Technology Palm Treo 650 vs Palm Treo 700w

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

Izlude_Tingel

To all the techies out there,

I just needed some people's opinion on these two palm phones. I am not a techie by any means so anybody's exp would be greatly appreciated. I am at the end of my phone plan with verizon and I need a new phone. I saw the treos and have to admit they seem really nice. I use a palm Tungsten C ALOT, but I hate carrying both the phone and palm on my rotations all the time. I saw some attendings use the treo and it seems so nice. I have been looking at the Treo 650 and the newer 700w and looked at the review sites for them. They both seem very similar with respect to battery, size, function except the OS. I have to admit I have used Palm OS and windows palm. I really love the Palm OS system for it's simplicity and actually did not like the Windows OS too much on a palm pilot. This was about two years ago so I have been out of touch with how the two operating systems differ these days.

1. Since I really love Palm OS, should I just go with the treo 650? Has the Windows OS changed over the couple of years such that I should give the 700w a serious look?

2. In terms of use, I don't intend to really use the Treo for multimedia too much such as music or anything. I really only use my Palm for drugs/medical info, daily planner, and using it for documents...so Palm OS?

3. I've been shopping around for prices and it seems I can get the treo 650 for about 300 or so, is that a good price?

Anyone who has exp with the 650 or 700, please feel free to post your exp with it.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the 700 looks like it has a little bit bigger screen, which is something I would like (I have the 650). I think that dedicated Palm users will hate PocketPC if you dont have a lot of experience. I think if you shop around and get some good deals, you can get a 650 for under 200 from the right carrier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idiopathic said:
I think the 700 looks like it has a little bit bigger screen, which is something I would like (I have the 650).

Actually, at 240x240 pixels, the screen on the 700w is smaller (lower-resolution) than the 650's 320x320 pixels.

The only reason to buy a 700w is if you really want Windows Mobile. Otherwise, you're probably better off with the 650 and the Palm OS. There's not much else to differentiate the two devices.

KentW said:
Actually, at 240x240 pixels, the screen on the 700w is smaller (lower-resolution) than the 650's 320x320 pixels.

The only reason to buy a 700w is if you really want Windows Mobile. Otherwise, you're probably better off with the 650 and the Palm OS. There's not much else to differentiate the two devices.

http://medicalpda.net

The main reason to get the 700w over the 650 is that it supports EVDO data transfer, which is much faster than the previous generation. EVDO rates range currently in the 400-800 kbps range. If you can wait a bit, it sounds likely that Palm will be producing a 700p or some similar Palm OS-based phone with EVDO as well.

Remember that you have to pay verizon an extra monthly charge for the EVDO service.

The 700w will also allow you hook up an open WIFI network if you
purchase an $80 wifi card. The 650 doesn't really support this card and instead has a WIFI device that doulbes the size of the treo. The downside for the 700w is that the card uses the same slot as your extra memory. :mad: The card also sticks out from the top and looks like it would be easy to lose/break. Supposedly a card that includes memory will be released later this year.

Here's a review for more info:
http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/01/treo_700w_revie_1.html

I'll be starting my internship next year and I've also been looking at a PDA phone. My ideal device - bluetooth, WIFI, pants pocketable, phone first PDA second, touchscreen, one hand operable, costs $250 and stores all the medical software standards. Windows v Palm doesn't really matter to me.

The treo is a pretty good fit but does anyone have a better suggestion?