part -1 in july 2004...........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi bluefairy

I'M ABOUT TO BEGIN WITH DA AND ANAT. HOW'S UR PREPARATION GOING ON.WHAT ARE U STUDYING BASICALLY COULD U LET ME KNOW.

Members don't see this ad.

well....ur most welcome...........join the gang.................
as far as kaplan is concerned u can check the poll abt kaplan.....iKaplan?A must or must not?
well pattern is changing after july 2004...i heard the same...u can read toothzone's post on page -2 of the this thread............
all the best..see ya.......

Hi bluefairy
My prep is jus sloggin'+pissed+ ......am doing systems in kaplan right now.Initially 3 hrs/day is okay it takes some time to get into the groove....study well.:)

Karu1977 n DrGray welcome aboard:clap:

Karu....how'z ur DA n Anat going on....?

DrGray......hopefully there'll be no change in the pattern yet.......there were some thoughts regarding that before.....but not heard anything later.....:scared:.there's been some post regarding that discussed earlier
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=1174450#post1174450
In my opinion it's always better to contact ADA or check their website to find the latest up-dates.

by the way....hey toothgirl how are you.../haven't seen you on board these days...how'z ur prep going on buddy...?

Ok Good Luck to all of us.......:) Let's study well n discuss how'z our prep going on and let's motivate each other......:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx Karu1977
this is a grrrreat site!!!
well, i was really anxious about the pattern changing. Anyway, what d'u say about Anatomy.Is it that Head and Neck is the most imp. part?? like in our dental colleges..................in India.............
such less time we all have.................. but i think 8 hrs or so a day is enough..... wat d'u say???
i'll catch up later
DrGray

Originally posted by KARU1977
hi bluefairy

I'M ABOUT TO BEGIN WITH DA AND ANAT. HOW'S UR PREPARATION GOING ON.WHAT ARE U STUDYING BASICALLY COULD U LET ME KNOW.

Hi!! KARU1977, I am doing anatomy and DA together.Its going on well.How about have u finished any subject !! I am doing the decks right now.Good luck with your prep .and keep me posted .

Hi, All
Still working on DA ..seems to be taking a long time time ..since 2 weeks!!!!!! ..how is it going for everyone else...??..weekend is here..and the snow fall just doesn't seem to stop:rolleyes:
.............Can anyone help out with regards to occlusion questions where to study the theory for that from ..???..it is not so well given in decks and a few pages of it cover it in the everfamous "kaplan bookkkkkkk"""""...any help is really appreciated...
Thanks
Keep up the motivation ..
Toothzone
:D

ok guys

now I can say that I have mastered the subject of DA....have been scoring 96-98 routinely in the past papers......the one topic which used to trouble me the most was occlusion.......and here in India NO ONE teaches it.....neither the occlusal relationships nor the cuspal contacts during the mandibular movements.

So one day I gathered all the ques from the past papers and decks and compiled the same to get a theory base.

using the same I am able to solve ALL the ques for the same.

I am ready to share the same with all of you,provided I see at least 20 posts on this thread saying it will be useful to them.

ONly then will my efforts be worth it.

lemme know

cheers

btw I hate BIO chem!

Originally posted by gpg
ok guys

now I can say that I have mastered the subject of DA....have been scoring 96-98 routinely in the past papers......the one topic which used to trouble me the most was occlusion.......and here in India NO ONE teaches it.....neither the occlusal relationships nor the cuspal contacts during the mandibular movements.

So one day I gathered all the ques from the past papers and decks and compiled the same to get a theory base.

using the same I am able to solve ALL the ques for the same.

I am ready to share the same with all of you,provided I see at least 20 posts on this thread saying it will be useful to them.

ONly then will my efforts be worth it.

lemme know

cheers

btw I hate BIO chem!

gpg
u r true that no body in india teaches us 'occlusion''
so quite a lot of us would be deficient in this topic ,so it would be really really greatful of u if u share ur notes to us.
thanks.

hi buddy.........well..i am sure occlusion and the related topics will be of great help as no one teaches that well in india......but then y twenty posts??????me, deepa,wiztooth.......we would really appreciate it if u help us............u post and all the people on SDN will be able to see it.........well if that suits you and thanks a lot....

and what r u doing for biochem?????lippincots is easy and good and i have heard that little brown review book is good...check out at amazon.com for that...old one is for $7.00..........u can check out these sites for mnemonics ..they are worth it.....

http://www.studynow.com/mnemonics/

http://www.medicalmnemonics.com/
hope this helps........
all the best.............
b/w.....i would love to meet you...........am i welcome for biryani????

Originally posted by meetlife
hi buddy.........well..i am sure occlusion and the related topics will be of great help as no one teaches that well in india......but then y twenty posts??????me, deepa,wiztooth.......we would really appreciate it if u help us............u post and all the people on SDN will be able to see it.........well if that suits you and thanks a lot....

and what r u doing for biochem?????lippincots is easy and good and i have heard that little brown review book is good...check out at amazon.com for that...old one is for $7.00..........u can check out these sites for mnemonics ..they are worth it.....

http://www.studynow.com/mnemonics/

http://www.medicalmnemonics.com/
hope this helps........
all the best.............
b/w.....i would love to meet you...........am i welcome for biryani????

hi meetlife,
i have two qs for u.
one is that do we have to do dental materials also or not at all.
another q is that is there any difference bw reprints and papers.
please tell me.
thankz
take care.

well.......how r u doing?????
question papers and ASDA reprints are same.
no we do not have to do the dental materials at all for part -1....
hope this helps.....
all the best......

I was just trying to see how many people react to my request of 20 posts....I am in the process of accumulating the notes on occlusion........will host the same in about 15 days....

Guess I will get Lippencots.....does anyone have the little review book I have relatives in NJ who can buy it from u and send it to me......please let me know

thanks.....

yes everyone is welcome for Biryani......guess I better start practising that along with my Biochem :laugh:

gpg,

If you're having a hard time with biochem, well then just swicth to physio and stick with it. After you're done with physio, come back to biochem and things might be clearer then.

I know is supossed to be the other way around, but you never know sometimes. This certanly was the only way it worked for me.

I used a really tiny and thin book from the High Yield series. Is a USMLE part 1 Biochemestery review. It won't go into details, but it's really condensed and only tells you the main things into each cycle.

Biochem is like Russian or Japanese to me, a unknow unheard foreign language.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello dr. gray

sorry for delaying the reply. i think head and neck is obviously the most part , specially being a dentist. well in my case i'm finding it very difficult to understand or learn limb portion even in india we never emphasize much on it. how about ur preparation.all the best.

hi blue fairy

i have gone thru dental decks of micro/patho only once. i think i'm going at a very low pace. how's ur preparation. all the best

hi meetlife,
your mailbox is full.tried to reply to you few days back.

hi gpg.........well r u india right now??????if yes where???i might get my browns review by april though i am not very sure.....did u check at amazon.com........book is cheap comparatively...........and even shipment is not much...u can order online........ur relatives can do that and send u by courier............
i am doing lippincots............its a good book...very easy......
i have kaplan also but they do not make any sense ........there is no connection b/w the lines........only good for mugging up.........divide into smaller portions and then do it...like one hour in the morning......one in evening and one at night..in b/w do some other subjects........
u can practice biryani during ur break hours.......
thanks for the occlusion and da stuff in advance...........:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

hi neha....well i am sorry ......i have cleared up my mail box.....
how r u doing?????all the best ...do well.......
:) :) :)

hey guys,
are most of you taking the computerised version or are you going to stick to the paper based part 1 . Please let me know what if any special preparation is required for the computerised version?
thanks

Hi Meetlife,
Iam trying to send a pm ,i think your mail box is full.

I missed lots of action.....gotta catch up all that....
Well...I hope everybody is preparing well:clap:
gpg.....that's really a very sweet gesture indeed....:clap::love: As told by buddy meetlife....it'll be like an oasis for the people like us who literally dread DA:rolleyes: +pissed+.Coming to Biochem.....it's actually okay......take any text of ur choice....the one u used in the college or Lippincott's(Lippincott's is good....but no need to know A-Z of it...u can do a good selective reading) go thro' the structure of Carbohydrates in the text and then check it out in decks....next do the CHO metabolism from text and seperate the CHO metabolism ones in dex and do that.....and while doing the cycles check out electron transport chain n related bioenergetics.Like wise u can do for lipids n aminoacids.Later u can do vitamins,DNA,RNA etc.It works for me...n just check it out whether it suits u.:)

ratson.....even I've the plans of computerised version but don't know when exactly!!.....If we are taking it up before July the only spl prep we need is to work hard might be....:) in b/w if u don't mind could u plz tell when are u planning to take CBT....
Good luck guys...keep studying........:clap: :thumbup:
(phew as usual i end up with lotz of emoticons.....bear me guys!)

hey wiztooth,
thanks for your reply. I was planning to take the exams in July (even if I take the CBT) . The special preparation I asked abt was incase the CBT follows a seperate format then the paper based.
Its always quite nerve wrecking to be the first batch to experiment new stuff:)
good luck with your preparation

hi,
I heard that kaplan offers a review book for national boards.
not sure how useful this is n also was wondering if the review book was better than the kaplan notes.
any suggetions

Hi ratson,
As per their website says there won't be any diff b/w paper n computer paper format.But only one thing is before May 1st there will not be any flexibility to move b/w 2 sections like the written one.....IMHO it's always better to check ADA website to check their latest updates....dunno when they'll come up with some new modifications:scared: .Ya... it'll be really nerve racking to be the 1st ones to take that......I haven't yet decided abt my test date.....but definitely I would prefer CBT as we can get the results soon.
Good luck to u too:)

Is there any difference between Kaplan 2001& 2003 editions?

Hey guys check this out

http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/natboard/part1_computerized.asp#new

everything u want to know about the CBT.....

I am very keen on the CBT for 2 reasons:
1)Flexibility of exam date and location.
2)Early result

How ever I am a little skeptical about taking it because of the ignorance about the format and all that.

Guess I will order the tutorial CD and check that out first and then decide.

If anyone here comes to know of anyone having taken the CBT please ask them to share their experience with us.It will be very much appreciated.

Also those of us who take the exam will surely do the same.

cheers!

P.s.But I still hate biochem!

Is there any difference between Kaplan 2001& 2003 editions?
there is not too much of a difference between the 2001 and 2003 edition and also the 2004 edition.
I think one extra chapter was added to the 2003 edition. and some corrections were made in the 2004 edition.

Hi guys.

I am bit confused here i wanted to know if they show the Pathological pics in Patho-Microbiology part. And how many question usualy r there from the histological pics in Anatomy paper.

Any input is appreciated

Ali99

hey gpg,
you know if you want to know someone's input on the CBT there is one available on the links of interest to foreign trained dentist .
I have read it recently and found it very useful,the person who appeared for it gave both the paper based and the Cbt and think he got a 93%. I apologise for not remebering the exact thread but you will find it as soon as you scroll down. Also ,it will clear lot of the confusion regarding the cbt
hope this info helps.

Ya Ratson

I have read that post but I am not too sure it was a true exam....I believe it was a mock exam conducted by the ADA to check out how fesiblethe CBT is....What I am interested is in hearing from some one who takes the CBT after 1st april.....and more so after 1st May when they will start allowing shifting b/w the two sections.......

I don't recall any Patho or histo pics in both the exams I have taken.......I think thats for part II......

Hai guys!!
voila!!!!so much has been goin on...n where have i been?

Wiztooth, u'r way of studying biochem is really good .Hope that helps me too....

gpg,it's really sweet of u to b sharing u'r effort's result.u r gonna b my savior [thanks in advance]

Originally posted by itsme
there is not too much of a difference between the 2001 and 2003 edition and also the 2004 edition.
I think one extra chapter was added to the 2003 edition. and some corrections were made in the 2004 edition. [/quote ]

hai it'sme!so do u think there is no need 2 buy the 2004 edition decks??

hai it'sme!so do u think there is no need 2 buy the 2004 edition decks??
HI gorur!
I was talking about kaplan not the dental decks. I am not sure about how different the 2004 decks are, as compared to the 2001. But I heard that they have added more cards to the 2004 set.
If u do have the 2001 edition, then it is better u call up and directly talk to someone at dental decks and ask them this question.
the tel number is 1-800-457-7126

ok all you fellows

as promised I have started mu thread on DAO......the first topic is mandibular movements....please check it out....also use the separate thread I have opened for doubts and commnts......please let me know what u all feel.......all the best....happy occluding!

hey people,
i am also planning to take up part 1 in july 2004. i got a rejection letter from BU. had a part1 score of 86 from july 2003.
lets see how i do this time

:confused:

and meetlife please delete something out of ur pm box cause its filled to brim and none of my message to u are going through
thanx

lasjy

Hi guys.

I am bit confused here i wanted to know if they show the Pathological pics in Patho-Microbiology part. And how many question usualy r there from the histological pics in Anatomy paper.

Any input is appreciated

Pleas help me out

Ali99

Hey lasjy,
I am wondering why did they not call you at BU?
I believe that they require a minimum of 85 aggregate on part 1.
Did they give you a reason why they did not select you at least for an interview.

Please tell me this time around what special or different preparation are you doing. I too am reappearing and was wondering what different technique should we follow.

I have 2001 decks..Are there any changes in 2004 decks?.Am in a confusion whether to buy 2004 decks or just follow 2001 decks.

hey people,
for all those preparing for part 1 look up the thread For all the rejects........it will give everyone clear ideas why some of us got rejected at different universities and on what basis.

thanx
lasjy

Hi ali,
As far as I know there are not any slides or pictures of general histology.There might be pictures of dental histology ranging from (0- 4) maybe.
And general pathology too they dono have pictures usually.
take care

Hi Lasjy,
Sorry to here about the reject but don't loose heart take care and prepare well for Part I...
Have faith

DA
Thanks for all the useful info provided...
Any help is highly appreciated if someone can help regarding working side movements ..cuspal relations and non-working side ..cuspal relations..there are so many questions with regards to that ...and in the last 2003 paper there were only 2 diagrams of tooth ..everything else was worded ...no pictures of working movements ..had to work on a lot of imagination ..!!!!
Kindly help.
Thanks
Toothzone

Hi toothzone,
have you checked out gpg's posts and threads on DAO?
Maybe they have the info you need..

Hi, Pink Tooth
I did check out his notes on mandibular movements ..but my doubts are in cuspal postions during working and non -working movements ..there are many questions with regards to that ..and the theory of it is not explanined anywhere ..you have to use a lot of your imagination during DA exam..!!!!!and it takes up a lot of your time .
.I wish students do post some info regarding that ..any book ..that explains that would be really useful..????as wheelers does not have anything major on occlusion..!!
Thanks
Toothzone

:confused:

Hey Toothzone.....

Once I take up a job I do it to the finish....I will be posting a tutorial on cuspal relations during mandi movements too.....but you got to give me some time for that.....till then check out my latest tut.....on centric occlusion....

Thanks GPG..
You are definetly helping so many of us around ..thanks a lot for that ....Great job.!!!!!
I wish there were more people like you in this world .."world would have been such a nice place to live in"!!!
Keen on seeing your notes on cuspal relations during mandibular movements..(Working and non-working side).
Thanks
Toothzone:clap:

Hi,
Has anyone got the tutorial cd for the national boards part 1 cbt? What exactly does it contain? The ada website says " The tutorial does NOT include sample National Board content, but it does provide the opportunity to become familiar with the basic steps involved in proceeding through the test."
What exactly does this mean? If anyone has got the cd kindly enlighten me on what exactly it contains?:confused:

cheers
Mrinalini

Originally posted by Toothzone
Thanks GPG..
You are definetly helping so many of us around ..thanks a lot for that ....Great job.!!!!!
I wish there were more people like you in this world .."world would have been such a nice place to live in"!!!
Keen on seeing your notes on cuspal relations during mandibular movements..(Working and non-working side).
Thanks
Toothzone:clap:
you have to check out kaplan book occlusion section.

Thanks Toothlord..for the info on DA...
Toothzone:p

Any more notes from gpg??..regarding DA??
I would like to know regarding Biochem -physiology..is there any other book souce that I can refer to besides decks and kaplan..???asda papers are more oriented towards physio than biochem..
Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.
Thanks
Toothzone:confused: