PhD/PsyD Passenger sues Southwest Airlines claiming PTSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted343839

Passenger Who Survived A Fatal Flight Is Suing Southwest Airlines

I'm curious to hear opinions from those of you involved in forensic work. The incident happened less than two weeks ago. It seems like an extremely quick turnaround to prepare and file a lawsuit, especially when the claim is substantially based on diagnoses that require a sustained period of functional impairment.

Interestingly, the plaintiff has a counseling background. I am sympathetic to an extent, as I'm sure the incident was absolutely terrifying and for many of the passengers may become their most traumatic memory. But the timing of the lawsuit seems ill advised... ?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Passenger Who Survived A Fatal Flight Is Suing Southwest Airlines

I'm curious to hear opinions from those of you involved in forensic work. The incident happened less than two weeks ago. It seems like an extremely quick turnaround to prepare and file a lawsuit, especially when the claim is substantially based on diagnoses that require a sustained period of functional impairment.

Interestingly, the plaintiff has a counseling background. I am sympathetic to an extent, as I'm sure the incident was absolutely terrifying and for many of the passengers may become their most traumatic memory. But the timing of the lawsuit seems ill advised... ?
Can’t meet dsm5 before a month from incident if I recall correctly

Reactions: 6 users
Her lawyer, Bradley J. Stoll, told NPR that Chavez is "a very brilliant, successful woman who in her life has overcome very significant obstacles and is the matriarch of her immediate and extended family. This accident has crippled her will and she is in shock over this horrible, near-death experience."

Chavez has already been through hardship, according to an alumni video posted online. Her mother was killed when she 14 and she raised siblings who passed in and out of jail. She worked as a counselor in an adult college program before eventually receiving a Ph.D.

Am I the only one wondering about premorbid issues?

The lawsuit also names companies that designed, manufactured and sold the engines, including CFM International, GE Aviation and Safran.
Chavez's attorney said the lawsuit is important because what happened could have been prevented. "This is a failure that occurred in the past and the decisions that Southwest and CFM International made will be under scrutiny in this lawsuit. And it affects every person who flies as passengers in commercial aircraft."
It's important for their client to sue multiple entities with deep pockets and get a payday in order to prevent this from happening again? How convenient for the both of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people just seem to have a "Tragedy ---> Payday!" mentality.
That's what this smells like to me...

Reactions: 1 user
Can’t meet dsm5 before a month from incident if I recall correctly

Yep. Although her experience as described in this article would meet Criterion A, it has not been the required 30 days for a dx. I wonder what her specific symptoms are as well and her functional impairment. This is going to be interesting to follow.

Some people just seem to have a "Tragedy ---> Payday!" mentality.

Agreed. I feel awful for her and what she went through, but the timing doesn't sit well with me. If her experience and subsequent symptoms are causing substantial impairment in her life, I am wondering how she was able to file such a major lawsuit including mental health dx so quickly.

Yup, although it technically meets Criterion A there hasn't been enough time for a PTSD diagnosis. Furthermore, most natural recovery from PTSD happens about 3-6 months after the incident. I feel for this person, but IMO it's a bit too early for diagnostic certainty.

Edit: If you read her profile on her university's website, she has a Masters in rehabilitation counseling and has worked as a counselor. I'm assuming then that she knows PTSD criteria. I wonder why she wouldn't have just waited two weeks to file her suit?

Last edited:
Yup, although it technically meets Criterion A there hasn't been enough time for a PTSD diagnosis. Furthermore, most natural recovery from PTSD happens about 3-6 months after the incident. I feel for this person, but IMO it's a bit too early for diagnostic certainty.

Edit: If you read her profile on her university's website, she has a Masters in rehabilitation counseling and has worked as a counselor. I'm assuming then that she knows PTSD criteria. I wonder why she wouldn't have just waited two weeks to file her suit?
Because $$$$

The alumni video linked in that article was interesting to watch. Her mother killed at 14, a sibling who committed suicide, siblings in and out of jail...she's already had a difficult life. Good luck to her attorney trying to prove the flight caused her PTSD when she was already experiencing potentially traumatic events. Her doctorate is in Multicultural and international education, whatever the hell that is...?

The alumni video linked in that article was interesting to watch. Her mother killed at 14, a sibling who committed suicide, siblings in and out of jail...she's already had a difficult life. Good luck to her attorney trying to prove the flight caused her PTSD when she was already experiencing potentially traumatic events. Her doctorate is in Multicultural and international education, whatever the hell that is...?

This is exactly what I was alluding to earlier.

Am I the only one wondering about premorbid issues?

It won't get to trial, most likely. Any attorney would jump at this almost sure chance for a payday as the airline will try to settle out of court with an NDA. Also, the lawyer doesn't even have to argue that this one event caused PTSD, he can argue for exacerbation. There is literature for it, dose response and all that jazz. It's all besides the point though. The legal world doesn't share all that much overlap with the clinical world. Compelling cases matter more than the actual science of things. Just look at the NFL settlement.

Reactions: 4 users