Pathoma - too little ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a subscription of Pathoma and blasted through it in a week.

I found that it is fairly superficial. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Pathoma is probably missing out quite a bit of info ?

I like the way he tries to help us understand stuff by drawing and all.. but it just felt really superficial..

Members don't see this ad.

It gives u a basic outline. From there you gotta take it forward yourself.
Yes, it is fairly superficial for shelf but probably enough for step..

Reactions: 1 user
First Aid and Pathoma cover about 80-85% of the pathology you'll see on Step 1. Pathoma is good to:

1. Learn the information and main concepts very well the first time
2. Cover the high yield facts for boards

It covers a lot of the nitty gritty details that can be on Step 1, but not all of them.

It's good to Pathoma videos and annotate/take notes, and then read that pertinent chapter a couple more times. Once you have that fund of knowledge, then you can transition to a book like Goljan, a much more detailed book that goes in depth. Don't stress on memorizing every detail in Goljan, but try to at least get exposed to all the details and understand what's going on. You will 100% see questions on Step 1 that aren't found in FA and Pathoma but that are found in Goljan/Robbins.

Some people prefer to use Robbins as their more detailed text. And that's also fine. I like Goljan better b/c it's not as dense as Robbins. So to summarize, use Pathoma as your basic fund of knowledge, and then read a more detailed book like Goljan/Robbins to cover all the testable details for Step 1 as you're learning it during the school year.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I'm doing is starting with Pathoma, and annotating everything Dr. Sattar has written or says into the corresponding RR chapter if its not already there (if its already written in RR then I just underline it). That way I have both resources in one place and I can just skim through the RR chapters just reading the 'Pathoma relevant' content if I want to, but I have everything right there if I want more detail.

Before every block I watch/read pathoma and think it's light on details/diseases. I revisit it right before my block exams and I'm always surprised at just how much information it contains. I still live by goljan and UTD, but deep down I know that FA+ pathoma is enough.

Reactions: 2 users
When learning the info for the first time in class, good to combine Pathoma with a more detailed book like Goljan. When you're in dedicated study period, there's just too much info to learn in a short amount of time, and you should really focus on nailing down FA/UW/Pathoma pathology.

I will personally be using more than just pathoma, although I think its a great resource

First Aid and Pathoma cover about 80-85% of the pathology you'll see on Step 1. Pathoma is good to:

1. Learn the information and main concepts very well the first time
2. Cover the high yield facts for boards

It covers a lot of the nitty gritty details that can be on Step 1, but not all of them.

It's good to Pathoma videos and annotate/take notes, and then read that pertinent chapter a couple more times. Once you have that fund of knowledge, then you can transition to a book like Goljan, a much more detailed book that goes in depth. Don't stress on memorizing every detail in Goljan, but try to at least get exposed to all the details and understand what's going on. You will 100% see questions on Step 1 that aren't found in FA and Pathoma but that are found in Goljan/Robbins.

Some people prefer to use Robbins as their more detailed text. And that's also fine. I like Goljan better b/c it's not as dense as Robbins. So to summarize, use Pathoma as your basic fund of knowledge, and then read a more detailed book like Goljan/Robbins to cover all the testable details for Step 1 as you're learning it during the school year.

whats the full name of the Goljan book. i want to buy on amazon

Before every block I watch/read pathoma and think it's light on details/diseases. I revisit it right before my block exams and I'm always surprised at just how much information it contains. I still live by goljan and UTD, but deep down I know that FA+ pathoma is enough.
So freaking true. I guarantee OP missed a lot of the nitty gritty details in Pathoma if he blasted through it in a week. Sattar is such a good teacher that you'll watch it once and feel like you have a good grasp of the topic (which you will, of the big picture at least), but there is still a great deal of detail that you missed and need to go back and watch a second, third, fourth time..

And FA + pathoma is always enough. Trust your instincts

Back to OP. You need to clarify what you are using pathoma for. Classes, NBMEs, step 1? Pathoma may be too superficial for your professor's tests, but covers its topics exceptionally well for NBMEs and step.