Pain boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasgasgas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not meaning to rehash an old topic but pain boards (ABA) are Sept 19th. Building up my practice and just moved to a new house so I have very little time. Just got painexam.com for questions. Dannemiller videos (literally have watched one Yaksh video and such riveting material to sit through, I'll tell you that)... how to find motivation???? I just want to be done with this.

Members don't see this ad.

Convert Dannemiller to MP4 and watch on iPhone or iPad with swift app at 1.5-2x the speed.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is my secret recipe.

Danemiller once on 1.5 to 2x speed.

Painexam once half heartedly.

If you aren't as motivated as I was to carry out such a rigorous plan, then probably doing about 1/10 of that will result in a pass.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same situation as OP. Just moved into a new house that we built and I am still finishing odds and ends on the inside. Building my new practice. Got 18 injections tomorrow! Planning on just doing pain exam. I looked at the dannemilker videos some as a fellow. Too boring.

I combined PainExam.com questions with danemiller lectures (mp3s on phone to and from work). The lectures had significant yield on random stuff that doesn't apply to day to day patient care but shows up on tests. May be boring but had surprising yield on stupid stuff I absolutely would have missed. Also did questions from the abdi book. All were a mixed bag but together they worked and I passed comfortably. I took 1 solid week off prior to the test and hit the books as hard as I could for 1 week which helped a lot. I was 100% convinced I failed (look at old posts! Lol) but didnt. The test is horribly random and non-applicable to day to day practice. Suck it up and be done for 10 years. You don't want to have to repeat this goat-rodeo.

listen to dannemiller in the car, assuming your drive is more than 15 minutes each way. dont take it too lightly. for most boards (i am not sure if pain is one of these - i dont have specific stats on pain, unlike IM, ER or gas), the chance of passing the test the 2nd time is dramatically less than the first attempt. now that is most likely because the remaining testers include a higher percentage of those who are just plain dumb, but regardless, you dont want to get included in that population.

Should I be in panic mode now? I've barely been studying. And by that I mean I've watched one Yaksh video and did maybe 2 painexam tests. It's so hard to get motivated b/c I know they'll ask a bunch of esoteric bull****.

did dannemiller once and painexam questions. didn't know i have to pay an extra $60 to painexam to get CME credits. good luck everyone! by this time tomorrow, none of the crap we're studying will matter again. Ten years from now when we're recertifying, it'll turn out that NONE of the stuff we're learning was true anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Just did recert over the past weekend. Web Dannemiller review helped for sure. Its 2012 but gives CME credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
any disadvantage to not being boarded in Pain ASAP?

my job has not asked me for it. i did not do it immediately post fellowship. considering it for next year.

If any of you folks who have already taken pain boards are willing to share your DannMiller MP3s/lectures, I would be forever grateful. I cannot seem to find them on eBay and they are ridiculously expensive from the website... PM Me :)

Do you guys think buying Dannemiller and reviewing before/during fellowship is helpful, or is that something I shouldn't waste my time with until after fellowship. I only ask because I have a decent amount of money through my program to spend on books, conference, etc and want to know if that may be something good to get now.

I can't speak to Dannemiller's usefulness for boards, but I'm in fellowship now and have found some of the lectures to be useful. Sometimes it's nice to watch something instead of reading.

Do you guys think buying Dannemiller and reviewing before/during fellowship is helpful, or is that something I shouldn't waste my time with until after fellowship. I only ask because I have a decent amount of money through my program to spend on books, conference, etc and want to know if that may be something good to get now.
I did dannemiller all throughout fellowship. Listened to lectures to and from work. Then listened again right before boards. I would recommend doing this. It was high yield on dumb stuff that ended up on the boards that I never would have learned or cared about otherwise.

(will just make a separate thread)

Last edited:
Passed. Thank God. Left the test thinking it could go either way. Did Danemiller and Painexam.com. Not sure if they were super helpful but it worked for me. Good luck to the folks next year and congrats to those who passed this year.

Passed. One less thing to worry about for next 10 years.
I did Pain Exam Q's and Dannemiller Certification Guide Q's. Not sure if they were super-duper helpful, but definitely good for exam practice/ timing etc

I passed too! Not really sure how I passed b/c I felt like the questions were ambiguous. But done. I did Dannemiller, painexam.com x 2, and flipped through Beyond Pain. Tried to do some Abdi questions but was getting irritated at the typos and incorrect info.

Congrats to all that passed! and good luck next time to those that didn't

Standing by Painexam and Dannemiller.

Listen to all Dannemiller 2 or 3x at double speed. Master pain exam questions until tou can explain the answer without reading the question.

Pass the recert today. Theoretically dont have to do for 13 more years... Hopefully never haha

Is there a significant advantage of the dannemiller videos over the audio recordings?

If you buy the USB or Digital Download bundle with videos, it comes with the lectures to print out, right?

Not meaning to rehash an old topic but pain boards (ABA) are Sept 19th. Building up my practice and just moved to a new house so I have very little time. Just got painexam.com for questions. Dannemiller videos (literally have watched one Yaksh video and such riveting material to sit through, I'll tell you that)... how to find motivation???? I just want to be done with this.
Do u have Dannemiller dvd's?

i passed --- and have to say that the pass machine website was better than dannemiller - has video/audio/tons of test questions and 40 CME...

Currently using the Pass Machine and also own DanneMiller videos and the painexam.com questions.

Pass Machine is 40 lectures long and appears to follow the ABA pain medicine exam content guideline very closely. The lecturers range in quality form C- to A-. I have watched them all at this point. The lectures from Richard Boortz-Marx from Duke are really unbearable. He is not a good lecturer, delivery of a robot. I think he may literally be a robot. Lectures from Wallace are great.

The DanneMiller lectures I have not watched in their entirety. The lecturers range in quality from B- to A. The % of "A" lectures is higher with DanneMiller than PassMachine. Ferrante, Abrams, Candido all great lecturers. The DanneMiller lecture content spends a lot of time on epidural doses for pregnancy anesthetsia, stuff like that. I'm not so convinced this is high yield material. The provided PDF notes are too small to be of much benefit when taking notes or studying. I don't like that.

Have not done many of the painexam.com questions yet, but so far they seem ok. The author is a Pain Medicine fellowship director and I presume he gets regular feedback on actual exam questions from his fellows.

I used Big Yeller 10 years ago for my initial Pain Boards and was not impressed with that resource. Not sure if it has improved.

There is also a question bank written by one of our own here on SDN and it looks very good too, and I may look through that as well. Boardvitals.com.

Last edited:
Are there certain lectures that are more high-yield than others?

I think the lectures by Dr Abrams are really good. Christo talks should be high yield.

Dr Yaksh is incredibly smart. I would love to just sit with him over a pot of coffee. his slides and explanations go beyond what I think is necessary for the boards. Even though he explains things well, I would have to put on my extra nerd hat to understand him sometimes.

Dr Candido gives great talks. seems like the sympathetic blocks come up a lot on exams. the med legal talks were good too, but doubt useful for board exams.

I liked both, they both have bad lecturers but not in the same subjects fortunately, so there was some good overlap.

They are excellent, even if they are a little dated (2014 if I remember).

A lot of info and excellent writing. Not sure if it is completely applicable for boards, but it's great for clinical practice.

And offers good cme credit.

FYI u can get it through the asahq website and get discount if member of ASA...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile