divXyng

5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm doing a DYI post bac in the Fall and was wondering if I can get some advice regarding what kind of jobs I should be looking into and focusing on during my 1 year post bac.

I have a computer science background and have been working in the industry for about 4 years but I have no lab experience and I am interested in either EM or Rad Onc which are hard to get into without research in medical school.

Ideally, I would want to help out with research during this one year but one year isn't enough time to really do anything significant especially without experience. Anyway, I'll need a source of income so would it be beneficial to try to get an entry level lab job that will teach me how to like solutions and clean equipment. Or should I look into student developer jobs that would allow me to use my computer science experience? Or should I just work at a Starbucks or something while focusing on classes and MCAT prep? My number one priority is to do well in classes and prepare for the MCAT while having a bit of income.

DocJanItor

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2017
Status
Medical Student
As a non-trad, it's very difficult to get research opportunities. Generally, you're not working with upper level professors, and they know you're not going to be around for more than a year (as opposed to undergrads who can be around for 2-3 years). However, your research opportunities in medical school won't be related to your research in undergrad, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If I were you I'd stick with what you know. CS will almost always pay more than minimum wage, you have flexibility in your hours, and you can often work from home. This will give you the ability to maximize your study time while also earning some dough.

About the Ads