Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, I was just wondering how many of you guys were paramedic before medical school and what you liked about the transition. How long were you a paramedic before you decided to move on?

WTEngel

7+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Status
Medical Student
I was a paramedic for 13 years.

Sometimes I look back and realize I was so stupid that I didn't even know what I didn't know...

For me, being able to actually start putting all the pieces together with medical school education is my favorite part. Paramedic education for me was pretty abbreviated, and I'll admit to being in situations where my knowledge of physiology and disease was lacking, so being able to put all those previous experiences in perspective will really help me with my future patients...I hope.

OP
A
Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for your insight! What was it like to be a non traditional student? I want to do the same path while I finish the pre-reqs. I was planning on being a paramedic for 2-3 years and then applying when I'm 25/26 which is around the average age of a medical student.

RoadNurse33

ASA Member
2+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2014
VA
Status
Medical Student
I'm really happy. Finally found the place I have needed to be all along. It's a bear, but the professors are amazing.

The hardest part is that I have done one stint on day work for about a month or two. Been working those 24s for 11 years. My last assignment I flew for two years. It was amazing. I still miss it, but I'm getting a lot of questions answered that used to be answered with "you don't need to know that, look at a fire book instead." I was a nontrad with a horrible gpa. Did a lot of diy postbac. Meh on mcat, crushed my letters/interviews/essays.

OP
A
Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
What made you want to make the change? and you were a Flight Medic?