1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Pass/Fail MPH courses

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by karismatic, May 11, 2008.

1. karismatic

Other Health Professions Student
    I'm finishing up my first year in an MPH program. I am planning on reapplying to med school next summer and I'm trying to do extremely well in all my courses, especially epi and biostats. I decided to take an infectious disease course due to interest as well as an attempt to demonstrate that I can succeed in a graduate level science-based course. Well, I may not receive an A in the course and I am debating if I should make it Pass/ Fail instead in order to protect my 4.0 GPA. (By the way, my undergrad overall GPA was a 3.6). It's not a required course for my concentration. In between undergrad and grad school I took graduate level courses (Immunology, endocrinology) and did exceptionally well. I figured those courses would add to my overall science GPA. I'm unsure if Pass/Fail would appear as a weakness on my application in comparison to a B+. I know that this is getting into the nitty gritty of applying but I would appreciate any comments or thoughts from those who have been in my situation or are in my situation now.

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thedelicatessen

thedelicatessen In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you looking to coast through the rest of the course? If so, then taking the class P/NP would be the best thing for you. However, you mentioned that you want to prove that you can handle the coursework, and by switching to P/NP, I don't think you would accomplish that. Even if you don't get an A in the course, it would still be worthwhile to persist with your grade option unless you really are near failing. Either way, I don't think it would make a huge difference in your application, but ultimately, I think the journey is more important than its end. Good luck!