Paid Scholarship for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MOHAMED ✌

Reaction score
Good morning, our Undergraduate institution have a partnership with the 3 state school. If you marriculate, they will pay the cost of medical school.
Do you think it wise idea to limit my self just to those 3 school. Even if I did not get in the first time, I will apply next cycle to the same schools or apply to their postbac which guarntes medical school acceptance upon completing certain GPA and MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to apply broadly to schools that are commensurate with your stats. If one of them gives you a scholarship, and you deem that to be your best option, you can take it. However, given that 60% of applicants do not get into any schools, and a substantial percentage only get into one school, it is not wise too put too many eggs into too few baskets. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Good morning, our Undergraduate institution have a partnership with the 3 state school. If you marriculate, they will pay the cost of medical school.
Do you think it wise idea to limit my self just to those 3 school. Even if I did not get in the first time, I will apply next cycle to the same schools or apply to their postbac which guarntes medical school acceptance upon completing certain GPA and MCAT
No, it would be a foolish idea.

if money is an issue, work a few years and save up some cash.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the name of the school? I have never heard of a deal where a UG offers free, unconditional medical school COA upon meeting a predetermined GPA and MCAT metric. This sounds like a BS/MD program, but to my knowledge, none offer this deal, other than Wayne State, which is limited to 10 students per year, with preference given to low SES candidates, and the offer only applies to their own med school. Please tell us more, it sounds like a great deal, even if you don't limit yourself to only those 3 schools.

Reactions: 1 user
What's the name of the school? I have never heard of a deal where a UG offers free, unconditional medical school COA upon meeting a predetermined GPA and MCAT metric. This sounds like a BS/MD program, but to my knowledge, none offer this deal, other than Wayne State, which is limited to 10 students per year, with preference given to low SES candidates, and the offer only applies to their own med school. Please tell us more, it sounds like a great deal, even if you don't limit yourself to only those 3 schools.

A. The undergraduate institutions [Lincon University and Cheyney University] will pay the cost of your medical school through Bond-Hill Scholarship, if you matriculate to one of the three puplic schools in Pa [ Pittsburgh, Penn State, Temple University].

B. The post bac at Temple University offers a guranteed marticulation to their medical school upon completing the program with 3.60 GPA and 509 MCAT(with no single section less than 126). It is very competitive to get in because they require all the regular admissions requirements even before the postbacc -primary,secondary, interview, letter of recommendation etc-.

Which is your goal?
1) get into medical school and not pay for it
2) get into medical school
3) become a physician

You could just apply to those 3 schools the first cycle but I am also curious why you would need to use their postbacc? The state medical schools are only going to accept you if you are a qualified candidate

Since my UG institutions will pay if I attend (Pittsburgh, Temple or Penn State). I am trying to guarantee one of those schools.
If I do not get in one of them, my next plan will be applying to:
1. Same schools next cycle.
And/or
2. Temple postbacc program which guarantee admission to their medical school if you complete the program with 3.60 and 509 MCAT( each section at least 126).

Let me rephrase my question, which is more valuable?
1.Graduate dept free (apply to those three schools)
Or
2. Saving 1 or 2 years in my life (by applying to all schools).

A. The undergraduate institutions [Lincon University and Cheyney University] will pay the cost of your medical school through Bond-Hill Scholarship, if you matriculate to one of the three puplic schools in Pa [ Pittsburgh, Penn State, Temple University].

B. The post bac at Temple University offers a guranteed marticulation to their medical school upon completing the program with 3.60 GPA and 509 MCAT(with no single section less than 126). It is very competitive to get in because they require all the regular admissions requirements even before the postbacc -primary,secondary, interview, letter of recommendation etc-.
Thanks for the clarification!!! For the record, the program you are referring to is a competitive program that you have to apply to and be accepted in, and funding is provided by the state, not the schools. It is not a "partnership" for which you are automatically eligible if you matriculate. "The number of scholarships awarded and renewed each year is based upon the availability of funds from the General Assembly."

It's a fine thing to aim for, but, no matter what anyone is telling you, it is far from a sure thing for anyone. As everyone else has been saying, either you want to be a doctor or you don't. If you limit yourself to only being a doctor if you are accepted into one of the three schools and end up being awarded one of these scholarships, and having it funded every year by PA, the odds are you're not going to be a doctor.

To get a better idea of what you are facing, you should ask someone in your premed advising office how many people at your school apply to med school, apply for funding under the program, and ultimately receive one of these scholarships, specifically to med school as opposed to the other eligible schools (law, podiatry and dentistry). That should help you set realistic expectations. Also, please bear in mind that the people who seem to be the targeted recipients of these scholarships would most likely be eligible for significant need-based financial aid at many schools across the country, so it would probably not be wise for you to limit yourself to this program, and those schools, solely on financial grounds. Good luck!!!