Paste portions of AMCAS essay into secondary essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salud

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some secondary essays ask questions that I wrote about in my AMCAS essay.

What are people’s thoughts about just pasting the relevant portions of my AMCAS essay into the secondary?

Will admissions look unfavorably at this when they read my AMCAS essay and secondary and find the same information?

Members don't see this ad.

What are people’s thoughts about just pasting the relevant portions of my AMCAS essay into the secondary?

Will admissions look unfavorably at this when they read my AMCAS essay and secondary and find the same information?

that is a SLIPPERY SLOPE.....no pun inteneded........some schools explicitly say "do not repeat what is in amcas"....so be careful!!!!

Do not paste from your AMCAS essay. It will come across as lazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know the temptation is definitely there..
but secondaries supplement what you've already given them, take advantage of it. it's harder to think of new things, but it will just re-emphasize qualities of yourself that you've shared in your ps which can only be good.

good luck!

i don't recommend doing that. secondary essay is kind of like an another chance to tell the adcom other things about you or elaborate more on things that are in your AMCAS.
if you really want to- you should re-word portions of the AMCAS but pasting it would be laziness and redundant for the adcom to read

well, the one for olumbia is screaming copy/paste

Yeah, I completely understand the temptation. I made a huge effort to be comprehensive in my primary application; now all these secondaries are asking for similar information. Frustrating to be sure, but worth it if you want to attend their school.

But no matter what, though, I'd recommend that you spell it out for them in a novel way; don't C&P from your PS (which they will most certainly have read), or even reword. As others have said, it tells them that you aren't willing to put in the work, which can come off as you not being interested in their school; this is most certainly unfavorable. Look at it as a test of your creativity, discipline and patience. The more distinctive stuff you can tell them about yourself, the better.

well, the one for olumbia is screaming copy/paste

"Explain the satisfaction(s) you expect to obtain from a career as a physician"

Yes, that was a fun secondary to write, although I don't see how it screams copy/paste. Also, if I remember correctly it's not supposed to be too long (maybe it was about 1500 characters?).
I actually thought that was an excellent question, since an immature answer will shine right through.

nono, i meant the other questions
oops

i didn't read the op's question properly
he was asking about "essays"