pathetic Step 1 scores..now what

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dorkess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI! I've recently taken Step 1 and ending up with really bad scores (198=81) What are my options at this point? I had very much wanted to go intoradio and did a radio elective in UCSF..should I just take a step back and focus on a less comepetitive fiedl like IM? which programmes should I be looking at for residency application and which state? Are my scores even good enought to be considered for IM? I'll be a green card holder at time when applying for residency if that's a little help..Should I take a year out after grad to do research? Please advise me..

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't apply into radiology, your chance of matching is exactly 0.0. If you do apply, however, your chance is [considerably] higher.

Now.........how much higher your chances will depend on what you do from here on out. As of now, Step I is merely a bad memory and, since it cannot be retaken or erased, you have to focus on other aspects of your application that will make you stand out in a positive way.

In terms of off-setting your Step I score, you can do well and improve drastically on the Step II. This can not only largely negate your Step I score, it can actually accentuate your application by showing you can overcome challenges/obstacles, etc. Be sure to study your ass off for it and take it early enough so that it can be on your ERAS application when you initially officially apply to programs. Doing well on your third year and fourth year rotations is also crucial in relaying your medical knowledge, among other things.

In terms of your overall application, you know that it is also important to be a well-rounded individual and you can show this by involvement in extracurriculars, obtaining great letters of recommendation, getting involved in research (I do NOT think taking a year off to do research is advisable at this point), taking leadership roles within the school, etc.

And good luck. Your elective at UCSF may open more doors for you than you realize.

(I do NOT think taking a year off to do research is advisable at this point),

Why wouldn't that be advisable???

Members don't see this ad :)
bigfrank said:
If you don't apply into radiology, your chance of matching is exactly 0.0. If you do apply, however, your chance is [considerably] higher.

Now.........how much higher your chances will depend on what you do from here on out. As of now, Step I is merely a bad memory and, since it cannot be retaken or erased, you have to focus on other aspects of your application that will make you stand out in a positive way.

In terms of off-setting your Step I score, you can do well and improve drastically on the Step II. This can not only largely negate your Step I score, it can actually accentuate your application by showing you can overcome challenges/obstacles, etc. Be sure to study your ass off for it and take it early enough so that it can be on your ERAS application when you initially officially apply to programs. Doing well on your third year and fourth year rotations is also crucial in relaying your medical knowledge, among other things.

In terms of your overall application, you know that it is also important to be a well-rounded individual and you can show this by involvement in extracurriculars, obtaining great letters of recommendation, getting involved in research (I do NOT think taking a year off to do research is advisable at this point), taking leadership roles within the school, etc.

And good luck. Your elective at UCSF may open more doors for you than you realize.

All good points. Unfortunately, many program directors use Step I (not II) score as a screening device. They may not ever see the stellar Step II score int he setting of a low Step I. However, all is not lost. I have several suggestions.

1. Rethink and reexamine the specialty choice. It's not the only job in the world. Anesthesiologists do extremely well. Pathologists do very well. PM&R people clean up nicely. Etc.

2. Realize radiology is getting less and less competitive, so if there is no success now, there WILL be success later.

3. Apply widely and network, pull al the strings. This helps. Ask around on this forum - maybe someone can help.

dorkess said:
HI! I've recently taken Step 1 and ending up with really bad scores (198=81) What are my options at this point? I had very much wanted to go intoradio and did a radio elective in UCSF..should I just take a step back and focus on a less comepetitive fiedl like IM? which programmes should I be looking at for residency application and which state? Are my scores even good enought to be considered for IM? I'll be a green card holder at time when applying for residency if that's a little help..Should I take a year out after grad to do research? Please advise me..

See the legendary post by Gamecock, found on the auntminnie.com discussion forum:

I am fairly confident that I may have the lowest stats of a matched radiology applicant in the country, but I probably worked harder than most, and the fact is that if you want it bad enough, you can usually get it. I am listing my experience to help someone who may have low stats but wants to do radiology.
Personal: White Male
Step 1: 198
Step 2: 214
GPA: 3.0 at the Medical University of South Carolina
Research: 1publication, and 2 case studies to be published
Past Experience: Was a phyical therapist for 4 years, managed a physical therapy clinic
Volunteer Experience: Tons!! mission trips, etc., vice president of radiology interest group
Number of Applications: 72: nearly every non top tier program on the east coast
Away Radiology Rotations: 5!!! (I did one month at the University of South Alabama, 2 weeks at U of Kentucky, 2 Weeks at UT Knoxville, 2 wks at Memorial in Savannah, 2 weeks at Baptist in Memphis) I spent 2 vacation months doing these rotations without getting credit. I also did a month of rads at MUSC--got honors, but not even an interview at MUSC b/c their cutoff is 220!
Interviews: I was only offered 3 legitimate interviews (U of Flordia/Jacksonville, UT/Methodist in Memphis, and St. Raphael's in New Haven, CT) but I also got 5 interviews from the places that I did rotations and I called ALL 72 programs atleast 3 times each stating that I was going to be in their area and that I was interested in their program and would love an interview...a few told me yes immediatley, most took atleast 2 calls...often after they said no or wait the 1st time, and some took 3 calls before they said yes. I ended up with a total of 21 interviews!!! I always just spoke with the program coordinator and she would either give me the answer or ask the program director and call me back. If I heard "no" 3 times I quit calling. I started calling in about Oct/Nov and usually would wait atleast 3 weeks in between calls so I "drummed up" interivews until early January.
Playing the Game: I went to every interview I was offered with a decent reason of why I wanted to go to their program. I wrote thank you letters immediatley on how impressed I was with their program and sent out letters in January to all the programs telling them how happy I would be to go to their program. I did 3 "second visits"....I was asked to do one of the second visists. I called all of the programs in late January telling them how happy I would be at their program.
Final Rank List:
1. Savannah (did a 2nd visit)
2. Baptist in Memphis
3. South Florida
4. Kentucky
5. UT Knoxville
6. U of Florida/Jacksonville (asked to and did a 2nd visit)
7. UT/Methodist in Memphis
8. St. Raphael's in New Haven, CT
9. Geissinger in Danville, PA
10. Southern Illinois
11. Winthrop in Mineola, NY (did a 2nd visit)
12. Hartford, CT
13. South Alabama
14. Western Penn in Pittsburgh
15. Bryn Mayr, PA
16. Drexel
17. Morristown, NJ
18. St. Vincents, Long Island
19. St. Vincents, Manhatten
20. Monmouth in Long Branch, NJ
21. Harlem, NY
So my story will hopefully inspire someone with poor grades/boards to try for rads if thats what they want. I believe that prayer, hard work, a little luck and maybe a down year in radiology helped me. If anyone has any questions, just email me: [email protected]

Holy Mackerel! Gamecock is a gunner like none other!

DHMO said:
See the legendary post by Gamecock, found on the auntminnie.com discussion forum:

I am fairly confident that I may have the lowest stats of a matched radiology applicant in the country, but I probably worked harder than most, and the fact is that if you want it bad enough, you can usually get it. I am listing my experience to help someone who may have low stats but wants to do radiology.
Personal: White Male
Step 1: 198
Step 2: 214
GPA: 3.0 at the Medical University of South Carolina
Research: 1publication, and 2 case studies to be published
Past Experience: Was a phyical therapist for 4 years, managed a physical therapy clinic
Volunteer Experience: Tons!! mission trips, etc., vice president of radiology interest group
Number of Applications: 72: nearly every non top tier program on the east coast
Away Radiology Rotations: 5!!! (I did one month at the University of South Alabama, 2 weeks at U of Kentucky, 2 Weeks at UT Knoxville, 2 wks at Memorial in Savannah, 2 weeks at Baptist in Memphis) I spent 2 vacation months doing these rotations without getting credit. I also did a month of rads at MUSC--got honors, but not even an interview at MUSC b/c their cutoff is 220!
Interviews: I was only offered 3 legitimate interviews (U of Flordia/Jacksonville, UT/Methodist in Memphis, and St. Raphael's in New Haven, CT) but I also got 5 interviews from the places that I did rotations and I called ALL 72 programs atleast 3 times each stating that I was going to be in their area and that I was interested in their program and would love an interview...a few told me yes immediatley, most took atleast 2 calls...often after they said no or wait the 1st time, and some took 3 calls before they said yes. I ended up with a total of 21 interviews!!! I always just spoke with the program coordinator and she would either give me the answer or ask the program director and call me back. If I heard "no" 3 times I quit calling. I started calling in about Oct/Nov and usually would wait atleast 3 weeks in between calls so I "drummed up" interivews until early January.
Playing the Game: I went to every interview I was offered with a decent reason of why I wanted to go to their program. I wrote thank you letters immediatley on how impressed I was with their program and sent out letters in January to all the programs telling them how happy I would be to go to their program. I did 3 "second visits"....I was asked to do one of the second visists. I called all of the programs in late January telling them how happy I would be at their program.
Final Rank List:
1. Savannah (did a 2nd visit)
2. Baptist in Memphis
3. South Florida
4. Kentucky
5. UT Knoxville
6. U of Florida/Jacksonville (asked to and did a 2nd visit)
7. UT/Methodist in Memphis
8. St. Raphael's in New Haven, CT
9. Geissinger in Danville, PA
10. Southern Illinois
11. Winthrop in Mineola, NY (did a 2nd visit)
12. Hartford, CT
13. South Alabama
14. Western Penn in Pittsburgh
15. Bryn Mayr, PA
16. Drexel
17. Morristown, NJ
18. St. Vincents, Long Island
19. St. Vincents, Manhatten
20. Monmouth in Long Branch, NJ
21. Harlem, NY
So my story will hopefully inspire someone with poor grades/boards to try for rads if thats what they want. I believe that prayer, hard work, a little luck and maybe a down year in radiology helped me. If anyone has any questions, just email me: [email protected]

I was in the same boat as Gamecock, but I DID NOT match in Radiology. However, I didn't have any research experience.

Similarly, I called programs to tell them I was interested in their program for interviews but it didn't make one difference for me. All it did was run up my cell phone minutes. Some programs I called about 4-5 times over a 3 month period. The coordinators kept saying that this year's class is tough, or if there is an opening we will get back to you. In the end, I only had 4 radiology interviews. Baptist, South Alabama, Wayne State, and Arkansas (my wife's family lives in Ark). In my opinion, it is all about numbers and research to get interviews. Not just persistence.

I hate to say it but if you scored below a 210 and are in the bottom half of your class, you BETTER have some radiology research. It is a hugh uphill battle. It is not impossible, but tough. Therefore, I'm going to do a year of research to increase my chances of radiology. I'm realistic. My only chances are in community programs. I could have applied for a nuclear medicine position and would have likely matched, but a 3 year detour is a long commitment.

For the 2nd and 1st years out there. If you can do some radiology research it has a chance to pay off like it did for gamecock. Unfortunately for me, I learned this valuable lesson too late by making the mistake firsthand.

OneStrongBro said:
I was in the same boat as Gamecock, but I DID NOT match in Radiology. However, I didn't have any research experience.

Similarly, I called programs to tell them I was interested in their program for interviews but it didn't make one difference for me. All it did was run up my cell phone minutes. Some programs I called about 4-5 times over a 3 month period. The coordinators kept saying that this year's class is tough, or if there is an opening we will get back to you. In the end, I only had 4 radiology interviews. Baptist, South Alabama, Wayne State, and Arkansas (my wife's family lives in Ark). In my opinion, it is all about numbers and research to get interviews. Not just persistence.

I hate to say it but if you scored below a 210 and are in the bottom half of your class, you BETTER have some radiology research. It is a hugh uphill battle. It is not impossible, but tough. Therefore, I'm going to do a year of research to increase my chances of radiology. I'm realistic. My only chances are in community programs. I could have applied for a nuclear medicine position and would have likely matched, but a 3 year detour is a long commitment.

For the 2nd and 1st years out there. If you can do some radiology research it has a chance to pay off like it did for gamecock. Unfortunately for me, I learned this valuable lesson too late by making the mistake firsthand.

Hey Bro-

Sorry to hear that...keep trying man. So are you reapplying for the 2008 match? Did u match into a prelim/transitional year?

Can't you do one year in a transitional or in a preliminary program and apply again for the match the following year (the year after completing your prelim/ transitional) while doing some research after completion of the PY/TY. So, you would have one year of a transitional/preliminary and several months of research under your belt when u apply.

Not sure how programs view having one year of a transitional/prelim year versus an entire year of research?

-Good Luck