Part timer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
So I made the switch from full time pharmacist at a big retail chain to half-time pharmacist / half-time stay at home dad. Today is my first day off. I never thought I would enjoy doing laundry and dishes so much. It's an awesome feeling.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
So I made the switch from full time pharmacist at a big retail chain to half-time pharmacist / half-time stay at home dad. Today is my first day off. I never thought I would enjoy doing laundry and dishes so much. It's an awesome feeling.
awesome for you - my goal is to drop to part time in my early 50's before I retire in my mid 60's. As a part time RPh you still make more money than the average american

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Are you getting any benefits?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Insurance at current rate until May 31, 2017. By that time I will have switched over to my wife's plan. I have a new kid on the way. Current kid is already on wife's insurance. Interestingly, adding new kid AND me to wife's insurance costs the same as adding new kid only.

Still for a chain?

Im part time as well, but I pick up extra shifts. Soon I wont have to do that. In 4 years we wont even need my PT income. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! I made the jump from full to part time back in March! I haven't regretted it one bit! I still get benefits at 20 hours a week and more time with the kids and wife.

I'm working about 50 hours a week consistently (almost a year since passing boards). Goal is to work avg of 50hours thru my 20's to mid 30's, then drop to the 42-44hours a week and then in my 50's drop to 3 12's and enjoy retirement in my 60's. As much as I want to take a break and just work 40 hours a week, I just can't let the money go. To be a Pharmacist and make close to 200k is too good to pass up.

^ are you Momus' son?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm working about 50 hours a week consistently (almost a year since passing boards). Goal is to work avg of 50hours thru my 20's to mid 30's, then drop to the 42-44hours a week and then in my 50's drop to 3 12's and enjoy retirement in my 60's. As much as I want to take a break and just work 40 hours a week, I just can't let the money go. To be a Pharmacist and make close to 200k is too good to pass up.

I have the same mindset. Milk it while you can... you never know what the future holds. I'll be working at least 40, and as much as possible until student loans are taken care of. Won't even think about cutting back until my portfolio returns exceed my salary.

Reactions: 1 users
Interestingly, adding new kid AND me to wife's insurance costs the same as adding new kid only.

Adults are more likely to have chronic (ie expensive) conditions, than are children (who may have more office visits, but usually for minor infections and stuff.) Most insurances I've seen have coverage for self, self + family or they have coverage for self, self + spouse, self + family.

I'm doing 57.5 hours one week and 52.5 hours the other week. Huge drop from the 70 hours a week I used to do.

40 hours a week at hospital every week and one week I'll do 17.5 hours between 2 independents, and the next week I'll do 12.5 hours at one independent.

Plan is to just do 40 a week at hospital in a couple years and eventually 30 hours a week.