PANICKING! School forcing me to defer or transfer

Started by Pezeveng
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jeeze, this is just the gift that keeps on giving.

Competently run Admissions offices do not offer IIs, much less acceptances, to people who don't have the prerequisites, nor do they make up stuff after the fact to fix problems pf the school's making.

Finally, this "your AP classes might not satisfy our requirements" problem started on June 24 and seems to have been somewhat resolved by June 29 when the administration admitted to the students that their AP credits were fine and a scholarship was offered to those that would transfer to the Middletown campus. Mistakes happen at every school. At least Touro began to seriously fix their mistake in a pretty short time. Obviously, it would have been better if these two mistakes had not been made in the first place (the overaccepting and the AP deficient problem), but at least the administration realized they messed up and changed course pretty quickly (by saying AP would be ok and offering a scholarship to transfer to the Middletown campus).


While overbooking is rare, it does happen, and the below is how competently run medical schools fix the problem.

Texas journalists? Can you elaborate?????

They offer transfer scholarships in such an instance as soon as the mistake of over-acceptance is made.

They do not spontaneously and retroactively change their entrance requirements or threaten students into transferring to another campus less than one month before matriculation.

It is very newsworthy and you've got the attention of journalists as far away as Texas.


Again, people who know what they're doing in Admissions do NOT do this.
I'm actually one of the students that got the email saying that I was deficient in two of my prereq courses after I was accepted. They seem to be correcting their mistake, which is why I am defending them. They never said they would rescinded anyone's acceptance. They were considering forcing students to defer a year until they "made up their required coursework". TouroCOM definitely made a mistake, but I give them credit for fixing the mistake within a week. Obviously, it was stressful for anyone that got that email for about a week, but I believe that if a problem is fixed in a timely matter it is better to move on than to stay upset. (One thing I will admit though, is that I will feel relief once I start classes. There is this small worry that something else could go wrong but I'm trying to stay positive and hope that everything will be fine because at least right now I am happy that I chose to attend Touro, despite the administrative mess up.)


I rest my case. FYI, LUCOM has many other deficits on top of this.
LUCOM did it their first year.
 
It makes sense that hellobello18 would feel bad that his friend was treated badly by TouroCOM (even if Touro admitted they made a mistake and got it resolved after about one week). It also makes sense that people that were keeping up with the developments would want to know all the details on how it is being resolved.

It also makes sense that Pezeveng, now that the course deficiency problems have been resolved, still likes TouroCOM, is excited to begin there and doesn't want people to say bad things about Touro, especially things that are wrong or unsubstantiated. I also don't have the desire to have negative comments directed at me and don't want negative subjective or just plain wrong attacks against the school I am about to attend.

This is all well and good but please keep in mind that I'm not some rando stranger who isn't familiar with the school. I was a Touro Masters student this past year so I know what I'm talking about when I say something negative about the school or the administration. Other than your interview day and any other visits you might have had, both you and OP are not familiar with the school. So do not make the mistake of talking down to someone who spent like..thousands of hours at the school you're about to attend.

If the school got things squared away for you, wonderful. But don't act like people are being sooooo out of line for questioning the unusual circumstances surrounding the school. That's all from me on this topic.
 
Not sure what you're talking about. The scholarship is $5625/year..
Gross, if true. I can't believe anyone actually took that ****.
It makes sense that hellobello18 would feel bad that his friend was treated badly by TouroCOM (even if Touro admitted they made a mistake and got it resolved after about one week). It also makes sense that people that were keeping up with the developments would want to know all the details on how it is being resolved.

It also makes sense that Pezeveng, now that the course deficiency problems have been resolved, still likes TouroCOM, is excited to begin there and doesn't want people to say bad things about Touro, especially things that are wrong or unsubstantiated. I also don't have the desire to have negative comments directed at me and don't want negative subjective or just plain wrong attacks against the school I am about to attend.
Well yeah of course. The guy is going to the school and want to believe the best of it because he doesn't have a choice but to suck it up. I wish all the best for him, but it's not logic that's motivating his defense of the school. The rest of us want future applicants to be aware of the mess they're getting themselves into.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They made an incredible miscalculation on how to handle the situation.
They were going to get a huge PR hit to their reputation.
They would have likely been sued
They would have an incoming class on the edge
 
My point, hellobello18, is that every so often you hear about an md or do school that accepted too many students one year and they offer scholarships to defer/transfer campuses when it happens. The way Touro eventually reacted (by offering a scholarship) is pretty typical and so far at least, I really don't think it is newsworthy.

Actually this is stone cold bull****. No MD school does this. Nor is it common for DO schools to do this

It isn't commonplace and acting like it is (especially from someone who is clearly a tuoro administrator) is even more ridiculous. The situation alone shows a lack of planning and foresight which is something that your administration should have. But the initial reaction of Tuoro shows how expendible they view their incoming students. That is a problem.

Now, they have people from the administration trying to coming to SDN to put out propaganda to lessen the blow to their school. I hope students see you and see Tuoro for exactly what they are.
 
To be honest, this scandal was a good thing. As posted in the other page, Touro makes a profit of 40K off each student every year.

Our tuition has quickly been rising and gone up from 37k to 50k in just a couple of years. With this scandal, and lack of applicant interest in the upcoming cycle, Touro can finally take a break from ripping students off to fund the opening/buying of Touro Middletown, NYMC, Touro Dental school all within the span of a few years.

Maybe now the tuition increases will be reigned in for a while.
 
This is entertaining. I just checked, and the class of 2020 isn't talking about this in the Facebook group anymore...but sdn is still going hard. I love you all lol
Happy Independence Day <3 hope you get to see some fireworks!!!
 
I wonder, if those who were forced to defer withdrew their apps and reapplied next year, would it make them dead on arrival for many DO schools even given the explanation of what happened? @Goro?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a situation that I would forgive reapplying for. Given competitive nature of Touro candidates, I'll wager that they have back up schools this season.
It would be difficult to give up a guaranteed sent next year at touro and oh through the application process agaim
 
I wonder, if those who were forced to defer withdrew their apps and reapplied next year, would it make them dead on arrival for many DO schools even given the explanation of what happened? @Goro?

People on SDN have stated being accepted to DO schools in the past, turning down said acceptance and then were accepted again. You are not DOA, but you chances have tanked for some schools, but not for all. One of the largest reason people don't turn down acceptances is that one has to wait 2 years and then spend more money to apply. Its SDN logical fallacy to think your chances are zero if you turn down an acceptance, but it is definitely true your chances are lower though (even in this situation).

I think there was one dude on here more recently who turn down their acceptance and then was interviewed by the same school. I am trying to figure out where the SDN logic went wrong on that...
 
Last edited:
Especially not with the new AACOMAS policy in place, you can only hold one spot now. It is kind of sad to see such a good policy in place now looking like a bad one because of this fiasco.

Its definitely a good policy, but the truth of the matter is that along with it COCA should have a policy that protects accepted students from abuse like this after that May deadline.

If the money really is $5625/yr, that honestly is still ridiculous. It doesn't even cover the tuition of one year. It might be enough for people to get their plane ticket and lease money back, but it in no way makes up for having to defer for a year, or even in my opinion having to move campuses after already being accepted at another.

They should have done what every other reasonable school does and cover at least a full year of tuition. Again, it's not like the students have much of a choice, so we can't blame them for sticking with the school, it just sucks. Oh well, at least it's all out there, so people know what to expect.
 
Its definitely a good policy, but the truth of the matter is that along with it COCA should have a policy that protects accepted students from abuse like this after that May deadline.

If the money really is $5625/yr, that honestly is still ridiculous. It doesn't even cover the tuition of one year. It might be enough for people to get their plane ticket and lease money back, but it in no way makes up for having to defer for a year, or even in my opinion having to move campuses after already being accepted at another.

They should have done what every other reasonable school does and cover at least a full year of tuition. Again, it's not like the students have much of a choice, so we can't blame them for sticking with the school, it just sucks. Oh well, at least it's all out there, so people know what to expect.
It's still not clear how the problems were resolved. It seemed like they were overcapacity and are likely still are.
 
Hey y'all!

I wanted to weigh in on this situation because I finally got around to making an SDN username lol. I've been following this thread for awhile and it's been interesting to contrast what's going on in the FB group vs. sdn. I was accepted to to touroNYC in feb and was in the facebook group for awhile but finally left after that poor girl who posted got ripped apart for what I think will help touroNYC in the long run. The OP keeps mentioning imposters in the group but aside from her (and I guess me because I'm not going there) I don't really know what OP is talking about. To me, it seemed like the boy who re-posted her post was trying to stir the pot because I never even saw her post- it was gone when I looked for it. I am glad that I'll be attending a different DO school that still affords me the opportunity to do NYC rotations after hearing about this.

I also want to give a shoutout to @Goro, I've been stalking your advice for about a year, lol. Thanks for the help!
 
Hey y'all!

I wanted to weigh in on this situation because I finally got around to making an SDN username lol. I've been following this thread for awhile and it's been interesting to contrast what's going on in the FB group vs. sdn. I was accepted to to touroNYC in feb and was in the facebook group for awhile but finally left after that poor girl who posted got ripped apart for what I think will help touroNYC in the long run. The OP keeps mentioning imposters in the group but aside from her (and I guess me because I'm not going there) I don't really know what OP is talking about. To me, it seemed like the boy who re-posted her post was trying to stir the pot because I never even saw her post- it was gone when I looked for it. I am glad that I'll be attending a different DO school that still affords me the opportunity to do NYC rotations after hearing about this.

I also want to give a shoutout to @Goro, I've been stalking your advice for about a year, lol. Thanks for the help!

The reason she got "ripped apart" was because she was not a TouroCOM student and had absolutely nothing to do with the issue! Again, she is not now or has ever been a TouroCOM student or matriculant or alumnus. It was not appropriate for her, AT ALL, to do what she did when she is in no way associated with Touro. It's like me going to the NYT and sending facebook posts from LECOM Bradenton facebook page about students living suitcase-to-suitcase while completing rotations about how cheap LECOM is with clinical education when I have nothing to with LECOM. It's highly inappropriate. Is it legal? Of course! Is it professional? No. Doing something like this as a resident might jeopardize your work. Also, the fact that she did it within 5 days of the issue being discussed makes me question her motives. We were just notified that administrators were fired and that the Dean was just starting to step in and figure out what was going on. Most of us were pretty confident, at that point, that it was going to be resolved but, again, she, who is in no way involved with Touro or this issue or receiving updates from administrators/secretaries , leaked our messages and posts from 5 days ago, when most of us were really emotionally charged and angry and frustrated.
 
It's like me going to the NYT and sending facebook posts from LECOM Bradenton facebook page about students living suitcase-to-suitcase while completing rotations about how cheap LECOM is with clinical education when I have nothing to with LECOM. It's highly inappropriate. Is it legal? Of course! Is it professional? No. Doing something like this as a resident might jeopardize your work.

Get a grip.

You
started a thread entitled "PANICKING"! that's gained over 18,000 views, you had a multiple freak-out posts claiming you were only 24 and no clue what to do (since when did being 24 still make you an adolescent?), you have been fueling this fire with even more freak-out posts, you effectively lied about how the scholarship was "really generous," and now you are obliquely slandering other schools while making conspiratorial allegations with exactly zero proof. Why do you think the administrators were so quick to respond? Because somebody with more courage than you made a stink about it. But now you are advising others to keep quiet. Shame on you.

I'm glad that you are happy that things worked out well for you. But the school that you love has royally shafted some of your colleagues. Your colleagues have my sympathies. You have absolutely none. I hope this school gets publically named-and-shamed through all the appropriate channels, so they won't ever think about pulling this nonsense again.
 
Last edited:
I've asked the mods to close this thread. If you have anything else to tell me feel free to message me.
 
That's what you get for wanting to go to a school run by incompetent jerks. Hey, did they ever give that building a paint job?
 
The reason she got "ripped apart" was because she was not a TouroCOM student and had absolutely nothing to do with the issue! Again, she is not now or has ever been a TouroCOM student or matriculant or alumnus. It was not appropriate for her, AT ALL, to do what she did when she is in no way associated with Touro. It's like me going to the NYT and sending facebook posts from LECOM Bradenton facebook page about students living suitcase-to-suitcase while completing rotations about how cheap LECOM is with clinical education when I have nothing to with LECOM. It's highly inappropriate. Is it legal? Of course! Is it professional? No. Doing something like this as a resident might jeopardize your work. Also, the fact that she did it within 5 days of the issue being discussed makes me question her motives. We were just notified that administrators were fired and that the Dean was just starting to step in and figure out what was going on. Most of us were pretty confident, at that point, that it was going to be resolved but, again, she, who is in no way involved with Touro or this issue or receiving updates from administrators/secretaries , leaked our messages and posts from 5 days ago, when most of us were really emotionally charged and angry and frustrated.


I actually think she mentioned that she was taking their summer classes in her post. So she kind of was associated with touro if you ask me. And I'm curious to know what messages and posts were leaked. I really don't think a times reporter cares that much about Touro. I spent a decent part of my life living in NYC and I can tell you that this is not front page news. I mean yeah, it would make an interesting article and I do think it would help the situation, but when we have a Trump/Clinton race going on there are much more important things to talk about. Just my 2 cents.
 
I actually think she mentioned that she was taking their summer classes in her post. So she kind of was associated with touro if you ask me. And I'm curious to know what messages and posts were leaked. I really don't think a times reporter cares that much about Touro. I spent a decent part of my life living in NYC and I can tell you that this is not front page news. I mean yeah, it would make an interesting article and I do think it would help the situation, but when we have a Trump/Clinton race going on there are much more important things to talk about. Just my 2 cents.

As has been mentioned a few times, it isn't front page news. It would show up in the education section.

I'm really not sure why people think the only news worth reporting belongs on the front page... You all know that newspapers are more than the front page and sports section, right? You think all the reporters working at NYT are covering the same 4 things?

At this point, I'm personally much more interested in just about anything besides the same Clinton/Trump nonsense day in and out. But maybe that's just me.
 
Also glad this thread is being shut down. Finally @Pezeveng is doing something useful. Everyone is now aware of the problems at Touro and theres no point in presenting facts when the people defending the school refuse to take off their rose-tinted glasses
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lolololol 5k scholarship. Touro is trying hard to back track on this, but I'm guessing they're going to probably end up paying out significantly more by the end of the month.

Its definitely a good policy, but the truth of the matter is that along with it COCA should have a policy that protects accepted students from abuse like this after that May deadline.

If the money really is $5625/yr, that honestly is still ridiculous. It doesn't even cover the tuition of one year. It might be enough for people to get their plane ticket and lease money back, but it in no way makes up for having to defer for a year, or even in my opinion having to move campuses after already being accepted at another.

They should have done what every other reasonable school does and cover at least a full year of tuition. Again, it's not like the students have much of a choice, so we can't blame them for sticking with the school, it just sucks. Oh well, at least it's all out there, so people know what to expect.

I agree. Plenty of students likely turned down amazing schools to attend Touro. You cannot then proceed to rob them of a year without any compensation. If COCA/ AACOMAS does nothing then it's a big deal.
 
This thread perfectly exemplifies why pre-med advisors always tell you "don't listen to anything you read on SDN."

This thread has turned into a huge mess of speculation and misinformation. While there are some really major issues brought up here, most of this thread has been people exaggerating them and blowing them out of proportion, and then using it to bash Touro students and DOs in general. Why did "Asked to defer" become "forcible rescinding of admission?" This thread is like a sick game of telephone. I swear you guys just want to beleive the worst about everything. Look, the AP credits issue was BAD. The effects it had on our incoming class were awful. But the fact is that we don't even know the story behind it. Do we actually have any evidence that it wasn't just a stupid administrative error? I mean, I could see why it would be a logical conclusion, but we don't really know anything. To me, it seems like the school is far more interested in transferring people to middletown than deferring students. They're not offering scholarships to defer...at least not yet anyway.

Oh yeah, and that scholarship to transfer to middletown: For people concerned about money who didn't have their heart set on living in NYC, it's actually a pretty good deal. True, ~5k a year is a small amount relative to cost of attendance, but you also save $15k a year in living expenses. Could it be better? Yeah. But it's not nothing. Graduating with a debt of ~290k instead of ~360k is significant. And you still start medical school this year! I don't know about you guys, but when I applied to medical school, I would have been happy to go to a school in the middle of nowhere if it meant I could become a doctor...and middletown, while not NYC, isn't nowhere. Am I nervous that it won't be enough to compensate those who already signed a lease? Yes, but that doesn't mean it's not a decent deal for some people.

Look, I'm not saying Touro are a bunch of angels. There are definitely some real problems, but can we try to keep a level head here?
 
This thread perfectly exemplifies why pre-med advisors always tell you "don't listen to anything you read on SDN."

This thread has turned into a huge mess of speculation and misinformation. While there are some really major issues brought up here, most of this thread has been people exaggerating them and blowing them out of proportion, and then using it to bash Touro students and DOs in general. Why did "Asked to defer" become "forcible rescinding of admission?" This thread is like a sick game of telephone. I swear you guys just want to beleive the worst about everything. Look, the AP credits issue was BAD. The effects it had on our incoming class were awful. But the fact is that we don't even know the story behind it. Do we actually have any evidence that it wasn't just a stupid administrative error? I mean, I could see why it would be a logical conclusion, but we don't really know anything. To me, it seems like the school is far more interested in transferring people to middletown than deferring students. They're not offering scholarships to defer...at least not yet anyway.

Oh yeah, and that scholarship to transfer to middletown: For people concerned about money who didn't have their heart set on living in NYC, it's actually a pretty good deal. True, ~5k a year is a small amount relative to cost of attendance, but you also save $15k a year in living expenses. Could it be better? Yeah. But it's not nothing. Graduating with a debt of ~290k instead of ~360k is significant. And you still start medical school this year! I don't know about you guys, but when I applied to medical school, I would have been happy to go to a school in the middle of nowhere if it meant I could become a doctor...and middletown, while not NYC, isn't nowhere. Am I nervous that it won't be enough to compensate those who already signed a lease? Yes, but that doesn't mean it's not a decent deal for some people.

Look, I'm not saying Touro are a bunch of angels. There are definitely some real problems, but can we try to keep a level head here?


Clearly it has nothing to do with the fact that people who actually have gone through applying to medical school, administrators from schools, etc are doing their job for free....

Uh, blowing out proportions? Not like we're talking about people's careers and lives that will need to be put on hold and major decisions including needing to find jobs, etc?

Also screw off with your middletown crap. People got cheated out of a place in a medical school class and now have to go to a second choice campus over acceptances at likely high tier DO and low tier MD schools. Touro screwed many students over, this is the simple reality of it and there is no backtracking on those lost acceptances.
 
This thread perfectly exemplifies why pre-med advisors always tell you "don't listen to anything you read on SDN."

This thread has turned into a huge mess of speculation and misinformation. While there are some really major issues brought up here, most of this thread has been people exaggerating them and blowing them out of proportion, and then using it to bash Touro students and DOs in general. Why did "Asked to defer" become "forcible rescinding of admission?" This thread is like a sick game of telephone. I swear you guys just want to beleive the worst about everything. Look, the AP credits issue was BAD. The effects it had on our incoming class were awful. But the fact is that we don't even know the story behind it. Do we actually have any evidence that it wasn't just a stupid administrative error? I mean, I could see why it would be a logical conclusion, but we don't really know anything. To me, it seems like the school is far more interested in transferring people to middletown than deferring students. They're not offering scholarships to defer...at least not yet anyway.

Oh yeah, and that scholarship to transfer to middletown: For people concerned about money who didn't have their heart set on living in NYC, it's actually a pretty good deal. True, ~5k a year is a small amount relative to cost of attendance, but you also save $15k a year in living expenses. Could it be better? Yeah. But it's not nothing. Graduating with a debt of ~290k instead of ~360k is significant. And you still start medical school this year! I don't know about you guys, but when I applied to medical school, I would have been happy to go to a school in the middle of nowhere if it meant I could become a doctor...and middletown, while not NYC, isn't nowhere. Am I nervous that it won't be enough to compensate those who already signed a lease? Yes, but that doesn't mean it's not a decent deal for some people.

Look, I'm not saying Touro are a bunch of angels. There are definitely some real problems, but can we try to keep a level head here?

So this will be very blunt, but don't project your goals onto what other people wish to achieve. Just because YOU are ok with being at a medical school in the middle of nowhere doesn't mean that others aren't. They may have family close by, significant others nearby, ect. There are many factors in play and it's not as simple as "I'll be happy to go to medical school in the middle of nowhere if means becoming a doctor".
 
This thread perfectly exemplifies why pre-med advisors always tell you "don't listen to anything you read on SDN."

This thread has turned into a huge mess of speculation and misinformation. While there are some really major issues brought up here, most of this thread has been people exaggerating them and blowing them out of proportion, and then using it to bash Touro students and DOs in general. Why did "Asked to defer" become "forcible rescinding of admission?" This thread is like a sick game of telephone. I swear you guys just want to beleive the worst about everything. Look, the AP credits issue was BAD. The effects it had on our incoming class were awful. But the fact is that we don't even know the story behind it. Do we actually have any evidence that it wasn't just a stupid administrative error? I mean, I could see why it would be a logical conclusion, but we don't really know anything. To me, it seems like the school is far more interested in transferring people to middletown than deferring students. They're not offering scholarships to defer...at least not yet anyway.

Oh yeah, and that scholarship to transfer to middletown: For people concerned about money who didn't have their heart set on living in NYC, it's actually a pretty good deal. True, ~5k a year is a small amount relative to cost of attendance, but you also save $15k a year in living expenses. Could it be better? Yeah. But it's not nothing. Graduating with a debt of ~290k instead of ~360k is significant. And you still start medical school this year! I don't know about you guys, but when I applied to medical school, I would have been happy to go to a school in the middle of nowhere if it meant I could become a doctor...and middletown, while not NYC, isn't nowhere. Am I nervous that it won't be enough to compensate those who already signed a lease? Yes, but that doesn't mean it's not a decent deal for some people.

Look, I'm not saying Touro are a bunch of angels. There are definitely some real problems, but can we try to keep a level head here?

I can tell this statement is a defense mechanism for picking touro-ny.

The world isn't as black and white as you make it out to be. People in these institution will always try to cover up bad things in the shadows. Just because something bad isn't happening in visible sight doesn't mean its not happening. Over acceptance has been an issue for several years from what other posters have stated. However, this year was the breaking point in that now a sizable number of people have had this happen to them. This 5,000 dollar scholarship or "peace offering" is terrible deal when other schools have offered at least full tuition coverage for the year. This shows they are trying to get away with whatever they can.

Its thanks to websites like SDN that we can pull the veil of these shady practices and bring to light these problems. So that we protect current and future students and serves as a lessons to schools that these things should not be tolerated.
 
I can tell this statement is a defense mechanism for picking touro-ny.

The world isn't as black and white as you make it out to be. People in these institution will always try to cover up bad things in the shadows. Just because something bad isn't happening in visible sight doesn't mean its not happening. Over acceptance has been an issue for several years from what other posters have stated. However, this year was the breaking point in that now a sizable number of people have had this happen to them. This 5,000 dollar scholarship or "peace offering" is terrible deal when other schools have offered at least full tuition coverage for the year. This shows they are trying to get away with whatever they can.

Its thanks to websites like SDN that we can pull the veil of these shady practices and bring to light these problems. So that we protect current and future students and serves as a lessons to schools that these things should not be tolerated.

the scholarship is not $5k -_- I wouldn't say it is "generous" if it was $5k
It's greater than $20k. That's all I'm going to say. I'm not going to give the full details but, yes, the COA would be decreased by more than 1 year's tuition.
 
Last edited:
If it covers tuition completely for a year, then this is okay. You are losing $200,000 in the long run, remember this.
Also, no, you are not losing anything. The scholarship is for students to TRANSFER to Middlwtown. No one is being asked to defer anymore. I think many of the people claiming to bee Touro posters here are actually not Touro students at all.
Just to reiterate, the scholarship is SIGNIFCANTLY greater than $5k and the school is just asking for people to voluntarily transfer to Middlwtown with the tuition break as an incentive.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the scholarship is not $5k -_- I wouldn't say it is "generous" if it was $5k
It's greater than $20k. That's all I'm going to say. I'm not going to give the full details but, yes, the COA would be decreased by more than 1 year's tuition.

For 1 year or 4? 20k+ each year?
 
For 1 year or 4? 20k+ each year?
The scholarship the school is offering involves one lump sum for your first year with a different (equivalent) sum for years 2,3,4. The first lump is larger in order to cover the expenses that people lost while signing leases for Manhattan apartments. The total for the scholarship over 4 years combined with the decreased COL is equivalent to more than 1 year's tuition.
 
In the long run, the COA would be equivalent for more than 1 year of free tuition.

Also, no, you are not losing anything. The scholarship is for students to TRANSFER to Middlwtown. No one is being asked to defer anymore. I think many of the people claiming to bee Touro posters here are actually not Touro students at all.
Just to reiterate, the scholarship is SIGNIFCANTLY greater than $5k and the school is just asking for people to voluntarily transfer to Middlwtown with the tuition break as an incentive.

In the long run, with raises and years of work, you could be netting 300k-500k as your final yearly salary before retirement. The 200k is the bare minimum, as an example.

If students didn't have that touro middle town campus to transfer too, what would have happened to those students then? A lot of these things should been stated up front as to whether you would be give a scholarship for deferring the year and if you would have gotten a scholarship for transferring. They should be more transparent about these things.

And no, I have never claimed to be a Touro student in any of my posts.
 
The scholarship the school is offering involves one lump sum for your first year with a different (equivalent) sum for years 2,3,4. The first lump is larger in order to cover the expenses that people lost while signing leases for Manhattan apartments. The total for the scholarship over 4 years combined with the decreased COL is equivalent to more than 1 year's tuition.

What about without factoring in the decreased COL because that certainly isn't money out of Touro's pockets.

Edit: CoA for Harlem is 92k/year, CoA for Middletown is 80k/yr. Difference in CoA over 4 years is 48k which is already almost 1 year's tuition.

So what's the actual amount?
 
Also, no, you are not losing anything. The scholarship is for students to TRANSFER to Middlwtown. No one is being asked to defer anymore. I think many of the people claiming to bee Touro posters here are actually not Touro students at all.
Just to reiterate, the scholarship is SIGNIFCANTLY greater than $5k and the school is just asking for people to voluntarily transfer to Middlwtown with the tuition break as an incentive.

That sounds better. I'm curious what they intend to offer students who wish to defer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.