dorian24

2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2016
Hi,

Our school told us that our classes are all Pass/Fail. Does this mean anything? Isn't there still access to class rank? Also, is class rank that important for residencies? Thanks!

tvb

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 17, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Most schools that do this still rank which is important for deans letters and AOA. Rarely some schools will only rank based on clinical years.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Depends on your school.

Some Pass/Fail schools still internally rank their students. Some don't and are "true" P/F. Some schools are more open about this than others. If you're comfortable posting the school, perhaps you can get more accurate information, but just saying your school is P/F without context doesn't really mean much because of the amount of variation.

username456789

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Additionally, many are Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail which is the same as A/B/C/F but they hope their students are too dumb to notice.

Reactions: tvb

sloop

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Additionally, many are Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail which is the same as A/B/C/F but they hope their students are too dumb to notice.
I mean, I think it's different. Just because there are an equal number of grades you can get doesn't mean they're the same. At my school, preclinical grades were H/HP/P/F but HP was a very tiny group of students that narrowly missed honors. You could score 88% in a course overall and get a P. This is not the same as getting a C.

Rekt

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I mean, I think it's different. Just because there are an equal number of grades you can get doesn't mean they're the same. At my school, preclinical grades were H/HP/P/F but HP was a very tiny group of students that narrowly missed honors. You could score 88% in a course overall and get a P. This is not the same as getting a C.
Yeah that's worse. We're A->F, ranked down to XX.X%, I'll take that any day.