Path's lead is shrinking..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ectopic, where in ukraine are you from?

Born in Odessa... On the black sea. Most other Ukie's I know are from Kiev. BTW the movie Lord of War had Nick Cage play a Ukie.

Members don't see this ad :)
Born in Odessa... On the black sea. Most other Ukie's I know are from Kiev. BTW the movie Lord of War had Nick Cage play a Ukie.

turtle said:
What's the point of a secret language if you are going to tell what it is you are talking about? Why not speak the native language in the 1st place?

I am crass, but only kinda rude :D

The point is not use a secret language. Although the large egos on SDN don't see it, many people assume you are talking about them when you use a language they don't understand. That's not unreasonable, even if you're only making fun of a silly shirt.

And anyone who gets busted talking about someone else in another language deserves all the embarassment that can be doled out.

Apollyon said:
And anyone who gets busted talking about someone else in another language deserves all the embarassment that can be doled out.

I agree. Still won't keep me from trying, though :D

Nice, my father is from Odessa. I'm from.... Kiev :D.

Still working on my russian. I was basically illiterate even though it was my 1st language cause I came to the states before i turned 2. (I did get to live in Italy for 6 months). In college I learned how to read and write but I think I am probably at a 3rd grade level (maybe). Fortunately, my english is as good as anyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should include Dr. Mom's 20K+ posts in the count! Dr. Mom, if anyone can help out the EM forum, it is you!

Oh, and, almost forgot . . . +pad+

Apollyon said:
Or unfortunately, as you listen to people speaking their native tongue in the US.

Nah, I speak well, fortunately I pick up english from those who know how to speak it. It showed in my SAT and MCAT verbal :D

What is really funny is that I spell better than my wife (an attorney) and most of my friends. I think english being a 2nd language forces you to have discipline when learning how to spell.

I hope I did not offend AngryTesticle. The child is beautiful. It was never about the child. It was about the testicle.

+pad+ of the day

EM Posts - 29,340
Path Posts - 34,134

Difference - 4794
Change since yesterday - 39...
:thumbup:

Strong work people strong work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It is freezing in the midwest. I hope I end up somewhere warm!

A woman is at the grocery store. She goes to check out counter and starts putting her items on the conveyor belt:

One toothbrush
One 4-pack of toilet paper
One ramen noodle pack
One apple
One bag of Ore-Ida Tater Tots

The cashier tells the woman in an inquisitive fashion, "You must be single."

The woman, who thinks the cashier is kinda good looking, becomes excited and asks, "Yeah, how did you know?"

The cashier responds, "Cuz you're f*cking ugly!"

EctopicFetus said:
Nah, I speak well, fortunately I pick up english from those who know how to speak it. It showed in my SAT and MCAT verbal :D

What is really funny is that I spell better than my wife (an attorney) and most of my friends. I think english being a 2nd language forces you to have discipline when learning how to spell.

I learned more English grammar in Latin and French class than I ever did in any English class. My Spanish is completely self-taught, and a great irony is that many of our Spanish-speaking patients (who are almost uniformly Mexican and central American) have trouble understanding me because I am grammatically correct, which these people, who have had to work all their lives and have not been educated, do not know well.

It is unfortunate when people are not fluent in their native language.

Apollyon,

What part of the country are you in?

Hmm, well, my english is certainly better than my Russian, but i'm pretty good with the russian (I came to the states when I was 8 - also after several months in austria and italy). I actually also took it in college, and yeah, my spelling is horrible.... and I mean HORRIBLE. But then again, it's not all that amazing in english either :p.

Oh, and +pad+

Apollyon said:
I learned more English grammar in Latin and French class than I ever did in any English class. My Spanish is completely self-taught, and a great irony is that many of our Spanish-speaking patients (who are almost uniformly Mexican and central American) have trouble understanding me because I am grammatically correct, which these people, who have had to work all their lives and have not been educated, do not know well.

It is unfortunate when people are not fluent in their native language.

English has Ebonics
Spanish has ? :laugh:

It's nice to know that other languages have their own versions of "Ebonics."

Apollyon said:

Been there, done that, Apollyon. I taught Spanish for ten years and every year I had several students tell me that they were learning more English grammar in my class than they were in English class. I also have trouble with Spanish speakers here understanding my Spanish. Of course, my problem is more that I learned Castillian and not a whole heck of a lot of Latin American slang, etc.

Your thread about the Brown Recluse Spider bites was interesting...we had a case in hemepath last month where a woman had been gardening and came in with a blister with surrounding erythema and some early necrosis. PCP diagnosed a spider bite, Brown Recluse (although i wasn't aware Brown Recluse lived in Michigan). Ordered a CBC to check for hemolysis. CBC showed an ANC of 0 and a single circulating blast. Turned out she had a granulocyte arrest of maturation from Bactrim she had been on for sinusitis, and the skin lesion was a Sweet's-syndrome like reaction, although without the mature neutrophils since she didn't have any mature neutrophils. Bone marrow biopsy showed increased cellularity and a bunch of promyelocytes, where they had stopped maturing. Bactrim was stopped, she returned to normal.

So keep that in the differential of "Spider bite." ;)

Very interesting, yaah. I saw a path-diagnosed case of Sweet's Syndrome last month on a family med rotation. It looked like a herpetic rash. When it didn't improve we biopsied it & go the dx.

3 days since anyone posted here, so thought I would.

Got 6 inches of snow last night.

One step closer to path...

Good call. Im traveling but my wife was supposed to meet me somewhere and was at Midway on the runway when that Southwest jet skidded off the runway. Crazy weather. we need to get rejuvenated and +pad+

deuist said:
What? How could such a long time pass without anyone making a post?

Maybe everyone was called away for an emergency? :laugh: :D

I'm mad. The weather people keep promising snow (at one point, they predicited 20+ inches of snow). What have we gotten? Squat. :(

Annette said:
Maybe everyone was called away for an emergency? :laugh: :D

I'm mad. The weather people keep promising snow (at one point, they predicited 20+ inches of snow). What have we gotten? Squat. :(

bump

No snow over here either... but lots and lots of cold. I mean really, I even had to buy a new hat today! *shiver*

+pad+ :D

It's relatively cold over here. 40's for Socal is cold, I actually had to stop wearing shorts. :p

I was going to run my car through the carwash to get the salt off of it from the last snowstorm...but now they'e saying that we may be getting more show this weekend. I guess I'll wait.

How does all that salt affect your vehicle. How bad can the rust problem be out there?

Jambi said:
How does all that salt affect your vehicle. How bad can the rust problem be out there?

Salt damage from it being spread on roads is about 10X worse than that which you get from living by the ocean - or, put the other way, the damage you see oceanside from salt is about 1/10th of what you get from driving on it when it's put down for ice.

Wheel wells, doors, and any seams get hit and start rusting (unless the body panels are plastic or fiberglass!).

Apollyon said:
Salt damage from it being spread on roads is about 10X worse than that which you get from living by the ocean - or, put the other way, the damage you see oceanside from salt is about 1/10th of what you get from driving on it when it's put down for ice.

Wheel wells, doors, and any seams get hit and start rusting (unless the body panels are plastic or fiberglass!).

Bummer!

Certainly I have been gone way way too long.

Let me see if we are still catching up on the Path guys.

Us - 29,628
Them - 34,370

Difference 4742.. Come on people we have a way to go. I know I havent been pulling my load ...

southerndoc said:
The pressure... can't handle it. About to... overload. Does not compute!

bek017.gif

resistance is futile