Palm vs. Pocket PC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BassDominator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a Palm user.... mostly because all my PDAs have been palms, and partly because they used to be a lot cheaper. Now that there isn't much of a price difference, I was considering a Pocket PC to replace my Clie. I use my palm mostly for the date book, to do list, reading ebooks (5 minute clinical consult, sanford guide, washington manual), and other medical software (epocrates, medcalc, abg pro, etc.).

It used to be a lot harder to find pocket PC software.... is this still the case? Does the pocket PC have an interface similar to palm desktop? Do I have to use Outlook? Will it sync with Eudora mail? Which do you think is better for medical applications? Which is faster? Which is more portable? How about battery life? Any other pros/cons you can imagine?

The reasons I'm considering the Pocket PC include: pocket version of microsoft office, web-browsing ability, better multimedia. My reservations include: possibility of not being able to sync with Eudora, having to use Outlook. I'd like to be able to read PDF, but my current 33 Mhz clie is just too slow.... are the new palms/pocket pc much faster?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

if u get a pocket pc u cant get epocrates for free, plus most of the med software are designed for palm interfaces.

BassDominator said:
The reasons I'm considering the Pocket PC include: pocket version of microsoft office, web-browsing ability, better multimedia. My reservations include: possibility of not being able to sync with Eudora, having to use Outlook. I'd like to be able to read PDF, but my current 33 Mhz clie is just too slow.... are the new palms/pocket pc much faster?

Thanks in advance.

The newest Palm Devices come with a pretty solid web browser, PDF functionality, solid multimedia etc.

I just upgraded from an m500 to a tungsten | C. this motherf*cker has a 400mhz processor. I have a server with that much processing power in my bedroom. Plus it has 64mb of ram on board! no waiting for opening from a memory card anymore!

Battery lasts a whole day easy, and the 802.11b is about as easy to configure as they could make it.

Can you tell Im a fan?

Members don't see this ad :)
phllystyl said:
The newest Palm Devices come with a pretty solid web browser, PDF functionality, solid multimedia etc.

I just upgraded from an m500 to a tungsten | C. this motherf*cker has a 400mhz processor. I have a server with that much processing power in my bedroom. Plus it has 64mb of ram on board! no waiting for opening from a memory card anymore!

Battery lasts a whole day easy, and the 802.11b is about as easy to configure as they could make it.

Can you tell Im a fan?

its really tight, i know i can get one for like $280ish, soI'll be getting one pretty soon.
Plus the wireless option is tight!! I have a base link at home, so I can easily download stuff, or even at some coffee shops, and aiports!!

What is web browsing like on the palm? Can you go to any page or does it have to be a special page made for palm?

I'm really partial to Sony.... got a bunch of memory sticks and have had lots of good experiences. I'm considering the Clie TJ37. It has wireless, a camera, 32 mb memory, and I can get it for $179 at OfficeDepot ($100 rebate and $20 coupon). Anyone have experience with this one? How about the UX50 or TG50?

Is there anything big I'm missing out on by not going with a Pocket PC?

BassDominator said:
What is web browsing like on the palm? Can you go to any page or does it have to be a special page made for palm?

I'm really partial to Sony.... got a bunch of memory sticks and have had lots of good experiences. I'm considering the Clie TJ37. It has wireless, a camera, 32 mb memory, and I can get it for $179 at OfficeDepot ($100 rebate and $20 coupon). Anyone have experience with this one? How about the UX50 or TG50?

Is there anything big I'm missing out on by not going with a Pocket PC?

Web browsing allows you to use both a WAP -like series of pages from the palm home page, or you can hit any page you'd like. Some browsers include page reformatting to reduce the amount of side-scrolling as well.

Many memory cards may be compatible with a Palm device, depending on the format.

My father has a lower end clie and loves it, though. The main selling point for me with the T|C was the processor and the ram, as it looks like Palm may chose to allow this model to be upgradable to OS 6. We'll see!

good luck with your decision!

southerndoc said:
Good God, this drives me crazy.

People need to realize that the free version of ePocrates is available for BOTH platforms.

Well, tell us where. :)

southerndoc said:
Good God, this drives me crazy.

People need to realize that the free version of ePocrates is available for BOTH platforms.

Id love to help support the 3v0l 3mp1r3 even more, so please tell me how!

Yeah, I'd love to have a free copy of the PocketPC version... :)

Pocket PC rules, I got several DB uploaded and also the best DSS software can be used on this little machines. If you buy BUY SONY

Sorry, haven't been following this thread lately. Somebody emailed me privately asking where to download ePocrates for PPC.

I went to there website and there is no link. Not sure what's up with that. Perhaps I got in on a beta testing when I downloaded it. I'm now a paying subscriber anyhow.

So, it appears that ePocrates is no longer available for free for PPC. If you absolutely must have ePocrates, and you absolutely will not pay for it, then a Pocket PC is not for you. Better buy a Palm.

Railway said:
Pocket PC rules, I got several DB uploaded and also the best DSS software can be used on this little machines. If you buy BUY SONY

*cough* Sony Makes PalmOS devices, not Pocket PC devices *cough*

Members don't see this ad :)
phllystyl said:
*cough* Sony Makes PalmOS devices, not Pocket PC devices *cough*
LOL!!!!!!!!!!

BassDominator said:
I'm currently a Palm user.... mostly because all my PDAs have been palms, and partly because they used to be a lot cheaper. Now that there isn't much of a price difference, I was considering a Pocket PC to replace my Clie. I use my palm mostly for the date book, to do list, reading ebooks (5 minute clinical consult, sanford guide, washington manual), and other medical software (epocrates, medcalc, abg pro, etc.).

It used to be a lot harder to find pocket PC software.... is this still the case? Does the pocket PC have an interface similar to palm desktop? Do I have to use Outlook? Will it sync with Eudora mail? Which do you think is better for medical applications? Which is faster? Which is more portable? How about battery life? Any other pros/cons you can imagine?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, but all of the things on the WinCE devices are also available on the Palm now, including utilities that will view/edit office files, read PDF, sync to mail, etc. The utilities were free with my Tungsten/E.

And, all you'd have to do to upgrade is (perhaps) change the cable. Just sync the new device, and you're done. With a WinCE device you'd have to export/import data, buy new versions of the apps you have, and load them all.

I had that situation. Had 3 Palm-OS based systems. Then got a Dell Axim last year. Even thought the interface feels nicer, they are less efficient. The most recent Palm PDAs are very decent. They can be used for PDFs, MP3, excellent color screens and are very portable. Look at the Tungstens. I bought the Pocket PC b/c I thought I could surf the web wirelessly. Huge mistake. It's web browser is really bad, and wireless internet did not make sense, I am sure eventually it will. Also Microsoft Office for Pocket PC is good only for viewing files, for editing it is not very usefull.

lf

lf777 said:
I bought the Pocket PC b/c I thought I could surf the web wirelessly. Huge mistake. It's web browser is really bad, and wireless internet did not make sense, I am sure eventually it will. Also Microsoft Office for Pocket PC is good only for viewing files, for editing it is not very usefull.
lf

Agreed on all points. Although I feel very strongly that PocketPC is going to be the platform of the future in the medical workplace, today's devices are probably more inefficient and less cost-effective for med students' needs than are Palm-based PDAs. At least on my Axim X5, web browsing is rarely useful, and wireless speed is slower than I expected. I never use the Pocket Word or Excel unless I get an attachment in Pocket Outlook.

The newest generation of PocketPCs probably do the job very well, with faster integrated wireless, better browsers, keyboards and the like, but they actually cost as much as a budget laptop, which makes you question their value if all you're doing is ePocrates and medical calculators. You probably won't be using wireless during your day in the hospital anyway.

Right now, I'm debating between a Clie and a Palm. The Tungsten C is tempting, but it's not my thing ergonomically. I like the look and feel of the Clie much better, but I've heard the battery doesn't last very long when you have wireless on. Can anybody comment on the wireless battery life for Palm vs. Clie? Thanks.

BassDominator said:
Right now, I'm debating between a Clie and a Palm. The Tungsten C is tempting, but it's not my thing ergonomically. I like the look and feel of the Clie much better, but I've heard the battery doesn't last very long when you have wireless on. Can anybody comment on the wireless battery life for Palm vs. Clie? Thanks.

I too have read that the battery life for clies will using 802.11b is fairly weak.

With my T|C, I have not drained the battery completely yet once. I charge it at night, and surf the web, check my email, etc several times a day, as wel as find a few minutes to play castlevania or final fantasy.

solid. not as long as my 7-days-without-a-charge m500, but then again that thing had a grey screen adn couldnt do half what this does.

no complaints with battery life with the C

Is 802.11g going to come to the Palm universe anytime soon?

Just curious.

--Funkless

BassDominator said:
The new Clie TH-55 supposedly has the longest battery life of any handheld on the market now. Part of it is because it has a large battery (like the Tungsten C), but most of it is because the Sony Handheld engine has a variable internal clock rate, and scales depending on need. Since the Tungsten C is a constant 400 MHz (which is high), and the TH-55 ranges from 10-144 MHz (or something like that), the Tungsten is simply a lot more demanding on its battery.

To answer the obvious question - yes, the Tungsten C is snappier for most things. However, you are unlikely to notice, and will appreciate the longer battery life.

funkless said:
Is 802.11g going to come to the Palm universe anytime soon?

Just curious.

--Funkless

Probably wouldn't help that much. If it's internal, it would use up so much power that it would render battery life useless. It wouldn't work in an external card because the card/handheld interface is limited in speed - much much less than the 54 Mbps that 802.11g can achieve.

And more likely than not, 802.11b should be more than fast enough.

Hi

802.11g is probably only useful in an intranet environment where you are moving large files or streaming media. I do not see a good reason to implement 802.11g in a pocket pc or palm platform, due to the fact that the only thing we need is simple internet access, hotsync, that kind of stuff.

I saw a friend of mine yesterday with a Tungsten T3. Is it something or what ? I am considering switching back to Palm (from pocket pc). My Axim X5 is just too bulky and I thought pocket pc is not sooo good as advertised. Especially for Medicine.

regards, lf

Re: Why g?

I'm not a tech-oriented person AT ALL, but I'm in the process of getting together a wireless home network. Right now, I've got my wife's desktop on a wireless broadband connection (her study doesn't have any phone jacks in it) and I'll be getting a palm and laptop before MS-I starts in August.

My end goal is to be able to access any file I want from my garden (which is within 50 ft of the wireless router). I like to read out there, so to be able to grab online scribes and such without running inside would be keen.

I just figured that, since the laptop and and desktop will both be g, it would be cool if the palm were, too. (Like I said, I'm not very tech savvy. I can see now that it won't matter much.) The router is b compatible, too, so everything should be kosher.

--Funkless

I currently use a Sony Clie T665C and have PiDirect to run the countless Skyscape apps I have off of my memory stick. For Palm OS 4.x, PiDirect is the fastest way to run apps off of the memory stick (it treats the memory stick as part of the internal memory so you don't need to copy the app over to the PDA before loading it) and I've been very happy with it. However, I'm looking to upgrade to a Palm OS 5 PDA and was wondering what your collective experience was with running numerous applications off removable media. Some of the launchers I've tried are unbearably slow once you have more than 10 applications on the memory stick/CF/SD... and unfortunately there is no PiDirect for Palm OS 5. Any suggestions?

My internship is giving me a Dell Axim X5 with uptodate on it. I was thinking of dumping it for an X3. The X5 I've heard is like a brick! Is there any advantage to keeping the X5?

Two points.

1) Be careful with trying to run UpToDate on any of the non-compact flash microdrive PDA models. I emailed the product support (like 3 weeks ago) and found out that they don't support SD(secure digital), even though there are 1GB cards on the market right now (UpToDate needs 800MB).

2) The Dell Axim x3i seems to pack more heat than any other comparable model
:thumbup:
- 400 mHz
- 64MB ROM (that's operating memory, not the MMC, SD or CF stick)
- WiFi
Dell Axim X3i Review

Here's the thing. Nobody else...except the new overpriced toshiba e800 series has 64MB or ROM, All the Tungstens, Toshibas, and Ipaqs have at most 32 MB. As a matter of fact Tungsten C won't even tell you on Cnet.com what the ROM is cause they know they can't compete with the Axim.

Drawbacks?:thumbdown: I guess ugliness. People aren't into the square design. I personally could care less about the design if I know the kind of heat I'm gonna pack with the PDA.

Tru
My $0.02.

P.S. Bluetooth is "so last week";) . In all seriousness, can anybody post something about the actual usefulness of BLUETOOTH? I'm not talking about the "interchanging rings and pictures with my cell phone" crap, but actual stuff (net surfing...). I think it's just gonna fade away (and soon)

Krafty said:
Here's the thing. Nobody else...except the new overpriced toshiba e800 series has 64MB or ROM, All the Tungstens, Toshibas, and Ipaqs have at most 32 MB. As a matter of fact Tungsten C won't even tell you on Cnet.com what the ROM is cause they know they can't compete with the Axim.

Sounds like you looked real hard, what checking only CNET and all.

The tungsten C im holding right here in my left hand comes with 64mb ROM. I get the impression thats kinda standard for all Tungsten Cs, but I could be wrong. Would you mind looking it up on CNET for me? Im no good at the INTERWEB, and I wouldnt want to have to use my 802.11b on my palm, if it has it... that is. Look that up too while yer at it.

On cnet, of course.

</flame>

Krafty said:
Two points.

1) Be careful with trying to run UpToDate on any of the non-compact flash microdrive PDA models. I emailed the product support (like 3 weeks ago) and found out that they don't support SD(secure digital), even though there are 1GB cards on the market right now (UpToDate needs 800MB).

2) The Dell Axim x3i seems to pack more heat than any other comparable model
:thumbup:
- 400 mHz
- 64MB ROM (that's operating memory, not the MMC, SD or CF stick)
- WiFi
Dell Axim X3i Review

Drawbacks?:thumbdown: I guess ugliness. People aren't into the square design. I personally could care less about the design if I know the kind of heat I'm gonna pack with the PDA.

Tru
My $0.02.

P.S. Bluetooth is "so last week";) . In all seriousness, can anybody post something about the actual usefulness of BLUETOOTH? I'm not talking about the "interchanging rings and pictures with my cell phone" crap, but actual stuff (net surfing...). I think it's just gonna fade away (and soon)

apparently, people were predicting bluetooth would overtake wi-fi (802.11) in the future...i dunno how that's gonna happen. does the axims come w/ a Compact flash slot? If so, I think you could put in a 4gb IBM microdrive (commonly used in mp3 players) or 1+ gb CF card in.

waht's up to date?

i saw in jama that the physicina's desk reference (PDR) was giving out free medicaiton reference software to medical students...includes pocket pc. anyone check it out yet? i don't have a pocket pc so haven't tried it out. is it comparable to epocrates, which everyone has been raving about?

musicman1991 said:
My internship is giving me a Dell Axim X5 with uptodate on it. I was thinking of dumping it for an X3. The X5 I've heard is like a brick! Is there any advantage to keeping the X5?
Two things I can think of:
1) X5 has a CF slot, in addition to the SD (not SDIO) slot.
2) X5 has a much better battery life. Maybe twice as long.

phllystyl said:
Sounds like you looked real hard, what checking only CNET and all.

The tungsten C im holding right here in my left hand comes with 64mb ROM. I get the impression thats kinda standard for all Tungsten Cs, but I could be wrong. Would you mind looking it up on CNET for me? Im no good at the INTERWEB, and I wouldnt want to have to use my 802.11b on my palm, if it has it... that is. Look that up too while yer at it.

On cnet, of course.

You're not getting all sarcastic on me are ya...?

How's this...
Cnet.com doesn't say how much ROM
ZDnet.com doesn't say how much ROM
Procegrabber.com (tech specs) doesn't say how much ROM
palmone.com doesn't say how much ROM ("64 installed memory")
amazon.com review don't say squat bout ROM
infosyncworld.com -- nada
the-gadgeneet.com -- nuthin'

am I wrong about all this...or do they mean ROM when they say RAM (which they say a lot). I know it's got an SD slot. Anyway, this is pointless.

Look, I have nothing against the palm based systems. I just think that for 300 bonez one might get a lot of bang (400mHz, 64 ROM, WiFi) with no nonsense like CF or bluetooth, except for some ugliness and compact case. I personally think thats a good deal.

And if you want bluetooth, just get SDIO bluetooth card for the SD slot. No BFD.

Btw here's some articles about the bleak future of bluetooth.
Bye, Bye, Bluetooth
Wi-Fi gets fast, real fast

Again I would like anybody to come forward and tell us about any FUNCTIONAL uses they got out of bluetooth, other than the shiny, pretty, flashing blue light.

Paix

Speaking of technology, has anyone played withthe TabletPC platform?

Hi

This thread is getting better everyday.

- First, for connecting all Wifi devices in your house, obviously then it makes sense to have a 802.11g if all your devices are g. I don't know if the PDAs are already G or not, maybe they are even hybrids (b/g)

- I am using PDR for Pocket PC. It is fairly decent, i.e. contains the standard information I need, but nothing fancy. I use also Micromedex, which seems to be better than PDR. But PDR is free not only for medical students, for for any medical staff.

- Bluetooth: even though I have not used bluetooth, I guess it is useful for cell phone users and wireless headsets. You could potentially couple it to a
Wifi PDA and use it as a Wireless phone at home with vonage/packet8/skype type of deals. I am not sure if it is supported though, but theoreticaly it is very possible. The price of Bluetooth has decreased signifficantly, and I think USB-wireless is still far from coming to the market. So the only option right now is still Bluetooth, and I think it is still going to get more popular for now.

My .02.

Lf

Krafty said:
You're not getting all sarcastic on me are ya...?

How's this...
Cnet.com doesn't say how much ROM
ZDnet.com doesn't say how much ROM
Procegrabber.com (tech specs) doesn't say how much ROM
palmone.com doesn't say how much ROM ("64 installed memory")
amazon.com review don't say squat bout ROM
infosyncworld.com -- nada
the-gadgeneet.com -- nuthin'

am I wrong about all this...or do they mean ROM when they say RAM (which they say a lot). I know it's got an SD slot. Anyway, this is pointless.

Look, I have nothing against the palm based systems. I just think that for 300 bonez one might get a lot of bang (400mHz, 64 ROM, WiFi) with no nonsense like CF or bluetooth, except for some ugliness and compact case. I personally think thats a good deal.

Paix

RAM == ROM in this case, yes. And the Tungsten C doesnt have bluetooth, it has 802.11b integrated, an SD slot, and a 400mhz processor. And there will be a major pricecut soon.

As far as bluetooth, even though I dont have it in my palm... it is starting to appear in phones. When it is in a phone, and you have a bt phone and bt device, be it laptop or palm, you are always online.

If the phone integration continues to increase, then it will have an impact. It is dependant on that.

I recently bought a Sony Clie PEG-UX50 off of ebay for 400 bucks. The thing is awesome. It slices, dices, and makes sweet potato curly fries. I'm going to try to use it to record lectures and save it to my PC at home. It's really easy to use the multimedia functions and the keyboard is so much faster than graffiti and I've used graffiti for 5+ years already with my other Palms. It's really light and has a TON of memory available. It also has amazing battery life... I multi task games with mp3s all the time and have never drained the battery. I haven't tried the wireless internet yet because I haven't had the opportunity. If you want a power palm I'd go ebay... it was really worth it for me.

What's the most efficient/user-friendly/cost-effective PDA for someone that doesn't want a phone or camera with their PDA? I was planning on buying one this weekend. Any ideas?

I got a HP iPAQ4155 for 400 dollars with instant rebate with everything(bluetooth, wireless, Infrared...it was ranked number 2 on cnet.com and I see a lot of residents at Children's mercy hospital in KC using that model when I shadowed there. there are free programs like diagnostisaurus and you school library may have special contracts with companies, mine has a groupd discount rate for epocrates DX and RX pro for 50.00...also my school gives out a free pharmacology program to use...

Krafty said:

I don't know about the future of bluetooth with regards to PDA's, but I've gotten a lot of use out of the BT functionality of my Tungsten T and Ericsson T610. With WiFi, you have to be in a 'hot spot' in order to have any functionality at all. My bluetooth connection to my phone allows me to get online anywhere I have a cell phone signal by dialing up to my ISP. Most GSM phones have built-in functionality to serve as a modem--BT allows it to communicate with the palm, and I never have to take the phone out of my pocket. It only costs me cell-phone minutes, and if it's on the weekend, it only costs battery-life. I can check and send email virtually anywhere with a palm. I don't have to have a flat surface to line up an infrared port (like I had to with my m515). I can get directions from mapquest while riding down the interstate (saved my butt several times).

The connection is very slow in comparison to WiFi, but I rarely use it for leisurely browsing. I've considered switching to a WiFi device, but for now, I'd lose functionality, since the only place I ever spend much time around an available network is home, and I've got my PC there. (I do, however have a BT dongle attached to the PC, which allows my palm to share my PC's DSL connection when I'm at home. That's some fast BT browsing)

for anyone looking to buy right now, dell has palm/clie/axim on sale, 10% off. I bought a sony clie th-55 for $360, no shipping fee or taxes. I was really impressed with the user interface/palm os/wi-fi.

Anybody looking for a palm/pocket pc should check out www.xpbargains.com - they list all the best deals for electronics from all the major websites. I scored my Toshiba e755 for $350 from amazon.com on a deal they had listed - and that was 6 months ago. I also used the site to find deals on my previous 3 PDAs. (I seem to be cursed with a rapant ability to destroy electronic devices :smuggrin: ) Seriously, I'm not plugging the site for profit - its worth checking out. And as for my two cents - pocket PCs kick mucho a$$-o. From what I have seen, the X3i is probably the best bang-for-the-buck you'll find. If you've got no cash-flow issues, go with the Toshiba 800 series or HP5555. Those things will out-perform laptops from 2 years ago. (well, almost.)
-JL

One thing I hate about Pocket PC's: whenever you do a hard reset, if you have given your device a custom name, then you have to rename it with a new custom name. For some reason ActiveSync won't allow you to rename it to the same thing that you used before. It's a pain in the arse. (Maybe there's a workaround for this and I'm just not aware of it.)

southerndoc said:
One thing I hate about Pocket PC's: whenever you do a hard reset, if you have given your device a custom name, then you have to rename it with a new custom name. For some reason ActiveSync won't allow you to rename it to the same thing that you used before. It's a pain in the arse. (Maybe there's a workaround for this and I'm just not aware of it.)

yeah, this is a pain. perhaps someone out there knows a better work-around, but i just ended up deleting the old names and cycling through them again. big pain. of course it was a bigger pain when a year after spending WAY too much on a toshiba (plus extra battery as the one included sucked) the damn thing died. so now perhaps i should consider palm...
maybe i wanted too much, but for the price (and i was sort of hoping my employer would cover it, which they didn't) the toshiba e740 crashed too much and died way too young.

southerndoc said:

there is a work around. while ur pda is NOT connected, navigate as follows:

file>mobile devices>select the profile you want deleted

then

file>delete partnership

do this as many times as you need to to get rid of the extra partnerships.

What I'm curious about is how long do the rechargablity (is that a word?) last on Palms and Pocket PC.

I noticed on the Dell's that you can change out the batteries. do any others offer that? I seem to drain the life out of batteries, after awhile I can't seem to get them to recharge anymore. :( So I don't want invest good money into one that I will have to throw away cuz the battery can't be changed out. :mad:

Thanks everyone yall's input so far has been educational.