jtb93

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Considering observation hours, does a new setting count if it entails patient populations that were seen in previous settings? According to my ED school's webiste, "A new setting counts only if patient populations do not overlap." I just finised hours in an acute care hospital which allowed me to see a variety of patients (neuro, cardiopulmonary, geriatric, pediatric). I got a call today about setting up outpatient pediatric hours, so I'm wondering if this will not count as a new setting since it was already experienced in my inpatient hours. Any knowledge about this?

starrsgirl

7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2010
Status
Physical Therapist
Did you really see a lot of peds in acute? I speak generally....but unless it's a Children's hospital, most people don't think peds when you say acute care. If it were me, I would label the first setting as "acute" and next setting as "outpatient pediatrics" and leave it at that.

OP
J

jtb93

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
Physical Therapy Student
I did. My PT told me I should indicate it in the patient populations section. The hosptial I observed at has multiple therapists who just cover inpatient pediatrics for a majority of the day. I wasn't with a peds therapist the whole time, but it was a significant chunk of the hours.

beyoutiful_sunshine

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2015
Huntsville, Tx
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Considering the statement your school made, then no it would not count as an additional setting. You can still call just to double check.

It's a little bit odd and it's the first school I hear of that is so specific when it comes to what is considered an additional setting.
If you want more hours though, I'd say it'd be great to still do the observations hours at the peds place, it will probably be a little different then peds in an acute care hospital. Also, in the unfortunate event that you don't get into your ED school, you will have something that would potentially be considered an additional setting at another school.

But if you feel confident about getting into your ED school and/or you feel like the addition of hour/potential new setting is not going to strengthen your application and you could use the time to do something else, then don't bother :)

OP
J

jtb93

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Thanks for the response! I explained the situation to PTCAS, and they allowed me to uncheck peds on the acute hours. Now it'll count as an additional setting. Yeah, their description of the observation hours seems a little off to me. I'm not sure they edit their website too often. States on their page that hours for ED admission must be verified by July 15. I questioned this and was told the hours would be fine as long as they were verified by the ED deadline (August 15).