PANICKING! School forcing me to defer or transfer

Started by Pezeveng
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PDs won't give a rats ass about what Admissions folk do or don't do. This is highly unlikley to get on their radar either, unless they peruse SDN.


Just wondering but will this affect the future of the students from this school? Will other schools, residency programs or hospitals, etc. view Touro students more harshly, disadvantaging them?
 
Just wondering but will this affect the future of the students from this school? Will other schools, residency programs or hospitals, etc. view Touro students more harshly, disadvantaging them?

There's no way they'd care. This is more about how students are treated at the school as opposed to the quality of education and the view of PDs, which is probably decent (as it is in most DO schools) and equivalent to all DOs (because PDs rarely if ever really know much about any DO schools), respectively.
 
As my colleagues at Touro always say " You've bee Touro'd...bitch".

I added the bitch part for effect, but welcome to Touro. It gets you were you need to be though, but boy have I heard the horror stories about their administration.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will send you a message. I shouldn't have mentioned the name of the school here. I love this school soo much. My mind was spiriling very fast in the morning and I felt shamed to discuss on the facebook page especially when I found the upperclassman to be unhelpful even when I messaged them directly. 12 hours have passed since I spoke to Touro in the morning and it has given me a chance to breathe and relax and remind myself why I want to be a physician and why I want to go to NYC and what my goals are and remind myself that a school, any school, is more than a few secretaries. It's the faculty, the students, the location, the experience and that's what's important. I hope everyone reading this understands this, especially @AnatomyGrey12 and other students applying. I believe the Touro-Harlem is so incredibly unique. This entire situation is happening precisely because more people fell in love with the school than what the school expected. It's hard not to like and appreciate this school when you visit. The reason why so many people are getting emotional about this is because we want Touro-Harlem so badly. We're fighting because going to this school is worth it. I don't even know if I'm making sense anymore. ahhhh

I know at least 10 touro students, and they all are generally happy - but NO ONE will say a kind thing about the admin. They get "touro'd" aka ****ed over for ass-backwards administration BS ALL THE TIME.

It gets you to residency, but that's about it.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MORE PEOPLE "FALLING IN LOVE" with the school hahaha, ARE YOU 12??

People are emotional, because they made life choices and decisions, based on the understanding they were accepted to the school and had a seat. Im sure some people may have had other options, or maybe not, but regardless - people moving across country, going through the hardships of finding a rental place etc.


The school absolutely ****ed up and they are backpeddling big time. They admitted more people, who didn't have any other options, and it bit them in the ass. They expect certain amounts of attrition in the admissions process, but they were even more greedy than usual.

They thrive off of all the admissions and seat deposits, just like every other DO school.

All i gotta say is, if you are being ****ed over and losing lots of money - lawyer up. Start collecting all the evidence, and get ALL of the people together who have been screwed over and make a BIG STINK about it.

The only ones who aren't saying anything, are probably the ones who it was their only acceptance, and are complacent.
 
The "concerned student" you're referring to isn't even a Touro student. Lots of pre-meds and other bogus people that have nothing to do with the school seem to have infiltrated our facebook page and feeding information to outside outlets. We're handling this internally. The school just changed staff last week and we're finding out that new people have been appointed to different positions who are beginning to cooperate. This would explain why our emails weren't being responded. The LAST thing we need is to involve the NY Times.
You're cute, you think the school actually cares about you?
 
You're cute, you think the school actually cares about you?
Everthing @Pezeveng has posted since



screams Stockholm Syndrome or something similar.
In OP's defense, he/she really doesn't have a choice at this point except to be cautiously optimistic about the school. Think about it: these kids have withdrawn from all other options at this point (including giving notice at work, if applicable), invested thousands of dollars into attending this school, and are preparing to move and begin class in one month. To defer a year would mean scrambling to get a job lined up, plus a lost year of attending salary. To hold a grudge against the school means spending four years and literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on a school you have a ill feelings towards. It's a setup for disaster. The best option for these kids, at this point, is to be grateful that the situation has been resolved for them and take start M1 with their mouths shut about any ill feelings they may harbor towards the school.

For kids who are still sitting in limbo, they need to lawyer up and raise hell.
 
In OP's defense, he/she really doesn't have a choice at this point except to be cautiously optimistic about the school. Think about it: these kids have withdrawn from all other options at this point (including giving notice at work, if applicable), invested thousands of dollars into attending this school, and are preparing to move and begin class in one month. To defer a year would mean scrambling to get a job lined up, plus a lost year of attending salary. To hold a grudge against the school means spending four years and literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on a school you have a ill feelings towards. It's a setup for disaster. The best option for these kids, at this point, is to be grateful that the situation has been resolved for them and take start M1 with their mouths shut about any ill feelings they may harbor towards the school.

For kids who are still sitting in limbo, they need to lawyer up and raise hell.

Agree with all of that, especially that they need to stress the cautious optimism. Based on what OP has been saying, however, I think they've gone overboard with the "optimism". I know this kind of thing could happen at any school, but they've set a precedent for mistreating (not even current) students, and the class should be wary as hell. I would hate to have to constantly be on my guard in the middle of school stress to make sure administration is doing what they should be doing for the students.

At the end of the day, I'm just really glad that I'm not in this situation and that none of my friends are either
 
If you think this is the only shady thing that Touro has done, think twice. My sister just finished the Master's program at and had received acceptance for the D.O. program at Middletown and (thankfully) another school. She will be attending the other school, but she has told me horror stories about what the admin have let slide. She mentioned that the MCAT requirement was lowered for masters students applying through AACOMAS; students with low 20's getting interviews (and probably acceptances). She said that certain students were heavily favored over others, and that her advisor even told her the grades of other students in her program. I'm sure there are more but these are just some of the examples that I can remember.

I truly feel bad for the people who got screwed over by this. OP - congrats on making it through but I have a feeling you certainly won't be singing the same tune in a few months from now.
 
If you think this is the only shady thing that Touro has done, think twice. My sister just finished the Master's program at and had received acceptance for the D.O. program at Middletown and (thankfully) another school. She will be attending the other school, but she has told me horror stories about what the admin have let slide. She mentioned that the MCAT requirement was lowered for masters students applying through AACOMAS; students with low 20's getting interviews (and probably acceptances). She said that certain students were heavily favored over others, and that her advisor even told her the grades of other students in her program. I'm sure there are more but these are just some of the examples that I can remember.

I truly feel bad for the people who got screwed over by this. OP - congrats on making it through but I have a feeling you certainly won't be singing the same tune in a few months from now.

I personally know someone that was in the Touro-NY MS program last year that had a <20 MCAT. It's actually the reason that I highly question whether their >30 MCAT average includes MS students or only counts the outside students they accept.
 
In all due fairness, my own school does this as well. It's the nature of SMPs. They're auditions for med school, and if a student does well in an SMP, no matter what the MCAT score, they're very likely to do well in the med school.



She will be attending the other school, but she has told me horror stories about what the admin have let slide. She mentioned that the MCAT requirement was lowered for masters students applying through AACOMAS; students with low 20's getting interviews (and probably acceptances).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this really that newsworthy though?

'Brexit makes stocks fall in every country!'
'Huge terror attack in istanbul airport!'
'Army ends transgender ban!'
'New York medical school you've never heard of accepts more students than it can carry and handles it poorly!'
Lol!!!!
 
Is this really that newsworthy though?

'Brexit makes stocks fall in every country!'
'Huge terror attack in istanbul airport!'
'Army ends transgender ban!'
'New York medical school you've never heard of accepts more students than it can carry and handles it poorly!'

There's more to a newspaper than what's above the fold.

I agree, it's not HUGE news, but on a relatively slow news day it may make an appearance in the education section. Touro has been in the Times before (albeit not in a notorious way) http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/e...athic-branch-of-medicine-is-booming.html?_r=0
 
Is this really that newsworthy though?

'Brexit makes stocks fall in every country!'
'Huge terror attack in istanbul airport!'
'Army ends transgender ban!'
'New York medical school you've never heard of accepts more students than it can carry and handles it poorly!'


Why did Constantinople get the works?
 
I'm sure a lot of it is exaggerated as usual 😉 However, I'm still glad that I was accepted into another school. It's not only this story, it's what I've heard about both of their Deans. One was involved into some nasty corruption story and another (at Middletown) was involved in some sexual harassment story before he became Dean at Middletown campus (main reason he left his previous job). Not sharing names, but many people already know about this. Sometimes it's just amazing how these people still get positions like this after such stories. I understand they have connections and such, but it amazes me how they come out clean and dry from such ordeals. Anyway, hopefully this situation is resolved and students were able to matriculate successfully.
 
Are you one of the people that got into our Facebook group? Smh
Trust me, if what a few students have been telling me are true, that person has A LOT more issues to be worried about than a NYT article. You don't leak private info like that and think the school is just going to sit idly and take it. They also know her SDN username.
 
@Pezeveng what happened to you happened to me also. I have not posted my situation in the fb group, because I luckily got accepted to my top choice for med school right after receiving the bad news that I was going to have to defer for a year. I think you have received a lot of good advice in this thread, but I also recommend you let your premed advisor know about your situation and ask him/her for help. It is much easier for the administration to push you around, when they are in a position of power and you have no good options. However, the school cannot bully your premed advisor around. Just my opinion. I withdrew my acceptance, so hopefully that might help slightly but I doubt it will given the number of people the over accepted. I wish you the best of luck., and hope everything works out for you.
lol, no one gives two ****s about premed advisors. They can be ignored even more easily than students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Trust me, if what a few students have been telling me are true, that person has A LOT more issues to be worried about than a NYT article. You don't leak private info like that and think the school is just going to sit idly and take it. They also know her SDN username.

What was so private about the info? You shared a ton of damning information on a public Internet forum for anyone with Internet access to see.... And a Facebook group that lets any member add anyone they want to the group is not a very smart way of containing "private information".

I'm no lawyer (and I bet those few students you've been talking to aren't either), but I wouldn't be worried if I were the person who "leaked private info like that".
 
I want to confirm that the deposit for Touro D.O. students starting in July 2016 was/is $2,000 for the first deposit and $1,000 for the second deposit ($3,000 total). The $1,000 deposit is returned to those that withdraw from Touro (to go to a different school etc.) before the first day of classes. Secondary fee is $200, but supposedly people that get a secondary application have a higher chance of an interview than at other schools.

In terms of tuition, compared to other osteopathic schools, Touro falls in the general range of other osteopathic schools (between 44,000 and 52,000 a year). Touro NY, at about 50,000 a year is slightly cheaper than NYCOM, the other D.O. school in NY and much cheaper than CCOM/AZCOM (or oos at Rowan or MSUCOM). Plus you get to be in Manhattan for those that care.

Finally, this "your AP classes might not satisfy our requirements" problem started on June 24 and seems to have been somewhat resolved by June 29 when the administration admitted to the students that their AP credits were fine and a scholarship was offered to those that would transfer to the Middletown campus. Mistakes happen at every school. At least Touro began to seriously fix their mistake in a pretty short time. Obviously, it would have been better if these two mistakes had not been made in the first place (the overaccepting and the AP deficient problem), but at least the administration realized they messed up and changed course pretty quickly (by saying AP would be ok and offering a scholarship to transfer to the Middletown campus).
 
I want to confirm that the deposit for Touro D.O. students starting in July 2016 was/is $2,000 for the first deposit and $1,000 for the second deposit ($3,000 total). The $1,000 deposit is returned to those that withdraw from Touro (to go to a different school etc.) before the first day of classes. Secondary fee is $200, but supposedly people that get a secondary application have a higher chance of an interview than at other schools.

In terms of tuition, compared to other osteopathic schools, Touro falls in the general range of other osteopathic schools (between 44,000 and 52,000 a year). Touro NY, at about 50,000 a year is slightly cheaper than NYCOM, the other D.O. school in NY and much cheaper than CCOM/AZCOM (or oos at Rowan or MSUCOM). Plus you get to be in Manhattan for those that care.

Finally, this "your AP classes might not satisfy our requirements" problem started on June 24 and seems to have been somewhat resolved by June 29 when the administration admitted to the students that their AP credits were fine and a scholarship was offered to those that would transfer to the Middletown campus. Mistakes happen at every school. At least Touro began to seriously fix their mistake in a pretty short time. Obviously, it would have been better if these two mistakes had not been made in the first place (the overaccepting and the AP deficient problem), but at least the administration realized they messed up and changed course pretty quickly (by saying AP would be ok and offering a scholarship to transfer to the Middletown campus).
🙄
 
I want to confirm that the deposit for Touro D.O. students starting in July 2016 was/is $2,000 for the first deposit and $1,000 for the second deposit ($3,000 total). The $1,000 deposit is returned to those that withdraw from Touro (to go to a different school etc.) before the first day of classes. Secondary fee is $200, but supposedly people that get a secondary application have a higher chance of an interview than at other schools.

In terms of tuition, compared to other osteopathic schools, Touro falls in the general range of other osteopathic schools (between 44,000 and 52,000 a year). Touro NY, at about 50,000 a year is slightly cheaper than NYCOM, the other D.O. school in NY and much cheaper than CCOM/AZCOM (or oos at Rowan or MSUCOM). Plus you get to be in Manhattan for those that care.

Finally, this "your AP classes might not satisfy our requirements" problem started on June 24 and seems to have been somewhat resolved by June 29 when the administration admitted to the students that their AP credits were fine and a scholarship was offered to those that would transfer to the Middletown campus. Mistakes happen at every school. At least Touro began to seriously fix their mistake in a pretty short time. Obviously, it would have been better if these two mistakes had not been made in the first place (the overaccepting and the AP deficient problem), but at least the administration realized they messed up and changed course pretty quickly (by saying AP would be ok and offering a scholarship to transfer to the Middletown campus).
Hello touro admin person #2. How big is the scholarship to transfer?
 
I want to confirm that the deposit for Touro D.O. students starting in July 2016 was/is $2,000 for the first deposit and $1,000 for the second deposit ($3,000 total). The $1,000 deposit is returned to those that withdraw from Touro (to go to a different school etc.) before the first day of classes. Secondary fee is $200, but supposedly people that get a secondary application have a higher chance of an interview than at other schools.

In terms of tuition, compared to other osteopathic schools, Touro falls in the general range of other osteopathic schools (between 44,000 and 52,000 a year). Touro NY, at about 50,000 a year is slightly cheaper than NYCOM, the other D.O. school in NY and much cheaper than CCOM/AZCOM (or oos at Rowan or MSUCOM). Plus you get to be in Manhattan for those that care.

Finally, this "your AP classes might not satisfy our requirements" problem started on June 24 and seems to have been somewhat resolved by June 29 when the administration admitted to the students that their AP credits were fine and a scholarship was offered to those that would transfer to the Middletown campus. Mistakes happen at every school. At least Touro began to seriously fix their mistake in a pretty short time. Obviously, it would have been better if these two mistakes had not been made in the first place (the overaccepting and the AP deficient problem), but at least the administration realized they messed up and changed course pretty quickly (by saying AP would be ok and offering a scholarship to transfer to the Middletown campus).

I'm guessing you're from the Touro administration. You should have offered transfer scholarships to students way earlier than now. Do you normally treat your medical students with such little regard?

These mistakes do not happen "at every other school." I do not know of any MD or DO schools that rescind admission offers to incoming students after sending out disproportionately more acceptances.

You deserve the massive student backlash, negative media attention, and diminished applicant interest you are getting right now.
 
Last edited:
My point, hellobello18, is that every so often you hear about an md or do school that accepted too many students one year and they offer scholarships to defer/transfer campuses when it happens. The way Touro eventually reacted (by offering a scholarship) is pretty typical and so far at least, I really don't think it is newsworthy.
 
My point, hellobello18, is that every so often you hear about an md or do school that accepted too many students one year and they offer scholarships to defer/transfer campuses when it happens. The way Touro eventually reacted (by offering a scholarship) is pretty typical and so far at least, I really don't think it is newsworthy.

They offer transfer scholarships in such an instance as soon as the mistake of over-acceptance is made.

They do not spontaneously and retroactively change their entrance requirements or threaten students into transferring to another campus less than one month before matriculation.

It is very newsworthy and you've got the attention of journalists as far away as Texas.
 
My point, hellobello18, is that every so often you hear about an md or do school that accepted too many students one year and they offer scholarships to defer/transfer campuses when it happens. The way Touro eventually reacted (by offering a scholarship) is pretty typical and so far at least, I really don't think it is newsworthy.

We can only wait and see kind of garbage a real investigation will dredge up. Good luck to your school, I have a feeling they'll need it.
 
My point, hellobello18, is that every so often you hear about an md or do school that accepted too many students one year and they offer scholarships to defer/transfer campuses when it happens. The way Touro eventually reacted (by offering a scholarship) is pretty typical and so far at least, I really don't think it is newsworthy.
What are the details of the scholarship? The word itself is nearly meaningless. $2000 doesn't fairly compensate the student. $50000, maybe.

And no, over accepting 40 students is not common. It wasn't a mistake either and no one is stupid enough to think it is.
 
I'm actually one of the students that got the email saying that I was deficient in two of my prereq courses after I was accepted. They seem to be correcting their mistake, which is why I am defending them. They never said they would rescinded anyone's acceptance. They were considering forcing students to defer a year until they "made up their required coursework". TouroCOM definitely made a mistake, but I give them credit for fixing the mistake within a week. Obviously, it was stressful for anyone that got that email for about a week, but I believe that if a problem is fixed in a timely matter it is better to move on than to stay upset. (One thing I will admit though, is that I will feel relief once I start classes. There is this small worry that something else could go wrong but I'm trying to stay positive and hope that everything will be fine because at least right now I am happy that I chose to attend Touro, despite the administrative mess up.)
 
My point, hellobello18, is that every so often you hear about an md or do school that accepted too many students one year and they offer scholarships to defer/transfer campuses when it happens. The way Touro eventually reacted (by offering a scholarship) is pretty typical and so far at least, I really don't think it is newsworthy.

Give it a rest. I said this in another thread but I'm always a bit...surprised when people who have not taken 2 seconds of lecture at Touro want to "clarify" things to those who spent almost a year there. That being said, the school didn't have a choice. They had to do something or they would have been dealing with more than one lawsuit. Not exactly what they would want, seeing as the school is less than 10 years old and already has a bit of a shady past.

And I know of one person (my friend who got the C in Intro Chem) who was told that if he couldn't produce a higher grade, his only options were to defer or just leave.

AND someone else raised an excellent point. What are the details of the scholarship that you're so impressed by? The school closest to my childhood home accepted a few students too many back in 2014 I think...all of those students who deferred got a scholarship for 50% of tuition for M1 and M2 years. Is Touro offering something similar?
 
Give it a rest. I said this in another thread but I'm always a bit...surprised when people who have not taken 2 seconds of lecture at Touro want to "clarify" things to those who spent almost a year there. That being said, the school didn't have a choice. They had to do something or they would have been dealing with more than one lawsuit. Not exactly what they would want, seeing as the school is less than 10 years old and already has a bit of a shady past.

And I know of one person (my friend who got the C in Intro Chem) who was told that if he couldn't produce a higher grade, his only options were to defer or just leave.

AND someone else raised an excellent point. What are the details of the scholarship that you're so impressed by? The school closest to my childhood home accepted a few students too many back in 2014 I think...all of those students who deferred got a scholarship for 50% of tuition for M1 and M2 years. Is Touro offering something similar?

YOU need to get a hobby.
The scholarship was A LOT more than that. I'm not going to say the details and I don't encourage anyone else to do so either. It's none of your business. All I'll say is that the scholarship is really generous and it covers multiple years (not a one time scholarship).
 
YOU need to get a hobby.
The scholarship was A LOT more than that. I'm not going to say the details and I don't encourage anyone else to do so either. It's none of your business. All I'll say is that the scholarship is really generous and it covers multiple years (not a one time scholarship).

Not sure what you're talking about. The scholarship is $5625/year..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm guessing you're from the Touro administration. You should have offered transfer scholarships to students way earlier than now. Do you normally treat your medical students with such little regard?

These mistakes do not happen "at every other school." I do not know of any MD or DO schools that rescind admission offers to incoming students after sending out disproportionately more acceptances.

You deserve the massive student backlash, negative media attention, and diminished applicant interest you are getting right now.

LUCOM did it their first year.
 
YOU need to get a hobby.
The scholarship was A LOT more than that. I'm not going to say the details and I don't encourage anyone else to do so either. It's none of your business. All I'll say is that the scholarship is really generous and it covers multiple years (not a one time scholarship).
So at first you create PANICKING thread about how low Touro Com acted to you and you licked your snots and cried out loud screaming HELP at everyone and basically telling us how these bastards rolled you over. Now you are doing opposite, defending Touro and attacking everyone who raises a fair point about all this mess. That $5625 a year scholarship was a silver coin that bought your silence and loyalty back!? I feel like some students are way to greedy and money is #1 priority to them. A slight change in money issue and they can go from screaming "I lost HALF of my LIFE-TIME savings" to a licking their ar$es in no time... no comments. I guess Touro deserves students that are alike - match made in heaven.
 
YOU need to get a hobby.
The scholarship was A LOT more than that. I'm not going to say the details and I don't encourage anyone else to do so either. It's none of your business. All I'll say is that the scholarship is really generous and it covers multiple years (not a one time scholarship).

Calm yourself there, OP. That person directed their response towards me so I gave them an answer. I would not have asked if they hadn't brought it up because frankly, I don't care. There's nothing that you can say to me that's going to make me see the "wonderful things" about Touro so you too should just give it a rest.
 
It makes sense that hellobello18 would feel bad that his friend was treated badly by TouroCOM (even if Touro admitted they made a mistake and got it resolved after about one week). It also makes sense that people that were keeping up with the developments would want to know all the details on how it is being resolved.

It also makes sense that Pezeveng, now that the course deficiency problems have been resolved, still likes TouroCOM, is excited to begin there and doesn't want people to say bad things about Touro, especially things that are wrong or unsubstantiated. I also don't have the desire to have negative comments directed at me and don't want negative subjective or just plain wrong attacks against the school I am about to attend.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.