Pathology Residency in Switzerland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soniaFM

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I am planning to move to Switzerland.
Is pathology residency accessible for foreign doctors in Switzerland ? Is it a friendly speciality? Are there other specialities in the same field (medical/biology) where my application have some chances to be accepted?

Sorry if I make some mistakes, English is my third langage and I am currently also learning German.

Members don't see this ad.

Let me know what you find out. I want to move to Switzerland and be a pathologist there.

Let me know what you find out. I want to move to Switzerland and be a pathologist there.
You too. I asked a doctor who works there, she told me that internal (general medicine) is in demand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im always confused by posts which clearly no one on SDN could answer off the top of their heads but yet is easily Google'd....

Switzerland is notoriously difficult for getting license which is based on which canton you want to work in.

"Learning German" isnt even remotely sufficient as you have to take a rigorous language test to even be considered.

Try "I have mastered German and French in spoken, written and scientific notation" and wish to be considered. That isnt listening to Rosetta Stone for 10 hrs a week or even majoring in German literature in college.

Also if you peruse the physicians banned in Switzerland they mostly have one thing in common: a certain religious ethnic background I wont specify so if that encompasses your profile it will be even a more epic hurdle.

Pathology has nothing to do with it, Switzerland is not accessible for foreigners period unless you are uber wealthy. At least not for the last several centuries.

Not to be harsh but this is really a "if you have to ask you how to get a position, you likely wont get a position" situation.

Reactions: 3 users
Also if you peruse the physicians banned in Switzerland they mostly have one thing in common: a certain religious ethnic background I wont specify so if that encompasses your profile it will be even a more epic hurdle
Are you referring to physicians banned from obtaining a medical license based on their origin? Or, banned while already practicing in Switzerland, and they had a common background? I assume the former because the OP is trying to get into Switzerland.

All I could find was the following report which states that one-quarter of doctors in Switzerland are foreign. However, most of them already originate from the EU and the #1 country of origin is Germany. Swiss parliament votes down a proposal to permanently ban the new admission of doctors.

Couldn't find anything to "peruse" about medical doctors banned in Switzerland regarding a common ethnicity or religion...:unsure: Link?

Im always confused by posts which clearly no one on SDN could answer off the top of their heads but yet is easily Google'd....

Switzerland is notoriously difficult for getting license which is based on which canton you want to work in.

"Learning German" isnt even remotely sufficient as you have to take a rigorous language test to even be considered.

Try "I have mastered German and French in spoken, written and scientific notation" and wish to be considered. That isnt listening to Rosetta Stone for 10 hrs a week or even majoring in German literature in college.

Also if you peruse the physicians banned in Switzerland they mostly have one thing in common: a certain religious ethnic background I wont specify so if that encompasses your profile it will be even a more epic hurdle.

Pathology has nothing to do with it, Switzerland is not accessible for foreigners period unless you are uber wealthy. At least not for the last several centuries.

Not to be harsh but this is really a "if you have to ask you how to get a position, you likely wont get a position" situation.

Depending where you are in Switzerland, toss in Italian and Romansh as language requirements. Although Romansh is just a kicker spoken by a remote minority. But, with English, German, French and Italian you are cool.

Hello.
Thanks for you “response”.
First, I have Googled it many times and even asked 2 doctors working there but I didn’t found the informations that I need.
So, yes it’s not very commun to non-EU to be accepted BUT I have never heard about what you have mentioned before.
If the doctor is competent and have a strong background, self confidence (and can speak French, german and English or italian), then there are “chances” to him to find a training. So, what you have stated won’t help me and I won’t be discouraged neither. I am asking for a certain “probability” to get into the residency training that I am seeking for.

Hello.
Thanks for you “response”.
First, I have Googled it many times and even asked 2 doctors working there but I didn’t found the informations that I need.
So, yes it’s not very commun to non-EU to be accepted BUT I have never heard about what you have mentioned before.
If the doctor is competent and have a strong background, self confidence (and can speak French, german and English or italian), then there are “chances” to him to find a training. So, what you have stated won’t help me and I won’t be discouraged neither. I am asking for a certain “probability” to get into the residency training that I am seeking for.

Your probability is 7.38%. LA did not know you needed the number.

Well, I would suggest that you response to LA was a little snarky with the “quotes” bit when you “thanked“ him for his “response “. Give some, get some. I wasn’t being rude. I was being snarky.