Patient Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMDcanada

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a 1st-year med student in a Canadian university (Montreal!). We are spending already one day a week in the hospital to learn basic intro to clinical medicine stuff. I enjoy it a lot........However, I would like to know, if you know of any resources (internet sites, movies...etc..) that would allow me to master my patient interviewing skills. I mean, i conduct a decent interview, but after we review it with the doc, he always says i should have asked X, Y, and Z. So, if u know of any helpful sites that would provide me with a 'fool proof' system to interview patients, that would be great!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You could try this book: "The Clinical Encounter: A guide to the medical interview and case presentation" by Billings and Stoeckle

Im a 1st-year med student in a Canadian university (Montreal!). We are spending already one day a week in the hospital to learn basic intro to clinical medicine stuff. I enjoy it a lot........However, I would like to know, if you know of any resources (internet sites, movies...etc..) that would allow me to master my patient interviewing skills. I mean, i conduct a decent interview, but after we review it with the doc, he always says i should have asked X, Y, and Z. So, if u know of any helpful sites that would provide me with a 'fool proof' system to interview patients, that would be great!

Thanks

Are X,Y, and Z medical content related or general interview structure questions? If it's something simple like "you should have asked about alcohol/tobacco use" then you will benefit from that book or other websites. But I know that to a large degree, you don't know what to ask until you actually know some medicine.

My interviews this year are a lot more sophisticated this year than last, not because I'm a better interviewer, but because I know more medicine. I know more red flags, I know where to go. I'm sure that I'll be even better next year and the year after that, simply because I'll know more about clinical presentations of diseases.

So I guess what I'm getting at is if it's something like, "He presented with tingling in his foot, why didn't you ask this series of questions about diabetes?" then that's good info to tuck away, but don't take it personally or think you're going to be able to read that in some book about interviewing.