Paper/Pencil v.s. Computer MCAT

Dr. Geoff

Mzungu
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2001
NY
  1. Medical Student
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has noticed how avg. MCAT scores have increased since they switched to the computer format. Why is that? Is it because it is offered more times/year now? I was the last group to take the Paper/pencil Mcat, and when I took it my score was par, now it doesn't look so good....:confused:

About the Ads

SketchLazy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The average score should not, and has not changed when the switch was made to computer based testing. This is because scores are based on a normal distribution, and so will follow normal z-score cut-offs.

And they haven't

2006 pen and paper:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/combined06.pdf

2007 CBT:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/combined07.pdf

The scaled score is a score based on the scores of previous and current test takers. The score is calculated so that a certain percentage of test takers get each score. The percentages always stay the same as I understand it, however the total number of people for each score might increase as more people take the test, driving up the averages for accepted students as schools have more people with higher stats to choose from.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
  1. Medical Student
Test is shorter, for one thing. If I remember the pencil paper test well enough, my brain was basically mush by the last leg of the biological sciences segment.

Very glad we don't have the original test :D However, I do wish we got the 9.5 minutes / passage in verbal that the paper test had. :( We now get 8.5 mins/passage.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.