Parents that are MDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HK35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys just curious about your opinions on how Medical schools look at applicants whose parents are physicians? do they get a slight edge over other applicants or is it harder for them?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that you might be excused from doing as much shadowing as others, since it's assumed that you've absorbed pertinent tales at the dinner table. This is curious, since having the advantage of parental contacts with other docs should make it very easy to acquire this EC.

I think it can go either way. A lot of kids come off as if they feel like they are entitled to become a doctor just because their parents are....this would be a huge red flag for adcomms, especially if they think they don't have to do the stuff that all other premeds need to do to get in (volunteer, etc). My dad is a doctor, and he said that if you don't have all the EC's and stuff they will probably look at you and think your parents are pushing you into it (definitely not true in my case...since he always said he never wanted any of his children to become doctors because he knows the sacrifices). So definitely try and demonstrate why it is that YOU want to go into medicine, and not rely much on your parents. However, like Catalystik said, you do have the advantage of knowing a little more what it is like lifestyle-wise, coming from the prospective of a family member. I mentioned knowing full well the sacrifices and hard work it will take to achieve my goal because I saw how hard my dad worked, and experienced him not being home ever. But, I did also take the opportunity to shadow other specialties, and see medicine from that side too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree, i think it will all come down how you are perceived in your personal statement and interview.

Thank you guys your responses were great, My mom is the physician and although I do not apply until may I have written my PS and my first pargraph mentioned how my mom inspired me to become a doctor with a quote I always remember ,"Between me and god, there are doctors" would this be a good approach?