Pathology Residency Interview Invite Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tapatio4life

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Step1: 242, no honors except neuropath (elective), not AOA, 2 pubs
Interview invites so far: Uni. of Miami & Uni. of Minnesota

Members don't see this ad.

if I may ask, when did you receive the interview invite?

Reactions: 1 user
if I may ask, when did you receive the interview invite?
Yesterday Sept. 15th around 1PM. I submitted app Sept. 14th at 11:45PM so I think the interview invite is reflex, i.e., they didn't actually read the app but rather it is an algorithmic invite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday Sept. 15th around 1PM. I submitted app Sept. 14th at 11:45PM so I think the interview invite is reflex, i.e., they didn't actually read the app but rather it is an algorithmic invite.
Congrats!!!!

So, there are some places that are quickly looking at applications and getting back to promising candidates early. I look favorably on such programs. The lacksadasical programs dilly-dally and get to the applications whenever they get around to it. I would consider University of Miami and University of Minnesota good prospects from that perspective alone. I heard back from the University of Colorado already, so I would put that institution higher on my list simply because they got back to me quickly.

Invites to UNC (9/16), Iowa (9/17), and Duke (9/17) thus far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step1: 240s, no honors except neuropath (elective), not AOA, 2 pubs
Interview invites so far:
Uni. of Miami
Uni. of Minnesota
WASH U (St. Louis)
Northwestern (Chicago)
Uni. Colorado
Uni. of Fl (Gainesville)

So, there are some places that are quickly looking at applications and getting back to promising candidates early. I look favorably on such programs. The lacksadasical programs dilly-dally and get to the applications whenever they get around to it. I would consider University of Miami and University of Minnesota good prospects from that perspective alone. I heard back from the University of Colorado already, so I would put that institution higher on my list simply because they got back to me quickly.

Why would you think programs who use a computer to make a cutoff and automatically send invites are better than ones who take a bit longer (prob to actually read the application other than scores)? Stats don’t mean crap on interview day. You will meet a bunch of freaks on interview day who prob made it purely on a set step score level that automatically gets an invite. There is no correlation what so ever between how good a program is and how fast they send invites out.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all, we path applicants on reddit started putting together a spreadsheet of applicant stats, interview dates, and program details. Same idea as I've seen here on SDN - get a sense of whether people with similar stats are or aren't getting interviews yet, have details on interview dates to better plan our interview schedules, and eventually share details of our interview experiences. We'd love to have more applicants join in! Head over to the medical school subreddit, click on the ERAS/Match thread tagged at the top, and then you should be able to find a link to the spreadsheets for all specialties, including path. (SDN won't let me post links.)

Reactions: 1 users
For the DOs
COMLEX only. Both scores between 600-650
Invites :
Medical College Georgia
MUSC
Wash U
Virginia Commonwealth University
Univ of Arkansas
Brookwood Baptist in AL

Reactions: 1 users
For the DOs
Invites :
Medical College Georgia
MUSC
Wash U
Univ of Arkansas
Brookwood Baptist in AL

Also no publications to speak of. But some interesting volunteer experience abroad.
Also add university of Kentucky.

U Miami? Is it same as Jackson Memorial Hospital/Jackson Health System Program
I am an IMG. Nope. No Interview for me yet. applied to 35 programs.
Yes University of Miami Miller school of medicine => Jack Memorial Hospital. The hospital is located adjacent to the Medical School.

Why would you think programs who use a computer to make a cutoff and automatically send invites are better than ones who take a bit longer (prob to actually read the application other than scores)? Stats don’t mean crap on interview day. You will meet a bunch of freaks on interview day who prob made it purely on a set step score level that automatically gets an invite. There is no correlation what so ever between how good a program is and how fast they send invites out.
You are right, but it tells me something about how important the residency program is to the department when I hear back sooner rather than later from an institution. That being said, I do not argue your essential point.

Hey all, we path applicants on reddit started putting together a spreadsheet of applicant stats, interview dates, and program details. Same idea as I've seen here on SDN - get a sense of whether people with similar stats are or aren't getting interviews yet, have details on interview dates to better plan our interview schedules, and eventually share details of our interview experiences. We'd love to have more applicants join in! Head over to the medical school subreddit, click on the ERAS/Match thread tagged at the top, and then you should be able to find a link to the spreadsheets for all specialties, including path. (SDN won't let me post links.)
I just went over to the spreadsheet and see that no one has added anything to it yet. Am I seeing that correctly?

Hi! I'm an IMG
Sent my application on Tuesday 9/18
Step 1 259
Step 2 CK 255
Step 2 CS passed 1st attempt
Step 3 229
1 year of research at Baylor college of medicine
1 publication
Applied to 90 programs
Interviews:
9/20 MetroHealth Medical Center

Jeez! You guys are applying to pathology residency, not NASA.

Reactions: 3 users
I just went over to the spreadsheet and see that no one has added anything to it yet. Am I seeing that correctly?
Not sure why things are missing on your view. We have stats from 21 applicants and interview dates from a couple dozen programs. The program details section could definitely use some additions, though

Not sure why things are missing on your view. We have stats from 21 applicants and interview dates from a couple dozen programs. The program details section could definitely use some additions, though
Oh, sorry, I wasn't paying attention to the tabs at the bottom of the page. Thanks!

Hi! I'm an IMG
Sent my application on Tuesday 9/18
Step 1 259
Step 2 CK 255
Step 2 CS passed 1st attempt
Step 3 229
1 year of research at Baylor college of medicine
1 publication
Applied to 90 programs
Interviews:
9/20 MetroHealth Medical Center
Impressive! Where are you from?

For the DOs
Invites :
Medical College Georgia
MUSC
Wash U
Univ of Arkansas
Brookwood Baptist in AL
Are you applying to programs in your region, based on school location or where you want to practice? Thanks.

For the DOs
Invites :
Medical College Georgia
MUSC
Wash U
Univ of Arkansas
Brookwood Baptist in AL

This is an actual residency program...??? What's next, a reference lab out of Texarkana, AR. No wonder our field is oversaturated...

Interview invitations so far:

9/20 MetroHealth Medical Center - Cleveland, Ohio (Dates offered: 10/4, 10/8, 11/1, 11/5, 11/15)
9/21 Sidney Kimmel Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (10/30, 11/1, 11/6, 11/8, 11/13, 11/15, 11/20)
9/21 Mount Sinai Medical Center - Miami Beach, Florida (10/25+26,30+31; 11/1+2,6+7,13+14,15+16,27+28,29+30; 12/4+5,12/6+7,11+12, 13+14)
9/24 University of Iowa (10/15, 11/16, 11/30, 12/3)
9/24 Allegheny General Hospital - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (10/29; 11/2,9,12,16,30; 12/3,7,10,14; 01/7,11,14,18)
9/25 Cleveland Clinic Foundation - Cleveland, Ohio (10/29, 11/5,7,14,16,19,21,26; 12/5,12,14; 01/4,9)

I hope this is helpful for IMGs!

Something I did to increase my chances of getting interview invitations was to look for Venezuelans doing Pathology in the US. I gave my CV and AAMC ID and asked if they could recommend me with their program director.

Also, a frequent question during interviews is "Do you know someone in this program?" (at least for IMGs). If you try to contact residents from your home country before going to the interview they can give you information about the program, helpful tips for the interview day and a place to stay, or at least Venezuelans do!

Good luck!

Are you applying to programs in your region, based on school location or where you want to practice? Thanks.

Mostly region and where I want to practice both. Staying in the SE and maybe some in the SW. I can’t do snow.

I can guess. The Boston area is an extremely expensive area with miserable
weather and a crumbling infrastructure. It’s just as easy to get your training
in a place like FL or CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.