Pathology Residency Interview Invite Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can guess. The Boston area is an extremely expensive area with miserable
weather and a crumbling infrastructure. It’s just as easy to get your training
in a place like FL or CA.

Expensive to live as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought huge academic hospitals were cool when I was young and that
is where lots and lots of the training goes on. But give me a 180 bed
general community hospital of my own outside of academia any Day!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought huge academic hospitals were cool when I was young and that
is where lots and lots of the training goes on. But give me a 180 bed
general community hospital of my own outside of academia any Day!
Completely agree. There is abundant waste in academic centers and
Expensive to live as well.
SOCAL and NORCAL are way overrated. Makes no sense to waste years living and training there. You will NEVER be out of debt on a physicians salary trying to pay back Med school loans, buy a house, plan for someday retiring..... pretty much impossible if you really carefully look into and plan. But so many trainees want to move and live out West. Good luck out there and try to plan. You have sacrificed a lot to train for many years. Unless you are an IMG that has zero debt plan well or you’ll regret it.

Anyone knows when do programs stop sending invites? It's mid October, do you think there are more invites coming? Or will they send an invite just in case someone cancels?

I tried to find a last year's spreadsheet on reddit but without luck.

I can guess. The Boston area is an extremely expensive area with miserable
weather and a crumbling infrastructure. It’s just as easy to get your training
in a place like FL or CA.

I would argue summer in FL is just as miserable as winter in Boston, but to each his own.

Anyone knows when do programs stop sending invites? It's mid October, do you think there are more invites coming? Or will they send an invite just in case someone cancels?
My sense is that if by now if you didn't get an invite, it is very unlikely that you will. Not impossible, but very unlikely. I mean, most of the programs seemed to have filled up the majority of their interview slots BEFORE the Dean's Letter came out, but now that the Dean's Letter has been out for two weeks , the chances of an applicant getting one at this point is quite slim.

Are there any other IMGs that have gotten invites? If so, where? Thanks in advance!

My sense is that if by now if you didn't get an invite, it is very unlikely that you will. Not impossible, but very unlikely. I mean, most of the programs seemed to have filled up the majority of their interview slots BEFORE the Dean's Letter came out, but now that the Dean's Letter has been out for two weeks , the chances of an applicant getting one at this point is quite slim.

Yes, I was thinking the same. But then I saw some programs had sent out invites today - UCLA, UCSD, Emory, Drexel.. I still have some hope left to hear from a program or two.

OK. I’ve kinda followed this thread a bit. You need to do whatever it takes to get a
residency SOMEPLACE. 75% of the 4 yr program is self taught and lots of places don’t even really have jack s*** planned for your 2 years of clin path.
If path is what you want get off your a**, get off these boards and get to work.
even if it’s real inconvenient and costs you several “wasted” years.

OK. I’ve kinda followed this thread a bit. You need to do whatever it takes to get a
residency SOMEPLACE. 75% of the 4 yr program is self taught and lots of places don’t even really have jack s*** planned for your 2 years of clin path.
If path is what you want get off your a**, get off these boards and get to work.
even if it’s real inconvenient and costs you several “wasted” years.

I certainly agree that the vast majority of the program is self-taught.. Do you think that the name of the program we trained at matters when it comes to getting a job? Also, what is more important in terms of finding a good job - residency or fellowship?

Just my opinion, but we really were not concerned where folks did residency. Fellowships were quite uncommon in my pp hiring days but “names” never impressed us/me.

HOWEVER, we put tremendous stock in independent, post trainee
experience. So, we were not heavily focused on folks coming directly out of. training. We let someone else give them their chops. Harsh? Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.