PA's trained to do surgery a possibility in the future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted662474

I was just wondering if there is a possibility for Physician Assistants to be able to do a 5-7 year surgical residency after PA school and be able to perform surgery in the future? I know there already are surgical residencies for PA's, but it's still more of an assisting the surgeon role when they finish residency and start to work in the field. Just wanted to know what your thoughts are on this. :corny:

Members don't see this ad.

shouldn't be, but those things are more about lobbying power than logic

Reactions: 1 users
I think you're getting at the notion of a PA becoming a fully trained INDEPENDENT surgeon.
Nope.
PAs are still dependent providers. While there is a push for growing independence among some PAs, IMO surgery will be the last bastion to be insulated from this because surgical PAs are true physician ASSISTANTS, pretty different from the role a medical PA has. I know...I was a medical PA for 11 years before going back to med school and am now a PGY2 FM resident.
If the OP wants to be an independent surgeon, he/she needs to go to medical school and do the whole shebang. Surgery is competitive so do well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The mindset of " I want to be the boss but I don't want to put in the work it takes to be the boss" that's sweeping our nation is scary.

Reactions: 1 user
If the OP is willing to move to Africa there are nations there (Liberia, Kenya, a few others) that will allow PAs to sit for the clinical officer exam. once you pass that you are an independent provider. you can learn to do whatever surgeries someone will teach you to do and once you meet local standards you are good to go. of course you only have that scope of practice in that country. there are PA/clinical officiers doing ortho surgeries, appys, choles, etc there as primary surgerons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_officer

As a surgical PA with chief resident type usage, can I please say, simply,.... never! Seriously. Damn