parents are funny in this process :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dear god, all this ranting sounds soooo familiar:

Sometime in late June after amcas submissions, part of an actual phone call with my mom back home goes:

Mom: So, are you still applying to be a doctor?

Me: Yes (anticipating stupid questions)

Mom: How did the SAT turn out?

Me, trying not to scream: SAT?!?!? I took that like 6 years ago!! I think you mean the "MCAT"

Mom: Yeah, thats it. Well, what did you get?

Me, sheepishly: uhh, a 35

Mom: is that good? You studied very hard for it, is that out of 100?

Me: No its out of 45, its a very good score and i'm happy with it, but it doesn't mean necessarily........

Mom: WAHOO!!!! THANK THE LORD!!!! So, you're going to go to UPenn right?!?!? You're going to come back home to philadelphia for med school?!?!?

Me: Well, its not that easy, you see there are lots of good applicants with comparable or better scores, and its not a given that....

Mom (awkward attempt at a "guilt trip"): You dont have to lie!!! You could go to Penn, if you dont want to come back home, just say so!!!

Me: no, mom, listen, i have to apply and interview and jump through a lot of hoops to get in somewhere, and even then Penn is a top 5 school and i might have a better chance at temple or drexel or some other out of state school, but i'm applying to a lot of schools to increase my chances since acceptance rates are so low......

Mom, starting to get pissed: So when will you know by?

Me: hopefully by january or something (ohh god)

Mom: January?!??! Didn't you just apply last week?!?!

Me: err, ahh, i dont, there are interviews, secondary fees, letters of rec, umm.........

Mom: Well, cant you just write them and they could let you know earlier and skip some of that stuff? I mean, you did get that great SAT score.

Me, very pissed: MCAT score!!!!!!!

and imagine banter like this going on for another 20 minutes. Oddly enough, my college age roommates are just as naive, so i spend the greater part of my day explaining to people why i'm not starting med school this fall after just taking the mcat in april.

Members don't see this ad.

Conversation 11:02am

Me: Good Morning Money Transfer

Mom: Hi, how much is school going to cost

**Alarms going off in head**

Me: I will be in substantial debt when I am through, mother. Why?

Mom: How much of it do you expect from your father and I?

Me: That's not really my decision mom. Whatever you guys want to contribute will be fine.

Mom: Oh, well I think that you should tell them that you need a scholarship

Me: Uh mother, They have to make that decision based on GPA and scores and merit. I can't just tell them to give me one

Mom: Do you want me to talk to the principal of the school for you honey?

**Can't beleive she said principal again. Thinking maybe I should clarify for her**

Me: Mom there is no principal in medical school. There's an addmissions committee of about 10 people or something and a Dean and other officials but no principal.

Mom: (Flabbergasted) Really!!!!????!!!??? And they all make decisions for each medical school?

Me: (Yeah she understands!) YUP!

Mom: Well no wonder the medical system is gone to s**t, with only 11 or 12 people running so many different schools in this country. That's just a shame really, you'd think that they could afford more people. Okay love have a nice day.

**Hangs up. My mouth is wide open and I have the phone in my hand for about 5 minutes, cause I cannot believe what I just heard***

silvercholla....this is too funny! :laugh:

you could do an alternative journal or something (you know, a humor version of the regular med student diaries up on SDN)..i would read it!

good luck with your mom...she sounds like a trip, though a very supportive one! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
my family (aunts and uncles included) are so happy i want to go into medicine like they been praying one of the cousins would all our lives (i refused to even consider medicine until frosh year when i was finally away from all of the subtle "encouragement" and it occurred to me that i might actually WANT to be a doctor) that they keep trying to bribe me into going to med school...my aunt actually offered me a diamond necklace for when i get in!! they don't seem to realize that i actually want to do this and that i'm already applying...:laugh: free stuff,i guess, fo something i already want to do, regardless of the fact that it makes them ecstatic!

my poor twin sister, though...she's heading to law school (she thinks) and none of the aunts and uncles seem to care! :(

A few years ago, we were walking thru Costco (my mom, sister, and I) and we passed by this really nice BMW convertible. This is the conversation:

Me: Oooh that's a nice car! Mom, can you buy it for me? (obviously joking)
Mom: Yeah, i'll buy you a BMW when you graduate medical school.
Me: Really?
Mom: yes, really, i promise.
Me: Alright!!
Sister: Hey! I wanna BMW!
Mom: When you graduate law school...
Sister: aww shucks....

Now, my sister is headin toward law school, and I'm hopefully headin toward med school. I bring up the beamer every once in a while, and now the deal has changed. If I buy her a cadillac when i'm a doctor, she'll buy me a BMW when I graduate med school....

Originally posted by silvercholla
Me: (calmly, through clenched teeth) Do Not Throw Me a Graduation Party! I Haven't Graduated From Medical School, I haven't Even Gotten In Yet! I haven't even applied Yet! Do not throw a party, mother I mean it!!!

Mom: Oh, **silence** Well Why didn't you just say that in the first place! Now I have to go and uninvite all of these people! (Storms out insulted)

:laugh: LOL :laugh:
i agree with chopsuey, you really SHOULD ask SDN to let you start a comic journal! What makes it better is that these are REAL stories. :D

That's very flattering guys but I don't think SDN would be very interested. But here's an update anyway

Conversation 1pm

Me: Good Afternoon Money Transfer

Mom: Hi, Your Aunt says that she has back pains. What do you think she should do.

Me: How the hell would I know mother!!!!!!!!

Mom: Watch your mouth young lady

Me: Sorry... Tell her to go to the hospital or something

Mom: I told her that you would know because you are a doctor assistant

**piercing searing fire behind right eye**

Me: Mom I am an EMT. You know the people on the ambulance. I am not a doctor or an assistant. Okay Tell Auntie June to go to the doctor.

Mom: Oh, well now I am going to look like I am a liar. You know sweety you should really clarify what you actually do in the medical field so that there is no real confusion. But anyway I was thinking you could recommend to the addmission committee that they should hire people to take some of the load off. Okay gotta go love you bye.

**Hangs up. Blinding, pain, I need a drink**

I don't get it... why do you keep saying this?!? "Money Transfer?!" What?!

silvercholla -- you should get your mother a reality TV show. bet she would be more entertaining than Anna Nicole.

Silvercholla,
:laugh: :laugh: your mom is hilarious! Is she by any chance south asian? she sounds like it

Money Transfer is the dept that i work in at a Coporate Investment Bank. My mom always calls me at work no matter how many times I tell her not to. BTW, my mom is from Guyana, but there is asian in her family.

Anyway, Here's an update, I was on a mini vacation this weekend.

**Cell phone rings**

Me: Yes mother ( I have caller ID)

Mom: Do you think that I should switch my doctor?

***Mentally counting to ten***

Me: Why do you want to switch?

Mom: Well, I figured that since you'll be going to downstate or maybe Mount Sinai, that I should have a doctor from one of those places. To make it easier for you

**Reach for the lovely margarita sitting on the table next to me**

Me: Mother, For the umpteenth time I haven't applied to medical school yet. I DON"T KNOW WHERE I AM GOING TO GET INTO!!! IT COULD BE SOMEPLACE IN CALIFORNINA (**Please God**)

Mom: Don't yell!! Well if you haven't applied yet then why are you on a mini right now shouldn't you be concentrating on applying or taking the CMAT's.

Me: MCAT MCAT MCAT!!!!!

Mom: Sweety, you sound stressed try and relax and have some fun while you're out there. We'll talk later. Love you bye.

**hangs up phone. I go and dump my margarita and pour myself a double of Jack Daniels!!!***

My parents are kinda screwy. I told them I got my first interview, and they were like O.K. , like it's not a big deal or something! I don't think they even realize how tough this process is and they don't know how much it means to me. It just pisses me off that they can be so callous about something like this! Makes me mad, oh so mad:mad:

Me: Hi mom!!!
MOM: Hi sweety, how is everything?
Me:Great! Guess what?
Mom: What?
Me: I got an interview!!!!!
MOM: **silence**
Me:hungover:id you hear that?!
Mom: oh great (all non-chalant like)
Me: Don'y you want to know where it is at?
Mom: Sure, I guess **you guess?! what do mean you guess!?**
Me: Its in School X
Mom: where?
Me: place Y
Mom: Oh that's so far! WEdon't want you going anywhere but our state school! And how much is it going to cost? I really don't want youtogo honey
Me:good bye

Goddammit,I work so hard, and she doesn't even want me to go to the secondary! It's like, screw you!
arghgh

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Mr. H
My parents are kinda screwy. I told them I got my first interview, and they were like O.K. , like it's not a bid deal or something! I don't think they even realize how tough this process is and they don't know how much it means to me. It just pisses me off that they can be so callous about something like this! Makes me mad, oh so mad:mad:

Just explain it to them... just them actual statistics. Say "look, only 1/5 people get interviews!!"

Here's how it happened with a friend of mine.

His mom got the acceptance letter while he was out one day, and she forgot about it.

Few days later over breakfast -- "oh by the way, you got accepted to that school..."

I have taken the tack of not telling my parents that I am even applying. They don't know I have taken the MCAT, they don't know I have sent out my AMCAS application, and they have no idea what a secondary application even is. If I get in I will tell them. If I don't (most likely scenario), then I avoided having to answer all of their questions.

MIT - BS Engineering, 2.9; Worked 8 years; SMU - pre-med, 4.0; MCAT 35R

The Undergrad GPA isn't great, but it is from MIT so that helps some. Otherwise those are greats stats! That is a good idea about not telling your parents in one sense, but the support will be nice at times. Both emotionally and financially! Do they not want you to be a doctor?

Thanks for the kind words Centrum.

Of course my parents would be delighted if I became a doctor. Just as delighted as the other nerotic parents in this thread. For right now, I am going to deal with only my insanity, and not compound it with theirs.

Originally posted by cabruen
I have taken the tack of not telling my parents that I am even applying. They don't know I have taken the MCAT, they don't know I have sent out my AMCAS application, and they have no idea what a secondary application even is. If I get in I will tell them. If I don't (most likely scenario), then I avoided having to answer all of their questions.

Aren't they curious why you're getting so much correspondence from random schools across the nation?

I am guessing he lives by himself. He is a non-trad. applicant.

Fair enough Cabruen. Good luck!

This thread is hilarious!!! I'm LMAO
Just thought I'd give y'all a taste of this stuff so you go back and read all pages:

Originally posted by Neuronix
Me: I'm applying now.
Everybody else: Oh yeah? How many schools are you applying to?
Me: 15.
Everybody else: WOW! That's alot!
Me: No, that's a normal amount.
Everybody else: I'm sure you'll get into all of them though! How do you choose!
Me: That's why everybody applies to that many schools, it's very hard to get in and there's no telling where you'll get in.
Everybody else: Stop putting yourself down, I'm sure you'll get in everywhere you apply! (Dad: My son at the Mayo Clinic or at Johns Hopkins! I can't wait)
Me: ARGGGHHHHH *gun to head, pull trigger*

That's it, I'm switching to decaf.

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
Voice mail message from Sweet Tea's Mom...

What my mother left on my cell phone Monday night while I was working EMS...

"Sweety, you got some mail today. You got a big thick letter in a brown envelope from the University of Maryland, and you got a big thick letter in a white envelope from the University of Vermont. I think they might be acceptances, but I'll wait for you to open them. Sweety, Vermont is very far away from North Carolina and I'd miss you... are you sure you want to take that acceptance so early on? But I'm so happy you already know that you've been accepted to at least 2 schools. Will this affect whether or not you get accepted at NC schools? Oh. You also got a very thin envelope from VCU. Do you want me to throw it away? Why isn't your phone on?"

Mom: Oh, so when are you going to get off of your ass and apply, everyone is waiting!
Mom: I don't think that you should go to far for medical school. I think it would be better if you stay in NY. You should go to Downstate. Maybe we can go down there and talk to the principal or something and get you enrolled.

silvercholla, you and your mom are great! hehe. i thought you were always sarcastically referring to your mother as "Money Transfer." wouldn't that be nice.

Originally posted by TTT

#2: Med school acceptance
Dad: U got a letter from school X.
Me: Really? What does it say?
Dad: I don't know. I think you are accepted.
Me: Are you sure? What makes you say that?
Dad: Well, I don't see the word "Sorry" or "reject" anywhere.
Me: *screams of frustration and unanswered curiosity*

Originally posted by DW

Mom: Yeah, thats it. Well, what did you get?
Me, sheepishly: uhh, a 35
Mom: is that good? You studied very hard for it, is that out of 100?
Mom (awkward attempt at a "guilt trip"): You dont have to lie!!! You could go to Penn, if you dont want to come back home, just say so!!!
:)

Somoa & Centrum --

True enough. I live on my own and am financially independent from them (for a long time now), and this does make the process easier. I don't have to explain to them why envelopes from Tulane or MCW or BU are in my mailbox.

Don't get me wrong. I love my parents very much and are really close to them. But I just know this process has enough randomness and tension for me already, I couldn't deal with the questions and irrationality from them on top of it. Maybe later in the process when I have a better handle on it myself, I will clue them in. Right now, I don't think they would get the subtlety of AMCAS applications vs secondary applications vs interviews vs MCATS vs LORs. I barely understand it myself.

Now back to the Stanford secondary that I promised myself I would complete tonight.

I agree w/ pocwana, this thread is worth a full reading. It's hilarious :laugh:

During the interview process- to outline to my mom the 'crapshootness' of this process- we had this conversation when I realized I was getting waitlisted everywhere I interviewed.

mom: but you do SO many things at your school and your grades and MCAT were good. why wouldn't they accept you right away?

ME:One kid I met was doing the same majors as me and probably had about the same GPA- except he goes to one of the best schools in the country and had a much higher MCAT. He too was waitlisted.

mom: well see, then that shouldn't make you feel as bad.

ME: Well, another girl from my school- I met her while teaching her MCAT class last summer- got a lower MCAT than me and didn't do nearly as many activities and she's already been accepted to that first school I interviewed at.

mom: oh.. *look of understanding* but honey, you'll get in. I have faith in you and so does everyone else that knows and loves you so much.

ME: thanx, mom. I appreciate your faith in me. :)

Hi,
I'm not applying till next year so I haven't seen the actual AMCAS forms but do all the secondaries, notices, etc. invariably get sent to your permanent address or can you emphasize that you want all correspondence sent to your school/temp. address. I'm a non-trad. and will be selling my condo this coming year so I might be floating between rentals for the next few months next year.

I dread the idea of having my mail being sent to my parents' place and my retired semi-senile parents throwing all my mail away or opening it up then forgetting to tell me!!!! :)

Originally posted by cabruen
For right now, I am going to deal with only my insanity, and not compound it with theirs.

I wish I could do that... Too many questions though about what I am doing and what my plans are... and if I said I had no plans then they'd go crazy and give a big lecture about how I had to plan ahead and crap.

Honestly though they don't really push me to do anything... there is just the thought exuding from them that the only possible outcome is that I will do something impressive :0

When I told them I was going into pre-med there was no question of if I could do it, they just started telling everyone they know that in a few years I will be a doctor, so my whole freakin family knows my plans now... My mom actually was like "Are you sure you don't want to be a CEO? They make a lot of money you know." As if I could just walk into a corporation and become its CEO immediately, nevermind the fact that I'm not even in business. No direct pressure like "You must do this or that" but if I end up not getting in anywhere I will have to deal with pity from everyone I know, and the thought of all that pity makes me crazy. Honestly if I don't get in I plan on moving from the east coast to the west coast just so I don't have to deal with it all.

***Sitting at my desk eating Breakfast, sort of. Phone rings***

Me: Good Morning Money Transfer

Mom: Hi, guess who I talked to this morning?

**Whimper**

Me: I don't know who?

Mom: Dr. Gribetz!!! Can you imagine!

Me: Dr. Gribetz, my pediatrician?

Mom: Yup! And we had such a nice chat. Guess What about?

Me: Mother I am at work, I really don't have time for this. What did you guys talk about.

Mom: Don't be pushy! Well we talked about how he can help you get into medical school and how you can work for him for free so you can get experience. Isn't that wonderful!

***Oh look at the pretty stars, hello pretty stars***

Me: Mother i am not going to work for free for anyone. And why on earth would you tell the man that I would do that WITHOUT ASKING ME!!!!!!

Mom: Well sweety you don't have any experience in medicine and if you want to make a good impression you're going to need it.

Me: Mother I am an EMT, remember?

Mom: Oh sweety, chasing after an ambulance doesn't give you experience, it's not like you are a paramedic or something, because then you'd have a space in medical school next year wouldn't you? Anyway I'll call him back later. Love you bye

***Is it possible to see the back of your brain through your eyelids???***

***Just when I think I have her figured out***

Mom: Hi, I have your aunt on the three way say hello.

***RUN RUN RUN RUN***

Me: Hi Aunty

Aunt June: Hi love, So your mom says that you are going to medical school. When do classes start?

Me: I haven't applied yet Aunty

Mom: I told her that she is taking way to long with this June, don't you think.

***And the crowd goes crazy as silver is double clothelined by the sisters***

Aunty June: Sweety I have this abcess on my big toe and it smells awful, can you stop by and take a look at it after work?

Mom: Of course she will June, don't be silly. Won't you Honey?

Me: No I won't, Aunty you should go to the hospital. I am not a doctor and I wouldn't have the slightest clue of what's wrong with your toe.

Mom and Aunty June: Oh

Me: I am an EMT, not a doctor***Dammit Jim***. But I'll go with you to the hospital if you like.

Aunty: Okay.

Mom: Sweety, What's an EMT?

***Finally***
Me: Emergency Medical Technician

Mom: Then you treat wounds and such?

***Warning, warning, danger!!! Trap Trap***
Me: Um, yeah.

Mom: Oh, well don't you think you should treat your aunt's wound, it's only what a good doctor would do don't you think?

Aunt: That's true. Very true.

ME: I AM NOT A DOCTOR FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME!!!!!

Mom: Don't yell hon. We will talk to you later. Love you bye.

***And silver is down for the count ONE, TWO, THREE***

Poor Silvercholla, I feel your pain.

But for all of you who doubted my approach....I rest my case.

***And silver is down for the count ONE, TWO, THREE***

hahahaha! Your posts are a riot silver

Hahaha, those are some funny stories silver. I love reading about your conversations and sometimes i even find myself laughing out loud.
:laugh:

I laugh after I read them here.... It's becoming therapeutic. But I just hung up with my mom

Mom: Sweety, this EMT thing you keep mentioning. Can you do it full time?

Me: Yes mother but it doesn't pay much.

Mom: And as an EMT you treat people and care for them right?

***There's never a baseball bat around when you need one***

Me: Yeeeeessssss

Mom: Well then you are almost exactly like a doctor, and you should go and look at your Aunt's foot.

Me: ***Extreme loud whisper*** I AM NOT A DOCTOR AND IF YOU KEEP THIS UP YOU ARE GOING TO KILL ME BEFORE I BECOME ONE!!!!

Mom: Don't Yell!!!! Sweety you need to be more clear if you're going to be a doctor, really this muddled thinking will not do at all. But anyway I think that you should be nicer to your aunty June. At least go and take the ambulance and pick her up. Okay got to go . Love you bye.

***Oh why Oh why can't margarita's be part of the food group***

Mom: But anyway I think that you should be nicer to your aunty June. At least go and take the ambulance and pick her up. Okay got to go . Love you bye.

LOL. :laugh:

silver-

you make me laugh so hard. i'm glad that the posting is therapeutic for you. :) keep em comin! :laugh:

***9:30pm Walk in the door***

Mom: I sweety how was your day? Guess what I did? I went to Barnes and Noble's and got you something. Want to see what it is?

***Is it to late to go back to work now***
Me: My day was fine mother, can I please come in the house first.

Mom: Of course silly. So I bought you this book called, here wait let me get it... Medical College Admissions Test. Is this the MCAT you were talking about before

***ooo look vodka***
Me: Yes mother

Mom: Well, this is a very big book and it has a lot material. I think you should start studying tonight. Don't you think?

***ooo look Orange Juice***

Me: Mother I have to go back and take courses first before I can just up and take the MCAT again. It took a long time for me to do well like I did before. It will take at least two to three years before I can apply and feel confident about getting in.

Mom: THREE YEARS!!! THREE YEARS!!! You mean I have to wait that long. You should have told me!

**MMMM Yummy alcohol***
Me: ***Quietly*** I've been telling you that from the beginning mother you just weren't listening. **SIP, SIP***

Mom: Oh, Well. Now I have to go and call all of the people I invited to your party.

***Vodka and orange juice through the nose hurts***
Me:Mother I TOLD YOU NO PARTY.

Mom: Don't Yell!!! Well anyway, I'll just tell people that you decided to reopen your business. So sweety you look tired why don't you go upstairs and get some sleep. Did you eat yet?

**I crawl upstairs to my room and go and hide under my covers. I wonder if the vodka pain in my nose will be gone before morning***

LOL!

I sympathize with you. I think there's a chance my parents could be related to yours. :p

Conversation 5:30 am 30mins before alarm goes off

Mom: Sweety are you sleeping

Me: No I crazy glued my head to the pillow to see what would happen

Mom: Don't be fresh

***Sleep is overrated anyway***

Me: What is it mother

Mom: Paramedics and EMT's are not the same right?

Me: Right

Mom: Which one is better?

Me: Neither they are both equally useful

***Must talk faster... gotta get her away so sleep will come***

Mom: but which one has the most stuff to do.

Me: They both have the same stuff

Mom: Sweety you know what I mean just answer mom's question okay?

***Is there something about 5:30am that makes mother's insane?**

Me: Mother do we have to talk abouthis right now?

Mom: (determined authoritative voice) Yes, we do.

Me: (Face still in the pillow) Paramedics can give drugs and intubate people. EMT's cannot.

Mom: And you're an EMT

Me: Is there an echo in here?

***Oh bad idea***

Mom:Young lady you will watch your mouth.

Me: ***MUMBLE*** sorry

Mom: Para means almost or half way ther right?

Me: something like that.

Mom: Then if you were a Paramedic you'd be half way to being a doctor. I think you should become a paramedic.

***Just agree and you could go back to sleep***

Me: No mother, it's not the same as being half way to becoming a doctor. there is no half way.

***I told you to agree and go back to sleep***

Mom: Sweety, if you just want to disagree with me because I'm your mother that's okay, but you really shouldn't fib about what the facts are. Anyway go back to sleep sweety you sound tired.

***Alarm starts blaring 10mins later***
Me: God I need to find a place!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me: God I need to find a place!!!!!!!!!!!!

but if you did, where would be get our daily fix of silvercholla's mom stories :(

DW You're right but keep in mind mom's aren't the only nutsos around!!!!

***Conversation 2:10pm***

Dad: Hi dear

***Uh Oh***

Me: Hi Daddy what's up

Dad: Your mother says that you are really into this EMT thing and that she hopes it doesn't keep you from medical school.

***I repeat, Uh Oh***

Me: It won't daddy

Dad: Well that's good. Can you come with me to my doctor appointment on Saturday?

Caveat: This actually a good thing because I have always been concerned about my parents' health and they never tell the Doctor the whole truth when it comes to their health.

Me: Sure, that's no problem

Dad: Good then you can tell her what she should prescribe to me for my chest cold, because the last prescription really didn't do anything.

***You know, 28yrs of marriage does make you just like the other person***

Me: Daddy, I'm not a doctor and the doctor knows more than I do.

Dad: But you're my daughter and we have a spiritual and biological connection that the doctor and I just don't have. You would know better.

***WHAT!!!***

Me: Daddy just listen to the doctor or get a second opinion, but please please stop listening to mom!!!!!

Dad: Okay dear, you know more medical stuff than I do. Have a good day.

***Dad's are easy, THANK GOD!!!***

Now I'm certain our parents are related! :rolleyes: :D

***Conversation 10mins ago***

Me: (Very Tired) Good Afternoon, Money Transfer

Mom: Why do you sound so tired, didn't you get enough sleep?

***WWWWWWAAAAAAAAAA******

Me: Hello Mother, what is it?

Mom: I found your old MCAT scores

***Can't you see where this is going? Hang up, hang up now!***

Me: Really

Mom: I think you should do something other than medicine. Have you ever though about becoming a lawyer or a CPA or paramedic? That's almost like a doctor dear. And don't worry Your father and I are still proud of you.

***BOOOIINNNGGG! Oh look my brain is removable***

Me: What are you talking about mother, I did okay on it the last time.

Mom: Sweety, I may not be premed but I can count. A score in the 30's is not good at all. But don't worry I love you and I will support you anything you want to do. Maybe you should reopen your business.

***Is it possible for one person to cause an MI in another person?***

Me: Mother the score is out of 45

Mom: OH!!!.... MY!!!.... Sweety I think that you will be a wonderful doctor. I will help you apply so we ca get you in sooner than three years!!!! Tomorrow you should take off from work so we can go to Mount Sinai and Downstate. Oh this is wonderful!!!!

Me: Mother... Mother.... MOTHER!!!!!! HELLLOOOOOO!!!!!

Mom: Don't yell. What is it dear.

Me:The score alone won't do it I have to have other things and IT IS GOING TO TAKE THREE YEARS!!!

Mom: Oh, Well... You really shouldn't be dragging you butt like this sweety. You don't want to get to old do you?

***translation: My balloon is completely deflated but at least you're still in the game. I have much to hope for****

***Wha? Did I pass out?***

Wait... Silver... why did you take the MCAT 3 years in advance? That is kinda confusing.

Dad: Good then you can tell her what she should prescribe to me for my chest cold, because the last prescription really didn't do anything.

All you have to do is give your dad a laxative once for his chest cold, and I guarantee you he won't ask for your medical advice again.

I initially took them with the intention of applying for that upcoming class, but after looking at my GPA and with life also interfering I postponed and opened my own business instead and began work. So It wasn't that I took it just to take it, it was that I didn't follow through with the process.

FUNNY GENEMAN:laugh: :laugh:

Ok you win silvercholla. Your posts are absolutely the funniest things ever posted here. They are hysterical.

Just for a second imagine the conversations you will have with them on the day you get accepted, or on your first day of medical school, or the day you graduate, or ....

You are in for years of hell! Keep the alcohol handy.

this is a doozy...... my mom is usually pretty understanding and nice through this process....today was an exception.
(I have been commuting to Rutgers everyday to work from my house which is 45mins away....)

mom: i hope you like commuting this summer
me: why?
mom: because you'll be doing it for med school right?
me: what????
mom: well, why rent an apartment when you can live here?
me: i'd commute about 2 hours/day...too much time lost
mom: too much time lost on socializing????
me: NO- STUDYING!
mom: i did it, you can too.
me: uh, you didn't go to medical school, number one. number 2, your college was 10 minutes from home. you'll have to explain the equality there.
dad walks in the door
me: i will not commute to medical school!
dad: oh boy, i'm leaving
dad walks out the door
mom: you'll do what you have to
me: yeah, live near school

**oh, i hope i get into somewhere far**

btw silver- your parents are hysterical!

Silvercholla, your mom is so cute. :D

This may be my favorite thread. I'm just sorry I have nothing to contribute. My parents seem so normal now...

Come poeple. It is all because of misunderstanding. Talk to you parents more so they could understnad more and give good advice.

Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]
Come poeple. It is all because of misunderstanding. Talk to you parents more so they could understnad more and give good advice.

See, that's exactly the point of this thread. No matter how much you talk to your parents, sometimes they just don't understand. :laugh: Maybe it's a weird parent gene or something. :D