Passing Part I Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackedUp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the NBPME website it states that the score is scaled from 55 to above 75, and that everyone above 75 is passing.

Does anyone have any idea what percentage of questions need to be answered correctly to pass. I understand it is scaled and it changes from year to year, but a ballpark estimate would be nice. 50%? 60%? or 70%?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know and what people are constantly telling me is that around 80-85% of the students taking the test usually pass. Now that seems pretty legit because every year that seems to hold true more or less... so just keep studying and you'll be fine.. so just hope your not in the bottom 20% and you should be fine..

80 to 85 percent pass??? I don't understand, since everyone comes on here and repeats talking points given by their school about how they have a 95% percent pass rate........

Members don't see this ad :)
80 to 85 percent pass??? I don't understand, since everyone comes on here and repeats talking points given by their school about how they have a 95% percent pass rate........

Most likely they're given the step 2 rate. Unless they specifically ask, in which case the rep will probably have an acute bout of amnesia.

Eh there are always some schools that don't post their info, and it is obvious as to why they do not.

its bad to think like this but i hope we have good number students who failed boards in class of 2011. lol the less the merrier. no competition during match.;)

At OCPM last year 19 students failed give or take a couple so it was like 80% of their class passed. No idea how retakers faired. I believe one stat I looked at in an NBPME internal study they did on their own test was saying that around 82% of the nation passes the first time they take it. Very similar to the national performance on the USMLE.

Of course they don't release any info whatsoever about RAW SCORES because I think all the pod schools would be looking for a new test at that point. (Also why the deans of the podiatry schools are not given those stats either.) SO to answer your question OP no one knows what RAW percentage is required to pass except the people juking the stats after all is said and done each year. Highly variable I'm assuming or there would be more transparency.

A roll of the dice.