passed my part 1 NBDE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentgem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
now after hard work of about 3 months and a wait of 20 days i can proudly say that i cleared part 1 ... yeyyyyyy :love::):):thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

thanks demra and nbde4dds
i can share my experience:
i studied for 3 months on a stretch daily for 7-8 hrs ,from first aid , dental decks (2012-13) and all sets of asda papers
believe me you can really clear it , if i can , i passed my bds in 2007 , so all the subjects were like aliens for me .....

on my exam day :
first half : it was damn tough for me , questions were easy but there options were confusing , twisted , i got 4 testlets in this part ,hardly got 2-3 repeats in this section i utilized the last sec of my exam ......... in this section around 50 questions were of which i had no idea i simply guessed them , 50 - 55 questions was confused between two options

second half : this was comparatively easy , got repeats from set k around 11-12 , 3 testlets ,was able to finish this section 1 hr prior to the assigned time. ... again in this section 25 questions were there of which i had no idea, 50 questions i was struggling between two options :oops: :confused:

over all view: in all when i came out i was relieved , ahhhh its over now , was sure only about 190-200 questions , i thought all the subjects were equally distributed , biochemistry got direct questions from cycles , a lot of enzymes, dental anatomy was my strongest subject so i was confident about it , anatomy some of the questions were straight forward like they asked anatomical locations of some organs , a lott of origins questions nerves , ( few were really twisted and confusing ) :confused: in microbiology a few bacteria were there fav asked 4-5 questions on them (never seen those questions before) overall it was confusing :( , patho and physio were like that only

my strategies :
try to have a command on atleast 1-2 subjects , in my case i was confident about my dental anatomy and a little bit of anatomy, use google in even a tiniest doubt.
for anatomy i looked at a lot of diagrams , youtube videos along with the theory , first aid , decks( thoroughly )
dental anatomy - first aid and decks
biochem/physio - first aid and Dr Najeebs videos on youtube and also some other video on topics i was not confident about
pathology /micro - first aid and decks ( little)
ethics - i did the decks only a night before the exam ( try to memorise the definations given )
Hope this could help :)
all the best to all :thumbup: :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i studied for 3 months on a stretch daily for 7-8 hrs ,from first aid , dental decks (2012-13) and all sets of asda papers
believe me you can really clear it , if i can , i passed my bds in 2007 , so all the subjects were like aliens for me .....

on my exam day :
first half : it was damn tough for me , questions were easy but there options were confusing , twisted , i got 4 testlets in this part ,hardly got 2-3 repeats in this section i utilized the last sec of my exam ......... in this section around 50 questions were of which i had no idea i simply guessed them , 50 - 55 questions was confused between two options

second half : this was comparatively easy , got repeats from set k around 11-12 , 3 testlets ,was able to finish this section 1 hr prior to the assigned time. ... again in this section 25 questions were there of which i had no idea, 50 questions i was struggling between two options :oops: :confused:

over all view: in all when i came out i was relieved , ahhhh its over now , was sure only about 190-200 questions , i thought all the subjects were equally distributed , biochemistry got direct questions from cycles , a lot of enzymes, dental anatomy was my strongest subject so i was confident about it , anatomy some of the questions were straight forward like they asked anatomical locations of some organs , a lott of origins questions nerves , ( few were really twisted and confusing ) :confused: in microbiology a few bacteria were there fav asked 4-5 questions on them (never seen those questions before) overall it was confusing :( , patho and physio were like that only

my strategies :
try to have a command on atleast 1-2 subjects , in my case i was confident about my dental anatomy and a little bit of anatomy, use google in even a tiniest doubt.
for anatomy i looked at a lot of diagrams , youtube videos along with the theory , first aid , decks( thoroughly )
biochem/physio - first aid and Dr Najeebs videos on youtube and also some other video on topics i was not confident about
ethics - i did the decks only a night before the exam ( try to memorise the definations given )
Thanks. Dmitriy

hey folks, took my PART ONE and passed, got my results today. It was an extremely difficult TEST . To those of you who are yet to take the test, please dont just read the decks and the first aid, get some more information from your text books.the questions were more medical oriented and they required very fine details . i mean extremely fine details. Don't expect to find straight forward questions. i would say out of the 400 questions only 15 were straight forward. All other questions were twisted . let me explain to you what i meant by twisted. So , a straight forward question would go like this

A///Taste in the anterior 2/3 of the tongue is supplied by which nerve
a) Vagus nerve
b)Maxillary nerve
c)facial nerve
d)CN IX
e)Tensor nerve.
You will not find questions like this anymore. out of the 400 Questions expect to see only 15 which would be this straight forward. this same question would be twisted in this form

B///Parasympathetic special visceral afferent to the tongue distal to the foramen caecum is by

a) the nerve exits the cranium through the petrotympanic fissure
b)the nerve is derived form the same branchial pouch with the ultimobranchial body
c)it is superior and medial to the rathkes pouch in fetal development.
d) it is the main nerve implicated in Horners Syndrome
e)it is not affect by Ouabain in anyway.

Now ,do you see how question A has been twisted in B. You will notice that your knowledge is being tested in all disciplines , though its an anatomy question your are having possible answers coming form other disciplines . Folks ,the test is not a joke now. you really have to read extensively .

Reactions: 1 user
now after hard work of about 3 months and a wait of 20 days i can proudly say that i cleared part 1 ... yeyyyyyy :love::):):thumbup::thumbup:
hey folks, took my PART ONE and passed, got my results today. It was an extremely difficult exam. To those of you who are yet to take the test, please dont just read the decks and the first aid, get some more information form text books.the questions were more medical oriented and they required very fine details . i mean extremely fine details. Don't expect to fine straight forward questions. i would say out of the 400 questions only 15 were straight forward. All other questions were twisted . let me explain to you what i meant by twisted. So , a straight forward question would go like this

a) Vagus nerve
b)Maxillary nerve
c)facial nerve
d)CN IX
e)Tensor nerve.
You will not find questions like this anymore. out of the 400 Questions expect to see only 15 which would be this straight forward. this same question would be twisted in this form

B///Parasympathetic special visceral afferent to the tongue distal to the foramen caecum is by

b)the nerve is derived form the same branchial pouch with the ultimobranchial body

Now ,do you see how question A has been twisted in B. You will notice that your knowledge is been tested in all disciplines , though it an anatomy question your are having possible answers coming form other disciplines . Folks ,the test is not a joke now. you really have to read extensively .

let me know if anyone needs some more advice

Can somebody help me with the materials they are studying from? I am going to be giving my part 1 in december and i feel as if i have not studied enough.
So far i am studying from decks, crack the nbde, and the kaplan book.
Please email at [email protected] if you have any extra material that i can study from.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
hey dentgem ..
i am really curious too knw ..how are ur admission scene progressing ...i have heard with NY shutting down the course ..its become super tough..a lot of ppl are getting calls fr interview bt the they cant get past the interview .. also wat all are u planning to add onto ur profile...i mean u passed in 2007...so wat really are u going to say u were doing all this while.. i am planning to take the exam in may this year...i am super freaked out abt my options ..a lot of my friends gt interview calls and cld nt clear it...

on my exam day :

my strategies :

I want to thank you for taking the time to write all this! Congratulations for such a great effort!

Last edited:
hey dentgem ..
i am really curious too knw ..how are ur admission scene progressing ...i have heard with NY shutting down the course ..its become super tough..a lot of ppl are getting calls fr interview bt the they cant get past the interview .. also wat all are u planning to add onto ur profile...i mean u passed in 2007...so wat really are u going to say u were doing all this while.. i am planning to take the exam in may this year...i am super freaked out abt my options ..a lot of my friends gt interview calls and cld nt clear it...
Hi Sara ,
i didn't applied in this cycle as i didn't had LOR's with me , have to get them from my college
yeah its really hard to answer the question here about what i did after 2007 coz here they don't understand that how getting married and pregnant consumes all yr time :p
well right now i'm preparing for part 2 ,m done with toefl
will look if i get any oppurtunity to shadow someone as universities really look into any exp you got from here and try to get a LOR from a dentist here
we all are in the same boat but its just that you have to follow the steps till you get success , Hope i was helpful

hey dentalgem,
i gave my exam on dec last and waiting for result............am really so scared:((((
how long did it take to prepare for toeffl...............whats ur score................can u share ur experience wth toeffl.......n when r u planning to appear for part 2 ...........................

guys is it worth buying crack the nbde for part 1? also my exam is in a few days! any tips or helpful advice you all could give would be very appreciated!!

hey folks, took my PART ONE and passed, got my results today. It was an extremely difficult exam. To those of you who are yet to take the test, please dont just read the decks and the first aid, get some more information form text books.the questions were more medical oriented and they required very fine details . i mean extremely fine details. Don't expect to fine straight forward questions. i would say out of the 400 questions only 15 were straight forward. All other questions were twisted . let me explain to you what i meant by twisted. So , a straight forward question would go like this

a) Vagus nerve
b)Maxillary nerve
c)facial nerve
d)CN IX
e)Tensor nerve.

Now ,do you see how question A has been twisted in B. You will notice that your knowledge is been tested in all disciplines , though it an anatomy question your are having possible answers coming form other disciplines . Folks ,the test is not a joke now. you really have to read extensively .

let me know if anyone needs some more advice

Just want to say screw this guy lol seriously this is complete B.S. and stuff like this had me way more freaked out than I should have been beforehand. Way more questions are like the first "A" example than the "B" example. I studied for 1 month with just the dental decks and passed. It was NOT easy, but the above is largely exaggerated.

Passed NBDE I. Selling my Dental decks, study notes/materials from my dental school/ and first aid books for NBDE part I. Message me if you're interested!