PASS RATES for COMLEX 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO4EVER

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so what are pass rates for each of the osteopathic schools? i hear TCOM is high up there, while PCOM doesn't publish their pass rates? Can anyone fill in the blanks

Members don't see this ad.

azcom is almost 100%...they definately make that point out loud and clear during interviews

most schools don't publish the info....and if they do make sure they are talking about the "1st time pass rate" and not overall pass rate....ie some schools may advertise #'s in the high 90's, but there is no way to tell how many failed and had to re-take it

Members don't see this ad :)
most schools don't publish the info....and if they do make sure they are talking about the "1st time pass rate" and not overall pass rate....ie some schools may advertise #'s in the high 90's, but there is no way to tell how many failed and had to re-take it

Schools get very hard data of how their students do. Actually our Dean just emailed us last week about the new data on class of 2008.

COMP DO 2008 has a 93% Comlex Step 1 1st time pass rate, which is 4th in the nation this year, and the difference between 2nd and 4th is only 1 %. The avg of the nation is 88%. So if AZCOM has close to 100%, is that 1st time pass rate? if so, then AZCOM has the highest pass rate, some 6% higher than the second highest. However, it also feels like a lot of different schools "advertise" their pass rate as close to 100%. Not sure if it's all 1st time pass rates, because there's no way that there could be multiple schools all getting above 94%, when data shows #2's pass rate is just about that.

Even though COMP's 4th in pass rate, according to our Dean, COMP 2008 has the highest class average in the nation, with an average score close to the top quartile. It means that, the average student in COMP 2008 is at about the top 25% nationally in Comlex step 1 score. I personally would care more about the average score if the difference between pass rates are minimal between schools, sometimes depending only on a handful of students failing to bring down the pass rate significantly, while in contrast the average score reflects how everyone in the class did as a whole.

Schools get very hard data of how their students do. Actually our Dean just emailed us last week about the new data on class of 2008.

COMP DO 2008 has a 93% Comlex Step 1 1st time pass rate, which is 4th in the nation this year, and the difference between 2nd and 4th is only 1 %. The avg of the nation is 88%. So if AZCOM has close to 100%, is that 1st time pass rate? if so, then AZCOM has the highest pass rate, some 6% higher than the second highest. However, it also feels like a lot of different schools "advertise" their pass rate as close to 100%. Not sure if it's all 1st time pass rates, because there's no way that there could be multiple schools all getting above 94%, when data shows #2's pass rate is just about that.

Even though COMP's 4th in pass rate, according to our Dean, COMP 2008 has the highest class average in the nation, with an average score close to the top quartile. It means that, the average student in COMP 2008 is at about the top 25% nationally in Comlex step 1 score.
thats really cool that your school does that....as far as I know we don't get to see that info here

if I had to guess who has the top pass rate....I would say OSU-COM...based solely on having Goljan full-time

Pass rate isn't the only thing to consider. My particular class at KCOM passed at a first time rate that was only a little above average for DO schools (somewhere around 94%) at the time. However, the scoring average for my class blew the national mean score out of the park.

The pass rates for azcom are for the first time pass rates. They also have near 100% pass rates for step II and i believe Step III is high 90's. Hope this helps! :thumbup:

COMLEX Part I Board Scores (1998-2007):
98 percent pass rate for first-time test-takers, exceeding national average by 7+ percent; AZCOM scored 100% for five of these years

COMLEX Part II Board Scores (1998-2007):
99 percent pass rate for first-time test-takers, nearly 9 percent above national average; AZCOM scored 100% for seven of these years

( http://www.midwestern.edu/azcom/ , on Fact Sheet/outcomes)

Who cares about % of first time pass. If you have 100% but 90% of the clas scores 2 points above pass, that isn't something to boast about. I would rather have a class that passes 90-95% and scores 20-30 points above the mean. That that is something to boast about. :thumbup:

for CCOM:
COMLEX Part I Board Scores (1998-2007):
92.3 percent pass rate for first-time test-takers

Here is an email from our dean at AZCOM a few weeks ago:
Congratulations to all those who took COMLEX Level 1 during the May 2006 through April 2007 time frame. AZCOM students once again performed well, achieving a 93.2% first time taker pass rate (national average 88.5%). AZCOM students also passed the exam well with a mean score of 514.26 (national mean score 489.88).

However a few weeks prior to this email we were told by one of clinical ed people that our pass rate was 100%. After getting this email from our dean I assume the 100% means everyone passed, but that the 100% includes people that passed the second time. Gotta love how they "state the facts."

PCOM-GA boasts that they have a 96% first time pass rate.

When I interviewed at KCUMB they mentioned that they not only had a very high pass rate, but overall they were some % above average. At the time that almost sealed the deal for me.

I chose PCOM for a number of reasons, but not b/c of their overall pass rate. When I asked specifically via email noone responded. When I finally talked face-to-face with one of our admissions counselors she said she had no idea - she guessed maybe 90%? I was a little wary about how evasive people were in regards to the info, but now it seems to matter very little to me. I feel like boards studying is mainly a result of the student and their prep - not his/her school.

AZCOM claims they have hit 100% for the majority of the past decade...and that they have a higher than national average COMLEX-I score, not sure about USMLE's though.

And PCOM-GA just took their first boards ever....but 96% is very good, especially considering the relative bugs and such they have had to deal with being a brand new school.

so what are pass rates for each of the osteopathic schools?

It doesnt matter

JayneCobb is working to get rid of the test and convert to the USMLE

Oh...and dont call them "osteopathic schools" anymore. We are now going to be using the term "almostapathic" school...meaning we are almost equal to MDs in our own minds

It doesnt matter

Oh...and dont call them "osteopathic schools" anymore. We are now going to be using the term "almostapathic" school...meaning we are almost equal to MDs in our own minds

:laugh:

so what are pass rates for each of the osteopathic schools? i hear TCOM is high up there, while PCOM doesn't publish their pass rates? Can anyone fill in the blanks

You shouldn't base your medical school decision off of board pass rates. I went to a school that had a "100% board pass rate" and like 10% of MY class failed.

To be honest, I think it matters not what the pass rate for the school is.

Especially, if you are the type that studies the **** on your own anyways and the huge amount of money you shell out is just a conduit for your licensing.

Where did you see this? I know for a fact that my entire class has not taken the COMLEX yet and we are the first class to take it. Where are you getting this # from?

BMW-

PCOM-GA boasts that they have a 96% first time pass rate.

It doesnt matter

Yeah, the word Osteopathic is becoming a dirty one. I remember when I sat on the AOA Board of Osteopathic History and Identity and we were told that Osteopathy, Osteopath, and Osteopathic (by itself) was not to be used unless it was being used in a historical context or in a nostalgic (sp?) manner. We are now Osteopathic Physicians who attend Osteopathic Medical Schools. Now quick, after saying that look down and make sure your's is as long as their's...

I can also see the COMLEX going away real soon because of Premed (ooopps. sorry PreAlmostAllopathicMed) opposition here on SDN. I mean, all of the COMs protesting the COMLEX-PE certainly didn't do any good, but SDN...that's where the real power is at baby.