Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vette2k10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, quick question. Is rapid review path sufficient for pathology class or would getting robin's be the way to go for second year. This is for class btw not boards. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on you.

Do you want to learn the "why" and the mechanisms of disease in a detailed yet comprehensive manner? Then pick up medium Robbins.

Or do you just want the big picture while still learning the key mechanisms of diseases? Then go with Goljan.

hey guys, quick question. Is rapid review path sufficient for pathology class or would getting robin's be the way to go for second year. This is for class btw not boards. thanks

After the first 10 or so chapters of Robbins ("General Pathology") then you are good to go with Rapid Review. If you don't have a good foundation you're going to be missing out on a lot of RR.

Members don't see this ad :)

You may not have to get robin's if your school has a subscription on mdconsults.com. BRS pathology isn't bad either.

I just have two questions ,

When i was studying physiology .. My heart fell totally with "BRS physiology" and then little bit later on i came across "Costanzo physiology" and that made my life alot easier.

My questions are :

1. How is "BRS pathology" Compared to "BRS physiology" ?

2. Is there any pathology book that have the same style as "Costanzo physiology" ?

Thanks.

I just have two questions ,

When i was studying physiology .. My heart fell totally with "BRS physiology" and then little bit later on i came across "Costanzo physiology" and that made my life alot easier.

My questions are :

1. How is "BRS pathology" Compared to "BRS physiology" ?

2. Is there any pathology book that have the same style as "Costanzo physiology" ?

Thanks.

1. BRS Path is also very good, but probably not as good as BRS Phys. BRS Path is really just a list of bullet points you need to memorize, but has less in the way of explanations for why diseases do what they do.

2. Never read it.

people don't usually stick up for big Robbins, but i will. it's required reading here and i think it's totally worth it. too big for board review, obviously - but you can come back to it for reference and the answers are in there, with all the gory details. am i going to remember all 1,500 pages? of course not. am i learning the principles right the first time? hellz to the yes.

we're systems-based here, so dunno if it would be as valuable for first-pass if you were just reading it for a path course.

people don't usually stick up for big Robbins, but i will. it's required reading here and i think it's totally worth it. too big for board review, obviously - but you can come back to it for reference and the answers are in there, with all the gory details. am i going to remember all 1,500 pages? of course not. am i learning the principles right the first time? hellz to the yes.

we're systems-based here, so dunno if it would be as valuable for first-pass if you were just reading it for a path course.

I know someone who actually STUDIES (not just reads) from Robbins. They be crazy. But I agree just reading it isn't that detrimental.

Depends on you.

Do you want to learn the "why" and the mechanisms of disease in a detailed yet comprehensive manner? Then pick up medium Robbins.

Or do you just want the big picture while still learning the key mechanisms of diseases? Then go with Goljan.

Agree with this, exception being that I'm a big Goljan fan and use what he says with my lectures and FA to try and make sure I still have the "why" part down. Works fairly well for me.

Agree with this, exception being that I'm a big Goljan fan and use what he says with my lectures and FA to try and make sure I still have the "why" part down. Works fairly well for me.

This is true. Especially if you combine the Goljan audio because sometimes hearing how a certain mechanism works is retained better than reading it.

You should try reading Robbins first. So you can just stick to rapid review during Step 1 prep.