1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Papers in process...

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by CremasterFlash, May 27, 2008.

1. CremasterFlash

CremasterFlash Born yesterday.
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi guys -

I've been working in Emergency Medicine research for two years now and have been fortunate enough to be second author on a couple papers that will be submitted soon for publication and a couple more that are in their final draft stage. Is all of this irrelevant to my AMCAS application? I assume that I can't put these under "papers" since it asks for a publication date.

I'm also an author on a bunch of posters and paper presentations given over the past two years but again, these are not published papers yet. It would be a shame not to get some kind of credit for all this work...

Anyway, thanks for any advice that you folks may have for me.

CF

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nu2004

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    no, this is all very relevant. i'm not sure exactly how you would input it since the second i clicked "submit" the AMCAS primary left my brain entirely.

here's a suggestion: do you know roughly when these will be published? you could enter them as papers and then put a future date, or range of dates (ex. July 2008, Fall 2008)

otherwise, you could just list them under your activities in conjunction with your research activity. but don't let these things slip past the admissions people! they are accomplishments worth a mention.

4. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    These papers have not been accepted yet, correct? You can still include them, although of course papers will carry more weight if they have been accepted already. Here's how you list articles that have not yet been accepted or published:

For papers that are currently being written but have not been *submitted* yet, give the title and authors. Then say, "manuscript in preparation."

For papers that have been submitted but have not been *accepted* yet, give the title, authors, and journal name. Then say, "manuscript submitted."

For papers that have been accepted but have not been *published* yet, give the title, authors, and journal name. Then say, "manuscript in press."

For papers that have been e-published but have not yet come out in print, you can give the link to the article. However, by this point, you probably will know when the article will come out in print. Once you get the publication info from the journal, you can go ahead and list that as the publication date, even if it's a few months in the future.

Hope this helps. Congrats on your papers, and best of luck with your apps. :)

5. Wow. I agree 100% with what Q said above - excellent post!