Technology Palmone Treo 600

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doctor Wyldstyle

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Probably another beaten question but doesn't anyone else have this PDA Phone? I haven't seen any other med students with it but clearly see alot of business professionals. Great overall phone to check email, use programs and smaller than Tungsten C. Also use as a pager at times and great for scheduling.

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/smartphones/treo600/

anyhow, it could be tweaked quite a bit and definitely work a look if your considering a pda phone with keyboard. email me if you want tips or recommended programs.

peace,
wyldstyle
 
I've had t600 for 3 months and I love it! I am a heavy PDA user and I was using Tungsten C for about a year before I got my t. I don't use a lot of multimedia fnctns, t600 screen is ok for me (it is low res); I can also live w/o Bluetooth since I don't spend that much time on the phone. I love the little keyboard and I type notes and messeges on it all the time. I also bought a 1 gig card ($59) and loaded like a million med programs on it which I use as a reference all the time. I also use instant messeging to talk to my other intern-friends from other hospitals (nice to comisarate when we are on call at the same time). Camera in t600 is crappy though- 0.3 megapixel, so I never use it. In terms of carrying it- I just throw it in one of my white coat pockets so it is always with me at the hospital. One problem with t600- many units have technical problems; I am on my 3rd treo now. So, if you are going to get it, get it from your wireless carrier and GET INSURANCE! That way you can always replace it when your 1 year warranty runs out.

If you want to read more about t600, visit www.treocentral.net and click on discussion forums.

Good luck,
 
heh, JR your use of the Treo 600 is nearly identical to mine!! I only have the 256Mb SD card though. 😎 Treocentral is really good for info but I wish they had a specific forum for doctors / med students. Rocking right now with residency interview trail. anyhow, here's some of my favorite programs/uses:

verichat - rocks for multi messaging with keyboard
mail - man, getting my email asap is a MUST.
splashID - once again, keyboard rocks and helps with all the damn log-ins, membership numbers, etc
bob's alarm - timer, stopwatch, alarm is awesome for studying
lightwave - using mp3's for an alarm or ringer
ptunes deluxe - Play MP3s... so I can live without a iPod for now
documents to go 7 - This ROCKS man. Great for editing files i need.
spyhunter - classic video game

All the med programs like epocrates in general seem better with the keyboard. I agree that bluetooth isn't so much a factor. I wanted wi-fi for awhile but since I tend to be outiside of a network like on a bus or train, it makes sense to have internet on the phone.

The Treo 650 is pretty dope but man, GSM ain't out till January!! 👍

wyldstyle

p.s. I agree with warranty. I physically beat the heck out of my last Treo 600. Eventually it started to have a buzzing noise so they sent me a new one and I sent my old one back in a matter of 3 days. Now its like new! 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
to any treo users or just palm os users in general:

i just got a new treo 650 and i want to know what i need to go with it in terms of software and memory. i have a mac so i wasn't sure what software/program i should use to sync my treo and if any other software would be useful. will icalender sync with the treo or do i need to get something like isync to make that work? also, what size memory card does anyone recommend getting, i have no idea how much memory different programs will use.

thanks.
 
I (premed) use the Samsung I-500. It is the smallest (by weight) palm-based PDA phone out there. It does everything I need it to do, but doesn't necessarily have all the bells and whistles (like a camera) the treo 600 has. You make up for that since it is lighter and more "phone like" Unlike the treo, iit is a true flip phone (as opposed to a useless protective flip lid). If you want one, you need to go to a sprint store. You can probably check out both the treo and the I-500 at the same time for comparison.
 
jwin said:
to any treo users or just palm os users in general:

i just got a new treo 650 and i want to know what i need to go with it in terms of software and memory. i have a mac so i wasn't sure what software/program i should use to sync my treo and if any other software would be useful. will icalender sync with the treo or do i need to get something like isync to make that work? also, what size memory card does anyone recommend getting, i have no idea how much memory different programs will use.

thanks.

Try this website.
 
I recently got the 600, and I am happy with it. I am in the process of applying for the insurance policy now. There is a 7 day limit to qualify for insurance from the day you make your order, so thanks for the advice!
 
Yay. Its finaly here. The Palmone Treo 650 is on the palmone site for Cingular and so I ordered one yesterday. Loved the 600 but the 650 should have some refinements I need.

http://www.palmone.com/us/

Anyhow, my search for the ultimate PDA or Phone has gone like this....

1. Typical organizer and Pager
2. ATT Nokia 6160 + Palm IIIE
3. ATT 8290 + Palm IIIE
4. Handspring Treo 270 (T-Mobile)
5. Palm Tungsten C + Nokia 5190 (T-Mobile)
5. Palmone Treo 600 (T-Moile)
6. Palmone Treo 650 (Cingular) :meanie: