Patient boundaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothmonster24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I just started clinic and I have fantastic patients but I want to know all of your thoughts about boundaries in the patient/dentist relationship!

I have a patient who started off a bit hostile but she's warmed up to me quite a bit. She just sent me a message asking if she could send me some of her music. I haven't responded but I don't know what to think really. Is this normal and what would you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

Let her send you some music haha. Most of the time, I find that they’re just being friendly. Obviously, you’ll know when it starts crossing the line, and some patients may try to gain favoritism with you, which is something to ultimately watch out for.

Reactions: 1 user
Some tips as my journey in dental school is coming to a close:

-Be yourself. You don’t have to be the most congenial person or life of the party. Patients really want to know that you care about them and that you can break down things in a non complicated way.

-Communicate communicate communicate. Patients will learn to build rapport with you when you’re patient with them. Some are anxious. Some haven’t been to the dentist in a while. It’s okay. Be persistent in explaining what patients will experience (smell, see, feel, how long, taste, etc...)

-Get comfortable with saying “I don’t know”
Sometimes procedures can have unpredictable results and patients get upset if you can’t keep a promise you made to them.

-Listen more and read body language. You can tell a lot about a person by listening to them.

-get a google voice number. Many women in my class had this to protect themselves in case a patient got too comfortable or inappropriate. This actually happened with both male and female students in my class!

Hope this helps. pm me for more!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would never let a patient have my personal phone number. I would only communicate with them through official channels.

House Of God Rule #8: They can always hurt you more.

You can be friendly, caring and professional without letting them into your "inner circle".

It's just her music. It's fine. If she's a composer or musician, then she is just sharing an important part of her life. She's not asking you out to dinner. As long as there's no conflict of interest, there's no harm as long as you are comfortable with it. Developing report with your patients is important part of practice building.

Keep your texts professional and not overly friendly. CYA in case it comes up.

Don't friend patients on social media unless they're actually friends outside of clinic. Don't give out your personal cell phone number - no need to be communicating with them outside of clinic hours.

In regards to that specific situation, there's likely no harm in accepting music from that patient. Just use common sense

Reactions: 2 users
I would just accept the music, it doesn't really do anything. you don't even have to listen to it. I've had pts invite me to all sorts of things, one pt tried to sell me his motorcycle, basically anything outside of clinic I respectfully say I have something planned. They bring me any sort of reasonable gift (my favorite was a jar of peanut butter), I'll take it. You don't need to turn off your personality in the clinic, but you do need to set some boundaries.

texting does make communicating with pts much easier - do it on google voice.