You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Pain Fellowship Reviews
Started by ether
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Should anyone be applying to Cornell, we are interviewing earlier this year (late July/early August) and our first set of interview invitations are going out (about 25). Looking at second round of apps on Monday.
I have been asked by some people to desribe the interview day at Cornell.To be fair to all, I am posting openly:
1) There are 3 interview dates: 7/31, 8/6, 8/9
2) There are 6 interviews, 2 from each of the hospitals of the TRI-institutional program (this includes each of the site Directors). The interviewers did not select applicants to come for interview and thus are all new to your applications-i.e. there are no biases.
3) The group interviewing on a particlar day is usually 15-20 people and this is divided into am & pm groups, although everyone is asked to arrive at 7:30am for am grand rounds & B'fast.
4) The am group interviews in the morning and gets a tour (by me) in the afternoon
5) The pm group tours first and then interviews. U all meet again at lunch.
6) Tour takes about 2 hours and is a good time to ask questions. As I do not interview nor have any say in the decisions, I can be asked anything and am very upfront in responses. Of course, if you do something egregious (like pee on me), I may just mention that to others.
7) The am group is generally chosen to be out of towners since that group will be done sooner and they have planes to catch.
8) Class of 2010 has only 1 Cornell person. From what I can tell the class of 2011 may have maybe 2 serious Cornell applicants.
Any more ?, just post
Hello, for those who have been through this before, out of curiosity I wanted to know
Generally speaking, How long do you have to decide after getting an offer?
If a program offers you a spot, do they give you a few days, a few weeks, a few months to accept or decline? I guess it varies by each program or is there a general rule, that they at least give you some adequate time to think it through.
I hope there aren't cases where a program gives you a spot and states that you have to make a decision within 24 hours, especially if you want to go on a few more interviews later down the road.
Generally speaking, How long do you have to decide after getting an offer?
If a program offers you a spot, do they give you a few days, a few weeks, a few months to accept or decline? I guess it varies by each program or is there a general rule, that they at least give you some adequate time to think it through.
I hope there aren't cases where a program gives you a spot and states that you have to make a decision within 24 hours, especially if you want to go on a few more interviews later down the road.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I understand, there is supposedly an informal agreement amongst most programs not to make any offers prior to September 1st; however, offers do get made earlier. The time frame you have to consider an offer varies--generally the earlier the offer is in the application cycle the more time you have to consider it. I applied last year, got an offer in August, and was given 2-3 weeks to consider. On the other hand, friends who applied in previous years who got later offers were given as few as a couple days to decide. It seems like how much time to consider is also up to you--how good a negotiator you are and how long you can stall for...
What it usually turns out being is which one is better--a bird in the hand or one in the bush? It seems most programs make rolling offers so make sure to interview as early as possible (especially at your top choices)
What it usually turns out being is which one is better--a bird in the hand or one in the bush? It seems most programs make rolling offers so make sure to interview as early as possible (especially at your top choices)
From what I understand, there is supposedly an informal agreement amongst most programs not to make any offers prior to September 1st; however, offers do get made earlier. The time frame you have to consider an offer varies--generally the earlier the offer is in the application cycle the more time you have to consider it. I applied last year, got an offer in August, and was given 2-3 weeks to consider. On the other hand, friends who applied in previous years who got later offers were given as few as a couple days to decide. It seems like how much time to consider is also up to you--how good a negotiator you are and how long you can stall for...
What it usually turns out being is which one is better--a bird in the hand or one in the bush? It seems most programs make rolling offers so make sure to interview as early as possible (especially at your top choices)
This is my experience as well. There's a gentleman's agreement. However, either two things happen. If the program is not good or IF the applicant is REALLY good you can be extended an offer right away (read b/w 1 week-1month).
Otherwise you are in limbo land.
This is my experience as well. There's a gentleman's agreement. However, either two things happen. If the program is not good or IF the applicant is REALLY good you can be extended an offer right away (read b/w 1 week-1month).
Otherwise you are in limbo land.
Having gone to the Program Director's meeting, I must confess I am entirely unaware of a gentleman's agreement of Sept 1. Where such an agreement was explicitly described was in Cardiac Anesthesia fellowship, but not in Pain. Many of us working in Pain joked how it is a wild situation now where every Program is trying to leapfrog another. While we have not interviewed nor made offers, our own program had no knowledge of this deadline, nor am I aware of how such an agrement might be arrived at or adhered to. In fact many of the residents (CA-3) did have offers prior to Sept 1. I personally believe we do need a common application deadline and perhaps a match to be fair to applicants, but as I understand it, currently anything goes. Having said that, the previous observations are likely correct: worried programs try to secure good applicants early (before they can comparative shop). The risk to such a program is that the applicant can bail as it is early and even committed applicants may continue to interview (although it might not be considered cool and remember many PDs know each other).
How much weight does a letter of intent hold? I have been offered to sign a letter of intent, however no official contract.
I have not heard of anyone having an issue with their spot being given away after they signed a letter of intent. Most of the letters I've seen, including the one I signed, are written as a formal offer to fill a position that is signed by the chair/chief and program director. Your signature should complete a "contract."
At least I hope this is true!
cornell pain-
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAssMan
I have been asked by some people to desribe the interview day at Cornell.To be fair to all, I am posting openly:
1) There are 3 interview dates: 7/31, 8/6, 8/9
2) There are 6 interviews, 2 from each of the hospitals of the TRI-institutional program (this includes each of the site Directors). The interviewers did not select applicants to come for interview and thus are all new to your applications-i.e. there are no biases.
3) The group interviewing on a particlar day is usually 15-20 people and this is divided into am & pm groups, although everyone is asked to arrive at 7:30am for am grand rounds & B'fast.
4) The am group interviews in the morning and gets a tour (by me) in the afternoon
5) The pm group tours first and then interviews. U all meet again at lunch.
6) Tour takes about 2 hours and is a good time to ask questions. As I do not interview nor have any say in the decisions, I can be asked anything and am very upfront in responses. Of course, if you do something egregious (like pee on me), I may just mention that to others.
7) The am group is generally chosen to be out of towners since that group will be done sooner and they have planes to catch.
8) Class of 2010 has only 1 Cornell person. From what I can tell the class of 2011 may have maybe 2 serious Cornell applicants.
Any more ?, just post
Dear TheAssMan:
I was wondering if you could give all of us more specific details about the cornell pain program experience. What do you think makes your program strong/unique? How does it "compare/compete" with other big name programs? I am a very interested applicant and want to learn more--can you tell us about the case #s, procedures, research? also where have your grads ended up? academics? private? east v west coast? did they have any trouble finding jobs? etc--thank you very much
-usaman 👍 👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAssMan
I have been asked by some people to desribe the interview day at Cornell.To be fair to all, I am posting openly:
1) There are 3 interview dates: 7/31, 8/6, 8/9
2) There are 6 interviews, 2 from each of the hospitals of the TRI-institutional program (this includes each of the site Directors). The interviewers did not select applicants to come for interview and thus are all new to your applications-i.e. there are no biases.
3) The group interviewing on a particlar day is usually 15-20 people and this is divided into am & pm groups, although everyone is asked to arrive at 7:30am for am grand rounds & B'fast.
4) The am group interviews in the morning and gets a tour (by me) in the afternoon
5) The pm group tours first and then interviews. U all meet again at lunch.
6) Tour takes about 2 hours and is a good time to ask questions. As I do not interview nor have any say in the decisions, I can be asked anything and am very upfront in responses. Of course, if you do something egregious (like pee on me), I may just mention that to others.
7) The am group is generally chosen to be out of towners since that group will be done sooner and they have planes to catch.
8) Class of 2010 has only 1 Cornell person. From what I can tell the class of 2011 may have maybe 2 serious Cornell applicants.
Any more ?, just post
Dear TheAssMan:
I was wondering if you could give all of us more specific details about the cornell pain program experience. What do you think makes your program strong/unique? How does it "compare/compete" with other big name programs? I am a very interested applicant and want to learn more--can you tell us about the case #s, procedures, research? also where have your grads ended up? academics? private? east v west coast? did they have any trouble finding jobs? etc--thank you very much
-usaman 👍 👍
cornell pain-
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAssMan![]()
I have been asked by some people to desribe the interview day at Cornell.To be fair to all, I am posting openly:
1) There are 3 interview dates: 7/31, 8/6, 8/9
2) There are 6 interviews, 2 from each of the hospitals of the TRI-institutional program (this includes each of the site Directors). The interviewers did not select applicants to come for interview and thus are all new to your applications-i.e. there are no biases.
3) The group interviewing on a particlar day is usually 15-20 people and this is divided into am & pm groups, although everyone is asked to arrive at 7:30am for am grand rounds & B'fast.
4) The am group interviews in the morning and gets a tour (by me) in the afternoon
5) The pm group tours first and then interviews. U all meet again at lunch.
6) Tour takes about 2 hours and is a good time to ask questions. As I do not interview nor have any say in the decisions, I can be asked anything and am very upfront in responses. Of course, if you do something egregious (like pee on me), I may just mention that to others.
7) The am group is generally chosen to be out of towners since that group will be done sooner and they have planes to catch.
8) Class of 2010 has only 1 Cornell person. From what I can tell the class of 2011 may have maybe 2 serious Cornell applicants.
Any more ?, just post
Dear TheAssMan:
I was wondering if you could give all of us more specific details about the cornell pain program experience. What do you think makes your program strong/unique? How does it "compare/compete" with other big name programs? I am a very interested applicant and want to learn more--can you tell us about the case #s, procedures, research? also where have your grads ended up? academics? private? east v west coast? did they have any trouble finding jobs? etc--thank you very much
-usaman 👍 👍
In terms of comparing our programs to others, I must confess that I am in no position to do so as I have really only been here and cannot speak for the merits and weaknesses of other places and thus have no basis for comparison. However, in speaking to exiting fellows and fellows of ours who are currently in practice, what they have cited as strengths were diversity of training, specifically 3 distinct institutions (HSS, Sloan, Cornell) each with distinct practice patterns-private, speciality hospital and Academic. They also found it useful to work with many Attendings:15 Pain Attendings among the 3 places. We usually have 1 or 2 go into Academics each year and the remaining private practice-it all depends on the lifestyle each person wants. Finding jobs has not been an issue except maybe in the NYC area owing to saturation. Most people stay on the east coast becuase that is where most our fellows come from.
But, in general no program is perfect for everyone and really finding the right match is the point of applying and interviewing. If we think you might flourish here, we invite you for an interview and you see if you like us.
Here are links with realtime fellow's # for this year:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dE1hbDNXdVAza1hTZUtXS1JzSTA0bFE6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dGREb0loeTJkM0d4LU9TN2UtVlBqQ0E6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dDdSRGg0SHVZOC1ON2Y2QVMzcnp2SkE6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dE9JcUozeW5KOVdhN0dxemxUY21Ubmc6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dDFEYmF5UVJZS1R4ZEpTYlNrYmdUakE6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dFZSLVhXblU2Wk9rTjE5VE1pWVZzOFE6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dER4NzNCZy1vTWViUTR5VldBSUJGNUE6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dHpQb3Rpd05od0RYZk1PUkhMSklNT3c6MA
In terms of comparing our programs to others, I must confess that I am in no position to do so as I have really only been here and cannot speak for the merits and weaknesses of other places and thus have no basis for comparison. However, in speaking to exiting fellows and fellows of ours who are currently in practice, what they have cited as strengths were diversity of training, specifically 3 distinct institutions (HSS, Sloan, Cornell) each with distinct practice patterns-private, speciality hospital and Academic. They also found it useful to work with many Attendings:15 Pain Attendings among the 3 places. We usually have 1 or 2 go into Academics each year and the remaining private practice-it all depends on the lifestyle each person wants. Finding jobs has not been an issue except maybe in the NYC area owing to saturation. Most people stay on the east coast becuase that is where most our fellows come from.
But, in general no program is perfect for everyone and really finding the right match is the point of applying and interviewing. If we think you might flourish here, we invite you for an interview and you see if you like us.
Here are links with realtime fellow's # for this year:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dE1hbDNXdVAza1hTZUtXS1JzSTA0bFE6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dGREb0loeTJkM0d4LU9TN2UtVlBqQ0E6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dDdSRGg0SHVZOC1ON2Y2QVMzcnp2SkE6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dE9JcUozeW5KOVdhN0dxemxUY21Ubmc6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dDFEYmF5UVJZS1R4ZEpTYlNrYmdUakE6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dFZSLVhXblU2Wk9rTjE5VE1pWVZzOFE6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dER4NzNCZy1vTWViUTR5VldBSUJGNUE6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dHpQb3Rpd05od0RYZk1PUkhMSklNT3c6MA
Wow, thanks for this great information--two more questions for now before learning more when I interview:
(1) Do the fellows get any experience with CT guided blocks?
(2) What are the research opportunies and experiences? I am really interested in academics and research--I heard there is a back pain registry for example. I am surprised most fellows go into private, I would have thought most go into academic given the high scholarly environment of cornell--can you comment further?
-USA Man 👍
Sir- Mr Assman - I gather you are in academics at this program, I don't know if you noticed --- but the charts all have corresponding names located on the top ledger, I am assuming your fellows? I hope they are ok with the public display?
If thats year to date volumes with the fellows being almost done, it doesn't seem like a whole lot. Unless there are off-cycle fellows??
It is interesting, thanks. Just curious why there would be a disparity between the volumes 180's 400's?
If thats year to date volumes with the fellows being almost done, it doesn't seem like a whole lot. Unless there are off-cycle fellows??
It is interesting, thanks. Just curious why there would be a disparity between the volumes 180's 400's?
Wow, thanks for this great information--two more questions for now before learning more when I interview:
(1) Do the fellows get any experience with CT guided blocks?
(2) What are the research opportunies and experiences? I am really interested in academics and research--I heard there is a back pain registry for example. I am surprised most fellows go into private, I would have thought most go into academic given the high scholarly environment of cornell--can you comment further?
-USA Man 👍
The Big CT guided block we do is Celiac Plexus. Many others are done with Ultrasound.
We advise research as a seperate dedicated year as 1st year is learning about pain and hard to do research well.
Disparities in #s are that each fellow rotates to different institutions in different cycles and some are more busy than others.
In terms of #s, the fellows under-report as they often forget to log, particulalarly after 1st quarter and by jan (when they are interviewing or studying for boards)-the log system is really to report to ACGME. Those are their names and anyone who knows me, knows I do not withhold info-many on this board know who I am and some posts contain my name. Who our fellows are is no secret-we actually provide you with this info and more at the interviews-the fellows can view each others numbers all year. Facebook them if you wish, ask them about our program if you wish. The links will go down in 1 month with the new fellowship cycle.
What is so great about UCLA's program? i hear they only have 4 faculty members, of which at least 1 or 2 is usually away for meetings, etc. I keep reading it's one of the best in the west, but can anyone who has interviewed or graduated from there contribute more? It seems it's got this reputation, but not sure based on what...
anyone know if they have sent out interview invites yet?
anyone know if they have sent out interview invites yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is so great about UCLA's program? i hear they only have 4 faculty members, of which at least 1 or 2 is usually away for meetings, etc. I keep reading it's one of the best in the west, but can anyone who has interviewed or graduated from there contribute more? It seems it's got this reputation, but not sure based on what...
anyone know if they have sent out interview invites yet?
foodcoma,
I can't speak from personal experience, but what I'm looking for in a pain medicine program is a well-rounded curriculum; the UCLA/VA program appears to provide that. I don't have specific numbers for you, but I've been told by previous fellows there that you'll be sufficiently trained in interventional procedures. I don't want to get thousands of injections in lieu of chronic pain/cancer/peds/psych training, and this is a program that understands the multifaceted/multidisciplinary approach to pain medicine. Also, it is ACGME-accredited which suits my desire for an academic career in the future.
There are plenty of positives about the UCLA program, and there are active SDN members who were recent graduates and may comment with more specifics for you (I know, it's hard to get a great grasp of the quality of a program just from a website; I'm lucky enough to know a couple former grads).
And if you aren't looking for comprehensive pain medicine training, there are some excellent private, non-accredited pain fellowships out there that will provide you with extensive training in interventional procedures.
I say at least give it a shot if you get an interview. I don't believe they've sent out interviews yet, as they typically interview later in the "season".
Best of luck
Forgot to add this link to their faculty. Appears to be many more than 4. http://spinecenter.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=57
Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think foodcoma was referring to the UCLA Anesthesia dept pain fellowship not the VA program that's PM&R run and associated with UCLA.
Can't add much more info on the program, but according to their website (http://www.anes.ucla.edu/painfellowship.php), they begin review of apps after deadline of 7/31, interview in Aug or Sept I'd imagine and extend offers in October?
Can't add much more info on the program, but according to their website (http://www.anes.ucla.edu/painfellowship.php), they begin review of apps after deadline of 7/31, interview in Aug or Sept I'd imagine and extend offers in October?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think foodcoma was referring to the UCLA Anesthesia dept pain fellowship not the VA program that's PM&R run and associated with UCLA.
Just looked at his older posts; appears he's anesthesia. Sorry foodcoma. I don't have any information on that program.
anyone have info on Virginia Mason's pain fellowship?
also, any updates on UW's pain program?
thanks!
I am a pain attending in Seattle.
UWs pain fellowship has had a poor reputation for the past many years, although it may be changing with the addition of Cahana and Trescot to the faculty. Traditionally the UW fellows have had very little interventional experience. I hope the program improves.
The VM pain fellowship is/was known to be heavy on regional anesthesia for some reason. To be honest I have had little exposure or interactino with the VM fellowship.
I am a pain attending in Seattle.
UWs pain fellowship has had a poor reputation for the past many years, although it may be changing with the addition of Cahana and Trescot to the faculty. Traditionally the UW fellows have had very little interventional experience. I hope the program improves.
The VM pain fellowship is/was known to be heavy on regional anesthesia for some reason. To be honest I have had little exposure or interactino with the VM fellowship.
thanks...
mind if i PM you?
I hear Trescott is leaving, is this correct?
I am a pain attending in Seattle.
UWs pain fellowship has had a poor reputation for the past many years, although it may be changing with the addition of Cahana and Trescot to the faculty. Traditionally the UW fellows have had very little interventional experience. I hope the program improves.
The VM pain fellowship is/was known to be heavy on regional anesthesia for some reason. To be honest I have had little exposure or interactino with the VM fellowship.
Dartmouth is a great program with an excellent PD, but you have to be able to live in the cold. Brrrr. But incredibly nice people to work with adn that will make your year much better.
Cleveland clinic is an amazing training program but is in Cleveland, no LaBron... has a really strong brand name according to a couple friends of mine who are pain doctors.
Hopkins used to be top-notch but really isn't anymore. Cohen is incredible, an academic superstar and I hear very funny. BUT I hear their PD and pain division director are under investigation by their institution for sexual harassment and a bunch of other things, so who knows how long they will be there. That has apparently made it a very toxic environment.
Standford, I haven't heard alot about it but Sean mackey is an academic powerhouse. They also have a big clinic.
BWH - still the best fellowship in the country is what people say. you get lots of experience with interventions but still have a good multi-disciplinary experience with psychology included.
Cleveland clinic is an amazing training program but is in Cleveland, no LaBron... has a really strong brand name according to a couple friends of mine who are pain doctors.
Hopkins used to be top-notch but really isn't anymore. Cohen is incredible, an academic superstar and I hear very funny. BUT I hear their PD and pain division director are under investigation by their institution for sexual harassment and a bunch of other things, so who knows how long they will be there. That has apparently made it a very toxic environment.
Standford, I haven't heard alot about it but Sean mackey is an academic powerhouse. They also have a big clinic.
BWH - still the best fellowship in the country is what people say. you get lots of experience with interventions but still have a good multi-disciplinary experience with psychology included.
Dartmouth-Great program. Feels very "comfy". Nice facilities...I believe 3 residents. The city however is in the middle of no where. In terms of interventions....they do do them. Volume is pretty low though in terms of interventions.
Yale-New program. They have a close relationship with the VA system. They have a new attending from Brigham. VERY VERY nice people. The biggest plus is the VA and the potential to do procedures. At this time not interventional, however, things may change with the new Brigham guy.
Hopkins- Great name. Baltimore is ok. Obviously some big names like Cohen. Their pain clinc directr (Hurley) left. Forgot the name of the guy tht took over for him. Talked to fellows...they weren't very happy. Since Hurley left, intervention drastically decreased apparently.
Stanford-Beautiful city. GORGEOUS. Campus and facilities are amazing. This program is very research oriented. Multi-disc approach is present. Advanced procedures....stims, vert, kypho is minimal. They make no qualms about letting you know that it's not an interventional program. Residents work hard, but love it. Great name.
Cleveland Clinic--lots of FMGs. Yes good name. However, I think it's very easy to get lost in the shuffle. They are doing some stuff with ultrasound,etc. Probably the best program in the midwest.
Brigham/Harvard--- 12/10. Probably the BEST program. Great name and reputation. Produced some of the biggest names in Pain Medicine...Ray Sinatra, Ferrante, PD at Dartmouth, the list goes on. Great people. Amazing people. Probably the most interventional program. Apparently one of their attendings...yes just ONE does close to 300 stims a year. Great research/academic facilites. Harvards Cancer Center, the Dana Farber is around the corner, soTONs of cancer stuff. The clinic is amazing...equipped with fluro and ultrasound. Residents are VERY VERY happy. The city..boston if amazing. I really can't think of a 'con' to this program. Unlike the previous poster...when talking to head hunters, they told me the Brigham graduates are quite sought after...the Harvard name is huge.
Cedars Siani in Los angeles has started an accrediated pain fellowship ,anesthesia base, PD is Howard Rosner former director of cornell, they have four fellows,I did interview there and they look pretty happy, they do tons of procedures, the program in up on ACGME,
website.
website.
Last edited:
Looking for recent info on the NYC accredited programs. Much of this thread seems outdated. I gather that St Lukes and Cornell are still the best reviewed.
I'm a non-traditional applicant and am bound geographically so I'm open to any position as long as it is accredited and isn't a complete waste of a year.
Specifically any recent info on Columbia, NYU, Beth Israel and Robert Wood in Jersey.
Thanks.
I'm a non-traditional applicant and am bound geographically so I'm open to any position as long as it is accredited and isn't a complete waste of a year.
Specifically any recent info on Columbia, NYU, Beth Israel and Robert Wood in Jersey.
Thanks.
Here are my notes from 2010 pain medicine fellowship interview trail. I appreciated the input from those ahead of me who posted on this thread as their reviews greatly helped me decide to which programs to apply. I tried to keep my information as objective as possible and the programs are listed in alphabetical order. If any current/former fellows or attendings find any glaring errors, please correct the information. I hope this benefits future pain medicine applicants
Beth Israel Deaconess:
7 fellows, strong multidisc experience, practice model = hospital-based outpatient clinic, new PD/clinic director (Abdi from Miami, MGH trained) bringing more clinical research to program, prominent pain physicians on staff, fellows are happy, feel well-trained, appropriate workload, collegial environment, great clinical experience, lots of fluoro, great H/A training, opening satellite clinics w/ unknown effect on fellow assignments, 15-20 SCS per fellow, 5-10 IDDS, ~60 RFA, lots of ESI/TFESI/MBB (>250 combined), some ultrasound use in clinic, strong didactics mainly taught by attendings, 3-4 lectures given per fellow during year, daily lectures (time may be changing from 12:00-1:00 to AM before clinic), assignments = clinic f/u rooms (1 fellow), fluoro suites (3 fellows), pain service/in-house consults (1 fellow), elective rotations = Boston Childrens, B&W, others, nice clinic facilities, no internal moonlighting for anesthesia
Brigham & Womens:
8 fellows, strong multidisc experience, practice model = hospital-based outpatient clinic, stable leadership & faculty, prominent pain physicians on staff, fellows are happy, feel well-trained, appropriate workload (except perhaps management of PCAs while on home call), collegial environment, great clinical experience, lots of research opportunities, lots of office-based and surgical interventions (sorry, but dont have #s), minimal ultrasound use in clinic, tons of cancer pain (Dana-Farber Cancer Institute), strong didactics taught by attendings initially, then 50/50 for rest of year (7:30-8 AM M, T, Th, F & Anes grand rounds W 7-9 AM), assignments = outpt clinic 5-6 mo, VA 1 mo, Dana-Farber Inpt 1 mo, Boston Childrens 1 mo, Palliative care, elective rotations = BID 1 mo, Spaulding rehab hosp (PM&R) 1 mo, nice clinic facilities, internal anesthesia moonlighting available & easy to do
Mayo Clinic MN
4 fellows, extremely multidisc experience, practice model = hospital-based outpatient clinic, stable leadership & faculty, prominent pain physicians on staff, fellows are happy, feel well-trained, appropriate workload, collegial environment, excellent breadth of clinical experiences (to quote the PD, We dont need the fellows to run our clinics. Education has primacy.), lots of research opportunities, lots of ultrasound in clinic (esp PM&R clinics), have cutting edge U/S machine and Philips-Allura C-arm (supposedly only program in country), unique specialty clinics and monthly conferences, renowned pain rehab unit, many elective rotations from which to choose, fellows can tailor their year to their own interests/needs, MSK exam course over initial 2 months of fellowship, 1 week anatomy dissection course in spring, home call 1:4 weeks with weekend rounding on APS and inpt cancer pts, lots of interventional surgical procedures in addition to office-based procedures (sorry, but dont have #s), opportunity to do away rotations at Mayo FL or AZ or with private practice interventionalist in Napa Valley, exceptional clinic facilities, no internal moonlighting for anesthesia
UVA:
5 fellows, good multidisc experience, practice model = hospital-based outpatient, stable leadership & faculty, prominent pain physicians on staff, fellows are happy, feel well-trained, appropriate workload, collegial environment, good clinical experience, some research opportunities (working to improve), new spine center with unknown division of labor (combined with PM&R), little cancer pain exposure, but adequate per one attending, strong didactics taught by attendings ½ day per week (every Wed AM 7-9 Anes GR, 9:30-11:30 pain lectures!), assignments = inpatient chronic pain service 1:5 weeks with Monday OR days (only do surgical procedures while on CPS), remaining assignments 2 clinic days for each 1 day of interventional clinic, 1 fluoro suite, good amount of ultrasound use in clinic, moderate procedure numbers (30-40 SCS trials, 10-20 SCS implants, <10 IDDS, adequate clinic facilities, internal anesthesia moonlighting available
Wake Forest:
4 fellows (may increase to 5 for 2011-12), minimal multidisc experience, practice model = private practice, stable leadership & faculty, prominent pain physicians on staff (just recruited Leo Kapural from Cleveland Clinic to rekindle WFU academic hospital pain presence), fellows are happy, feel well-trained, appropriate workload, collegial environment, good clinical experience, lots of research opportunities, lots of procedures (ESI/TFESI ~ 200, IDDS ~ 10, SNS blocks (stellate, LSB, Celiac) ~ 40, Facet blocks ~ 125, SCS (Trial/Perm) ~ 40, Neurolytic blocks (including RFA) ~ 120, Other (Discogram, IDET, Kyphoplasy, Perc facet Arthrodesis) ~ 20 & now more advanced surgical procedures with Kapural), unsure about ultrasound use in clinic, good didactics taught by faculty (Wed AM), assignments = Carolinas Pain Institute (outpt private practice clinic) 8 mos, ASC (Medical Park hospital, Comprehensive Rehabilitation hospital)/APS (WFUBMC academic hospital, Forsyth Memorial private hospital) 4 mos, home call 1:4 weeks, nice clinic facilities (2 fluoro suites), no internal moonlighting for anesthesia
Good luck!
Beth Israel Deaconess:
7 fellows, strong multidisc experience, practice model = hospital-based outpatient clinic, new PD/clinic director (Abdi from Miami, MGH trained) bringing more clinical research to program, prominent pain physicians on staff, fellows are happy, feel well-trained, appropriate workload, collegial environment, great clinical experience, lots of fluoro, great H/A training, opening satellite clinics w/ unknown effect on fellow assignments, 15-20 SCS per fellow, 5-10 IDDS, ~60 RFA, lots of ESI/TFESI/MBB (>250 combined), some ultrasound use in clinic, strong didactics mainly taught by attendings, 3-4 lectures given per fellow during year, daily lectures (time may be changing from 12:00-1:00 to AM before clinic), assignments = clinic f/u rooms (1 fellow), fluoro suites (3 fellows), pain service/in-house consults (1 fellow), elective rotations = Boston Childrens, B&W, others, nice clinic facilities, no internal moonlighting for anesthesia
Brigham & Womens:
8 fellows, strong multidisc experience, practice model = hospital-based outpatient clinic, stable leadership & faculty, prominent pain physicians on staff, fellows are happy, feel well-trained, appropriate workload (except perhaps management of PCAs while on home call), collegial environment, great clinical experience, lots of research opportunities, lots of office-based and surgical interventions (sorry, but dont have #s), minimal ultrasound use in clinic, tons of cancer pain (Dana-Farber Cancer Institute), strong didactics taught by attendings initially, then 50/50 for rest of year (7:30-8 AM M, T, Th, F & Anes grand rounds W 7-9 AM), assignments = outpt clinic 5-6 mo, VA 1 mo, Dana-Farber Inpt 1 mo, Boston Childrens 1 mo, Palliative care, elective rotations = BID 1 mo, Spaulding rehab hosp (PM&R) 1 mo, nice clinic facilities, internal anesthesia moonlighting available & easy to do
Mayo Clinic MN
4 fellows, extremely multidisc experience, practice model = hospital-based outpatient clinic, stable leadership & faculty, prominent pain physicians on staff, fellows are happy, feel well-trained, appropriate workload, collegial environment, excellent breadth of clinical experiences (to quote the PD, We dont need the fellows to run our clinics. Education has primacy.), lots of research opportunities, lots of ultrasound in clinic (esp PM&R clinics), have cutting edge U/S machine and Philips-Allura C-arm (supposedly only program in country), unique specialty clinics and monthly conferences, renowned pain rehab unit, many elective rotations from which to choose, fellows can tailor their year to their own interests/needs, MSK exam course over initial 2 months of fellowship, 1 week anatomy dissection course in spring, home call 1:4 weeks with weekend rounding on APS and inpt cancer pts, lots of interventional surgical procedures in addition to office-based procedures (sorry, but dont have #s), opportunity to do away rotations at Mayo FL or AZ or with private practice interventionalist in Napa Valley, exceptional clinic facilities, no internal moonlighting for anesthesia
UVA:
5 fellows, good multidisc experience, practice model = hospital-based outpatient, stable leadership & faculty, prominent pain physicians on staff, fellows are happy, feel well-trained, appropriate workload, collegial environment, good clinical experience, some research opportunities (working to improve), new spine center with unknown division of labor (combined with PM&R), little cancer pain exposure, but adequate per one attending, strong didactics taught by attendings ½ day per week (every Wed AM 7-9 Anes GR, 9:30-11:30 pain lectures!), assignments = inpatient chronic pain service 1:5 weeks with Monday OR days (only do surgical procedures while on CPS), remaining assignments 2 clinic days for each 1 day of interventional clinic, 1 fluoro suite, good amount of ultrasound use in clinic, moderate procedure numbers (30-40 SCS trials, 10-20 SCS implants, <10 IDDS, adequate clinic facilities, internal anesthesia moonlighting available
Wake Forest:
4 fellows (may increase to 5 for 2011-12), minimal multidisc experience, practice model = private practice, stable leadership & faculty, prominent pain physicians on staff (just recruited Leo Kapural from Cleveland Clinic to rekindle WFU academic hospital pain presence), fellows are happy, feel well-trained, appropriate workload, collegial environment, good clinical experience, lots of research opportunities, lots of procedures (ESI/TFESI ~ 200, IDDS ~ 10, SNS blocks (stellate, LSB, Celiac) ~ 40, Facet blocks ~ 125, SCS (Trial/Perm) ~ 40, Neurolytic blocks (including RFA) ~ 120, Other (Discogram, IDET, Kyphoplasy, Perc facet Arthrodesis) ~ 20 & now more advanced surgical procedures with Kapural), unsure about ultrasound use in clinic, good didactics taught by faculty (Wed AM), assignments = Carolinas Pain Institute (outpt private practice clinic) 8 mos, ASC (Medical Park hospital, Comprehensive Rehabilitation hospital)/APS (WFUBMC academic hospital, Forsyth Memorial private hospital) 4 mos, home call 1:4 weeks, nice clinic facilities (2 fluoro suites), no internal moonlighting for anesthesia
Good luck!
I am currently looking into Pain Fellowships and interested in staying around or in Texas. I have found a lot of good information on here about most of the Texas programs and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the University of Oklahoma Fellowship. Thanks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have there been any significant changes in the scope of the Yale Pain Fellowship with regard to interventional procedural exposure??
Yes. The fellowship no longer exists...
Anybody start applying and hear back about interviews yet?
Yup and Yup.
Are you sure about that?Yes. The fellowship no longer exists...
I know they reopened last year. New PD, assistant PD, etc. However, it's primarily at the New Haven VA.
Are you sure about that?
I know they reopened last year. New PD, assistant PD, etc. However, it's primarily at the New Haven VA.
Yeah, it's kaput. The new PD, Ray Sinatra, closed it with ACGME. He had no interest in keeping it afloat. They had 2 fellows the one year it was accredited, both practicing gas guys. They didn't even accept applications last year because they knew their doors were closing.
I know 1 person LAST year that interviewed at Yale.Yeah, it's kaput. The new PD, Ray Sinatra, closed it with ACGME. He had no interest in keeping it afloat. They had 2 fellows the one year it was accredited, both practicing gas guys. They didn't even accept applications last year because they knew their doors were closing.
Sinatra isn't the PD anymore. It's Dr. Grass.
Does anyone out there have any info on the fellowship at SUNY Upstate Med Ctr in Syracuse NY? I was invited for an interview but know very little about the program. It sounds like they are only interviewing on one day and I'm having a hard time with scheduling.
The Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York
Fellowship/pain division is growing rapidly. 5 fellows. 3 full time pain attendings, 4 part time pain attendings, + 3 person volunteer faculty private pain group (lectures and procedures).
Doing kyphos, CT guided celiacs, starting MILD, in office fluoro suite with anesthesia - lots of B and B. Minimal pumps. Enough stim trials.
Internal anes moonlighting available.
Solid program, no worse than any other in the area. Just got re-accredited for 5 years by ACGME this spring.
New York
Fellowship/pain division is growing rapidly. 5 fellows. 3 full time pain attendings, 4 part time pain attendings, + 3 person volunteer faculty private pain group (lectures and procedures).
Doing kyphos, CT guided celiacs, starting MILD, in office fluoro suite with anesthesia - lots of B and B. Minimal pumps. Enough stim trials.
Internal anes moonlighting available.
Solid program, no worse than any other in the area. Just got re-accredited for 5 years by ACGME this spring.
Hopkins: 5 full time chronic pain faculty including academic superstars Raja and Cohen, other part time faculty include neurosurg attending who does disc procedures with fellows in the clinic. A few full time acute pain attendings, but fellows do minimal PCA managment outside of neurosurg patients. 2 fluoro suites in clinic running full time everyday. 4 fellows, seem to be happy with workload and experience. Not sure about thier moonlighting policy. CT blocks mainly include celiac plexus, but these are done under fluoro as well in the clinic. Plenty of stims and pumps from what I hear. 2 weeks built in research time, anesthesia trained fellows will have 1 mo neuro, 1 mo pain psych and 1 mo pm&r as well as HA clinic exposure. The program will ship fellows out to go to at least 1 big conference and medtronic stim and implant course. I think all their interview invites have been sent out at this point.
Edit: they seem to have a slant towards people with more diverse training backgrounds. Some of their fellows were previously attendings or trained in other specialties prior to anesthesia.
Edit: they seem to have a slant towards people with more diverse training backgrounds. Some of their fellows were previously attendings or trained in other specialties prior to anesthesia.
Who is involved in sexual harassment?Dartmouth is a great program with an excellent PD, but you have to be able to live in the cold. Brrrr. But incredibly nice people to work with adn that will make your year much better.
Cleveland clinic is an amazing training program but is in Cleveland, no LaBron... has a really strong brand name according to a couple friends of mine who are pain doctors.
Hopkins used to be top-notch but really isn't anymore. Cohen is incredible, an academic superstar and I hear very funny. BUT I hear their PD and pain division director are under investigation by their institution for sexual harassment and a bunch of other things, so who knows how long they will be there. That has apparently made it a very toxic environment.
Standford, I haven't heard alot about it but Sean mackey is an academic powerhouse. They also have a big clinic.
BWH - still the best fellowship in the country is what people say. you get lots of experience with interventions but still have a good multi-disciplinary experience with psychology included.
Is there a list of un-accredited pain fellowships somewhere? For example, if one wanted to pursue a career in pain management out of radiology, are there fellowships that would consider such applicants?
I have the same question. We should compare notes.
I never post in this forum, but just interviewed at the university of Chicago. I was really impressed with the program. I am looking for a program that prioritizes education over work and I think this is the place that will give you exactly that. Dr Anitescu was very pleasant and very involved with her fellows. She was very honest answering all my questions and made very clear what I should expect of the program. The working environment seemed very friendly and felt they treated their fellows very well. You should expect lots of teaching, they dedicate an hr daily to lectures early in the morning and as a fellow you are expected to teach to students and residents. My impression was that they do a fair amount of procedures (basic and advanced) and they have a busy outpt clinic, but they go mostly for a multimodal therapy. Apparently they screen their pts very well and they have a strong policy about prescribing narcs.
Two thumbs up to this program, hopefully they liked me as much as I liked them
Two thumbs up to this program, hopefully they liked me as much as I liked them

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should anyone be applying to Cornell, we are interviewing earlier this year (late July/early August) and our first set of interview invitations are going out (about 25). Looking at second round of apps on Monday.
Dear AssMan
I have been reading reviews on this forum for few years. I have noticed that you have not posted anything this year. Can you please give us an insight about this year's plan like when is Cornell interviewing residents? Have the first round of interview invitations been given? Are you looking at anymore applications??
Thanks
Dear AssMan
I have been reading reviews on this forum for few years. I have noticed that you have not posted anything this year. Can you please give us an insight about this year's plan like when is Cornell interviewing residents? Have the first round of interview invitations been given? Are you looking at anymore applications??
Thanks
I was offered (but declined) a Cornell interview as part of their "second batch" two weeks ago.
Jeebus...
why'd you decline the cornell invite?
Feel free to PM
why'd you decline the cornell invite?
Feel free to PM
There's a bunch of posts in this thread of people asking about NYU's program but no actual descriptions of the program. There's one, but it says "I'd rather not do a fellowship than do NYU's" so that is a bit troubling. 🙂 Does anyone have any information on this program?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 2K