pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eur

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,
I am starting pathology now and was wondering can BRS and Rapid Review be used as primary book sources ?Can one score highly on the step 1 too with these two , or does one really need to invest in the massive Robbins?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I certainly hope so, as I've only read 2 or 3 chapters out of big Robbins and am scoring quite well in the class. For what it's worth, I think the new edition of Rapid Review is a better choice for a primary source than BRS. You should still probably supplement with a collection of path slides to get the morphologies down--I would recommend the Webpath site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ,
I am starting pathology now and was wondering can BRS and Rapid Review be used as primary book sources ?Can one score highly on the step 1 too with these two , or does one really need to invest in the massive Robbins?
thanks

BRS is generally not as in depth as your lectures will be. I haven't used BRS for path, but I know people who do. They use it more to supplement the lectures than to study directly from. I use Pocket Robbins, and love it.

I bought big Robbins off e-bay for $80 and I'm glad I did. I can't say whether it'll help you on the Step 1 or not, since I've only just started path too, but I've heard from everyone I've asked that it's the one book they're glad they bought during first year. So far it has also been, while a little bit verbose (and occasionally repetitive), extremely easy to follow and organized.

I bought both big Robbins and BRS path, and I rarely use the big Robbins. It's just way too detailed. The flip side is BRS is too superficial. So I really don't know a book that's got a balance. maybe rapid review or pocket robbins... haven't looked through them though..

I was being really good about reading big robbins in the beginning of my course. Now (in addition to my course notes) I use Golijan, BRS, Robbins Review of Path and webpath and it has served me quite well.

Read the big Robbins and work through the Robbins Review of Path book. Yes, there is time to do this. If you stick to it there will be very few Q's from your school exams that you cannot answer or at least easily narrow down.

I did not use my big Robbins at all - if anyone is wanted one pm me and I can sell you mine.

I used the BRS flashcards for the boards and found them pretty helpful. My boyfriend used Rapid Review and rocked the boards. In hindsight I should have bought Rapid Review instead of trying to read out of his copy during the 5 minutes he wasn't studying it.