Panicing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joejoe22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Archive

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
not necessarily,

if you have two years left still. You still have time to show what you are made of. Bring your GPA up so you have a nice upward trend.

Score ~21AA+ with decent ECs, you have a good chance.

I'm in my third year at U of M and am starting to seriously get worried about my admittance to dental school. My gpa stands just below a 3.0 (2.9 something). I received three C's over my years here, 2 of them in non science classes. Even though technically my science gpa is higher than my cumulative, they are both still low. What kind of DAT numbers do I need to make up for my gpa. Granted I still have two years left, I only have difficult classes to go. Any words of wisdom?

Two years?
If you are a traditional student, you would apply at the end of your 3rd year, so you actually only have one year left.
With that said, as Demps pointed out, if you have an upward trend and get get your GPA to a 3.3 or something, you should be fine.
As for DATs, try to get 22+ and apply to schools that put a large emphasis on DAT scores. Columbia comes to mind.
At the end of the day, all you can do is keep on trying and keep those fingers :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Two years?
If you are a traditional student, you would apply at the end of your 3rd year, so you actually only have one year left.
With that said, as Demps pointed out, if you have an upward trend and get get your GPA to a 3.3 or something, you should be fine.
As for DATs, try to get 22+ and apply to schools that put a large emphasis on DAT scores. Columbia comes to mind.
At the end of the day, all you can do is keep on trying and keep those fingers :xf:

So what you are telling him is.... get 98th percentile on the DAT and he will be fine. :p

So what you are telling him is.... get 98th percentile on the DAT and he will be fine. :p

As scary as that sounds, but with a sub-3 GPA, yes. That is exactly what he needs to do. And with a bit of luck, you can shoot for a 28 :thumbup:
Since we all know 22+ is just pure luck

As scary as that sounds, but with a sub-3 GPA, yes. That is exactly what he needs to do. And with a bit of luck, you can shoot for a 28 :thumbup:
Since we all know 22+ is just pure luck

Yeah. The DAT isn't an incredibly hard test, it just requires an incredible amount of studying. You don't have to rely on crazy smarts or crazy luck. You just have to be willing to sacrifice lots of time (although for this, having some money saved up so you don't have to work would be a huge help).

A year of solid grades and months (yes months) of studying for the DAT will get you there. At least that's what I think (for whatever my opinion's worth).

Good luck!

Yeah with a 22+ you should be fine. Just work on the GPA up until you apply. Also make sure you've got some professors who really know you well and know how much you want to go to dental school. That way they can say some really good things about you.

A 22 is not impossible. It all depends on how much you study. I do think that getting above a 22 has a lot to do with your luck. But who knows you may be lucky :) but you can definitely get a 22. Maybe with 3 months of studying 10 hours a day. It can definitely happen though.

He has to 4.0 this entire year to stand a chance at even applying as a trad student... it would raise him to above a 3.0 but he would be an even stronger applicant if he 4.0 this year AND the next year. At that point he should apply right after he graduates.

You'll have a year off so find something nice to do!

Rushing is never a good thing...
Rushing onto a battlefield during war ~> death
Rushing on your applications when you aren't ready ~> waste of money/emotional trauma/self-doubt/heart ache/nosy parents/nosy coworkers/nosy neighbors

Average age of incoming dental students is around a 24 or so I believe.

he has to 4.0 this entire year to stand a chance at even applying as a trad student... It would raise him to above a 3.0 but he would be an even stronger applicant if he 4.0 this year and the next year. At that point he should apply right after he graduates.

You'll have a year off so find something nice to do!

Rushing is never a good thing...
Rushing onto a battlefield during war ~> death
rushing on your applications when you aren't ready ~> waste of money/emotional trauma/self-doubt/heart ache/nosy parents/nosy coworkers/nosy neighbors

average age of incoming dental students is around a 24 or so i believe.

+1