Parents just don't understand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
786mine said:
just deal with it. quit whining and give them some respect.

you don't understand this thread... it isn't about whining or being disrespectful. we are all of course grateful for the support all of our parents give us. it's all in good humor since it's a part of what all kids whose parents aren't dentists have to go through.

i too am glad to see this thread revived, it was one of my favorites last year and i think the 2006 applicants will appreciate it too! :D

Members don't see this ad.

ednarf...in my head i picture your dad as looking like the dad from american pie...hehehe :laugh:

these stories are funny keep then coming!!! I think the reason are parents are clueless about the application process is because they have never applied to a pre-professional program before?

Members don't see this ad :)
these stories are funny keep them coming....I think the reason our parents are so clueless to the process is because they have never applied to a pre-professional program before!!

I never had problems with my parents, I've always told them everything every step of the way so they won't one day freak out with why are u in school for 5 years what are u doing with your life? They in return help me with my problems and calm me down when the situation gets stressful. Just sit down and talk to them its a great form of bonding.

I was reading this thread, and had to post a conversation that happend recently.

Friend #1: So, how is school going.
Me: Pretty well. Can't wait for spring break.
Friend #1: When will you actually be done?
Me: 2009.
Friend #2: What are you on the 4 year program or something!?! They're just teeth!
Me: the program is four years long. it's like medical school.
Friend #2: you have to be only taking one class at a time. there isn't that much you need to know to pull teeth!
Friend #1: hey, you are a bouncer at a bar. what do you know about dental school?

completely true story. I was so taken aback, i didn't know what to say. It's amazing what people say in ignorance.

drkt said:
I was reading this thread, and had to post a conversation that happend recently.

Friend #1: So, how is school going.
Me: Pretty well. Can't wait for spring break.
Friend #1: When will you actually be done?
Me: 2009.
Friend #2: What are you on the 4 year program or something!?! They're just teeth!
Me: the program is four years long. it's like medical school.
Friend #2: you have to be only taking one class at a time. there isn't that much you need to know to pull teeth!
Friend #1: hey, you are a bouncer at a bar. what do you know about dental school?

completely true story. I was so taken aback, i didn't know what to say. It's amazing what people say in ignorance.
thats why he is serving beers and cocktails

My parents and most all friends and relatives are very understanding about what I'm going through. They do encourage me quite a bit, but they probably know I'm a hopeless case and they're just making me not feel like an idiot! +pity+

A good friend of mine told me he was having a conversation with his grandmother about me the other day.

Grandmother: So how is Tanya doing? What is she up to?
My friend: Well, she's graduating from college in May.
Grandmother: And then going to medical school?
My friend: No, dental school actually.
Grandmother: What?! I thought she was smart!

:(

JakeMUSC said:
thats why he is serving beers and cocktails

Obviously you've never been a bartender. I was one for a couple years after college and made damn good (and tax free) bucks ($400+ a night). I also worked with some very bright people. You shouldn't judge people by their job choices. Leave that to the MD's :laugh:

TanyaO86 said:
A good friend of mine told me he was having a conversation with his grandmother about me the other day.

ouch

TanyaO86 said:

hahaha. thats f'ed up but its actually kinda funny. u can't put too much emphasis on what others think of ur career. just brush it off. honestly, prestige is overrated (not to mention dentistry is becoming increasingly prestigious anyway). i heard a song lyric the other day that people's jokes remind me of:

you got jokes? i'll be laughing all the way to the bank, now thats REALLY funny

it's so true. so, in conclusion, dentistry is tha bomb, word to your friend's grandmother.

Get a FREE Playstation Portable!! This thing works:

http://www.FreePSPs.com/?r=17266061

what i think is funny is how my older relatives are already cranking open their mouths and complaining of pain, wanting my opinion. They still think that my 4 years of undergrad was dental school! :scared:

denty said:
what i think is funny is how my older relatives are already cranking open their mouths and complaining of pain, wanting my opinion. They still think that my 4 years of undergrad was dental school! :scared:
You're not kiddin. As soon as I said I wanted to be a dentist, all kinds of people think I all of a sudden have this knowledge of teeth. People asking me what procedure I think they need for a cracked molar, how much things cost. Its crazy. One good thing though, is that I've already started building my clientel! I've got guys are work who are in no hurry to get things corrected in their mouth, and are happy to wait until I can do it for them! I'm like "ok buddy, you just save your money for 5-7 years and I'll take care of you then. And if I don't become a dentist, dont hesitate to pay me anyway and I'll do the best I can!" :laugh:

So my story's opposite of most of yours:

My gf: My tooth hurts, it's where I had a root canal a couple years ago and it's giving me a headache.
Me: Let me have a look at it, I'm practically a dentist now that i've been accepted.
Her: No way! You don't know anything yet!
Me: I'm serious! I'll get it taken care of right here. You have a dremel moto tool?
Her: No, you're not touching my teeth!
Me: WHY DON'T YOU TRUST ME???

Of course I was joking though.
I had something else to say but forgot. When I think of it I'll edit and replace this line.

lol

edkNARF said:
I thought I might want to give you guys an little transcript of a conversation I just had with my dad. We were in CVS (a major retail pharmacy/convience store in case there is not one nearby you) when this happened:

Dad, walking up to me with a complete stranger: This is my son, he is going to be a dentist.
Complete Stranger: Which toothpaste is the best?
Me: I beg your pardon
Dad: This lady was looking for toothpaste, and she asked me if I knew which one was good. I figured you would know!
Me: Why would I know that?
Complete Stranger: I think you should really know this stuff before you enter dental school.
Dad: Yeah, shouldn't you know stuff like this BEFORE you go to dental school.
Me: Choosing Toothpaste 101 is not one of the required prerequisites for dental school.
Complete Stranger: I really think you should know this.
Dad: I agree
Me: Why don't you ask your dentist which one he wants you to use.
Dad: Like there is a difference in toothpastes.
Me: Then why am I being asked?!?!
Complete Stranger: Well if anyone would know, it should be you.
Me: Why don't you pick one that has the ADA seal on it.
Dad: What is the ADA?
Me: The American Dental Association
Complete stranger: See, he knew which one is good.
Dad: That is my son, the dentist!
Me (to myself): I think I am going to go the dental school as far as away from Long Island as I can possibly go.

Thank God I am not the only one with totally ignorant parents.

My dad's a medical technologist, reasonably intelligent and an all around good guy. My mother on the other hand is a high school dropout who is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice. She's totally clueless and all she cares about is prestige (basically one uping her friends about what her kids are doing and how it's better than what their kids are doing) and money. Here's a small sampling of the BS I put up with from this woman:

MOM: So when are you going to get off your a-- and go to med school?
Me: I'm not. I'm going to go to dental school.
MOM: Why? Can't you get into medical school?
Me: Yes. In fact any schmuck with a decent GPA and a clean criminal history can pretty much find a medical school to let him in. Dental schools are far more choosy.
MOM: Oh, I don't see why they should be, all they work on is teeth.
Me: *WALKS AWAY SHAKING HEAD*

MOM: I was talking to Sally (her best friend) and she was saying that dentists make a lot of money.
Me: So?
MOM: Well I was just wondering who would make more money- you or Nathan (Sally's eldest son who is allegedly going to become a physician)
Me: I don't know.
MOM: How can you not know? Haven't you looked into it?
Me: Yeah, I have.
MOM: And?
Me: What's the big deal about what I will make?
MOM: You need to make lots of money.
Me: (now pissed because I've been down this road with her too many times before) WHY? SO YOU CAN BRAG ABOUT HOW MUCH I MAKE? How much money I can, will, or do make is not any concern of yours or anyone elses. You won't see a penny of it and anyways it's not important so shut up about it.
MOM: I just wanted to know for curiosity's sake.
ME: No you didn't. You wanted to go rub it in Sally's face

OK OK....so I have the total opposite of all your parents.

My parents know everything about everything. Practically everyone in my family is an MD....so it didn't take much time for me to decide to become a DDS. <---Besides, they allllllll recommended that I go to dental school instead of medical school. (wonder why.... :rolleyes: )

Trust me, it's also difficult to have your parents and siblings know everything (or be totally informed about the process) because they become totally anal about when and how you submit paperwork etc. And being the younger one means having to keep up the tradition of excellence...and blah blah blah..it puts on an added load of stress. :(

Anyways, sometimes I think I would prefer to have parents like yours...that way I'd just do my stuff when and how I wished without much gripe to hear about.

hey...maybe you all are the lucky ones.... :p