Passway for Rphs to get licensed in California (NABP, BOP, steps)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


Full Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2017
Reaction score
Hey guys,
What is the process for current pharmacists who want to transfer their license to a different state?
I have been a practicing pharmacist for 8 years and want to get a California Rph license.
Here is my understanding of what steps to take, please correct me if I am wrong:

1) Go on the NAPB website and click on Licensure Transfer (e-LTP), fill the application out and pay transfer fee of $375 (kind of expensive)
2) Contact Ca board of Pharmacy and see if they approve to take the CPJE?

If anybody had an experience with all of this, can you please share the steps you did?

is there a time restriction on how fast you should take the CPJE after this or that step? I am not super ready to take the CPJE now, but Ive heard its a long process to get an approval from NAPB, and CA BOP, so I figured I should start it now, even though I am not ready for the CPJE, am I right?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.
Last edited:
1) yes, first step
2) get your application together for the CA board, all of their requirements and application are on the website. Make sure you read over everything carefully. It wasn't really that difficult or time consuming. They approved my application within ~45 days to schedule my CPJE. Haven't taken that yet though.
i would try to establish some sort of actual job opportunity (which is probably impossible at this point) before even attempting to study/take the dreaded cpje