT score? What kind of shadowing, volunteering, research, and extracurriculars do you have?

Pitt is a top 20 school that is quite competitive. Temple matriculates a class comprised of less than 50% PA residents. Per their website (which is old data, but only a few years old) they matriculate 4% of applicants, which means they probably accept ~10%. Penn State interviews 7% of applicants and presumably accepts less. Only 37% of their matriculants are in state applicants. All have at least slightly above average stats for their entering classes. You CANNOT guarantee admission to any one of these schools, even with an average application - heck, even with an above average application.

Bottom line: if you want to be a doctor, you have to apply more broadly than to three schools. There may be some people who have done it, but they are the exception, not the norm. Especially if your application is average or below average, you should have at least 10 schools on your list and probably some DO schools as well. You have to decide whether it is more important to you to go to medical school for free than to be a physician at all.

Edit-corrected stats per gonnif's post below

Last edited:

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
                  Lifetime Donor
                  10+ Year Member
                  Jul 26, 2009
                  The Big Bad Apple
                  1. Non-Student
                    Your second option - saving 1-2 years of your life by applying to all schools - should actually be "saving my opportunity of being a doctor at all by applying to all schools." Over half of people who apply to med school do not get in to any school. Most people who do get in only get into one school.

What is your GPA and MCAT score? What kind of shadowing, volunteering, research, and extracurriculars do you have?

Pitt is a top 20 school that is quite competitive. Temple matriculates a class comprised of less than 50% PA residents. Per their website (which is old data, but only a few years old) they matriculate 4% of applicants, which means they probably accept ~10%. Penn State interviews 7% of applicants and presumably accepts less. Only 37% of their matriculants are in state applicants. All have at least slightly above average stats for their entering classes. You CANNOT guarantee admission to any one of these schools, even with an average application - heck, even with an above average application.

Bottom line: if you want to be a doctor, you have to apply more broadly than to three schools. There may be some people who have done it, but they are the exception, not the norm. Especially if your application is average or below average, you should have at least 10 schools on your list and probably some DO schools as well. You have to decide whether it is more important to you to go to medical school for free than to be a physician at all.
                    Just to clarify
                    100% apply to on average 15 schools
                    60% get rejected
                    20% (just under actually) get a single acceptance
                    20% (just over actually) get more than one acceptance

Counting each application separately,
                    about 900,000 applications submitted across all schools
                    about 150,000 interviews given
                    about 90,000 acceptances and alternate (WL) given
                    about 21,500 enroll

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
                    Mar 14, 2019
                    1. Pre-Medical
                      A. The undergraduate institutions [Lincon University and Cheyney University] will pay the cost of your medical school through Bond-Hill Scholarship, if you matriculate to one of the three puplic schools in Pa [ Pittsburgh, Penn State, Temple University].

B. The post bac at Temple University offers a guranteed marticulation to their medical school upon completing the program with 3.60 GPA and 509 MCAT(with no single section less than 126). It is very competitive to get in because they require all the regular admissions requirements even before the postbacc -primary,secondary, interview, letter of recommendation etc-.
                      Thanks for the clarification!!! For the record, the program you are referring to is a competitive program that you have to apply to and be accepted in, and funding is provided by the state, not the schools. It is not a "partnership" for which you are automatically eligible if you matriculate. "The number of scholarships awarded and renewed each year is based upon the availability of funds from the General Assembly."

It's a fine thing to aim for, but, no matter what anyone is telling you, it is far from a sure thing for anyone. As everyone else has been saying, either you want to be a doctor or you don't. If you limit yourself to only being a doctor if you are accepted into one of the three schools and end up being awarded one of these scholarships, and having it funded every year by PA, the odds are you're not going to be a doctor.

To get a better idea of what you are facing, you should ask someone in your premed advising office how many people at your school apply to med school, apply for funding under the program, and ultimately receive one of these scholarships, specifically to med school as opposed to the other eligible schools (law, podiatry and dentistry). That should help you set realistic expectations. Also, please bear in mind that the people who seem to be the targeted recipients of these scholarships would most likely be eligible for significant need-based financial aid at many schools across the country, so it would probably not be wise for you to limit yourself to this program, and those schools, solely on financial grounds. Good luck!!!

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.