Palm pilot programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wallawalla

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know if the 'Wash Manual' or Ferri's 'Care of the Medical Patient' or 'The Scut Monkey' is available in Palm pilot format? If so, where can I get it. (I know Griffin's 5 min Consult is available, but I can't seem to find the others.)

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what type of palm pilot you have and how much does one cost? I understand that you can't use cell phones in most hospitals because they interefere with the telemetry. Can you access the internet via a palm pilot in the hospital?

Thanks!

stick with the PALM IIIx, it the only version that is expandable with more RAM if you need it...as for the programs, i would highly recommend Rapheal PDA for keeping track of your pt's on rounds or (if you feel confident) just get JFILE and create your own databases...however, i have not been able to get mine to sync with my desktop yet so it still has some minor gliches to work with

Members don't see this ad :)
BEFORE anyone buys a Palm III/V/VII, check out the Handsprings first at www.handspring.com. Handsprings use the PalmOS so they are 100% compatible with the original Palms. I researched both the Palms and the Handsprings and went with the Handsprings -- much, much, much better. It costs $250 and comes with 8megs of memory. And I spent an extra $80 to get an additional 8megs. So I now total 16megs of memory when most people buy a Palm with only 2megs and are quite disappointed to find that most of the medical texts are AT LEAST 4megs in size.

Who makes the Handsprings? The guy who designed the original Palm Pilots sold his company (to 3Com?) and then started Handspring. So now he makes a Palm clone that is 100% compatible, cheaper and 100 times better. Just be prepared to wait at least six weeks to get them... they can't be produced fast enough to supply the demand, but the wait is worth it.

Check them out. (And no, I have no stock in the company -- I've just loaded mine up with medical software totaling more than eight megs and am glad I didn't make the mistake of getting the original Palm)

http://www.handspring.com

Gregory

[This message has been edited by Gregory Gulick (edited 12-30-1999).]

Thanks Gregory! I will check out handsprings.

By the way, where do you get the medical texts for the palm pilots? If I have software on my pc can I download it to the palm pilot?

There are dozens of places to get medical software for a PalmOS unit. I generally use www.palmgear.com, www.palmcentral.com, and www.memoware.com.

As for moving medical software from a PC to a PalmOS unit, the answer is generally no -- if you are referring to medical software that actually runs on a PC. For software on a PC to work on a PalmOS unity, the software must either be straight text (in which case you will convert to a PalmOS-compatible format) or it must be a PalmOS-specific application. However, to get PalmOS software onto our PalmOS unit, you can download it on your PC and then use the provided Hot Sync unit (via USB) to send it to your PalmOS unit.

If you have any other questions, just ask. Also, my pricing may have been wrong on the Handspring Visors. The price may start as low as $149 or so.

G. (NSUCOM '03)