pattern folding hell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yumi43

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is anyone else having issues with pattern folding?!?! i can find a specific design or "landmark" to focus on, but when it comes to the object in some other orientation, i can't see what folds should go where. i've been practicing a lot on cdp but can't seem to find any strategy that works well enough yet. i score anywhere from 11-14 out of 15. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :(

don't even get me started on angles... siiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

Members don't see this ad.

I also hate pattern folding -_-, but I'm in the same boat as you. I don't get too many wrong but some of them are lucky guesses which makes me feel really worried. The ones that really get me are the cubes with lines on them going in whatever which way.... I can't really visualize those ones too well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you looking at the shading of the patterns? That's what helped me most with the section as I was continually having a difficult time with it. If you look and visualize how the shadings fit together it can be pretty easy to eliminate some of the answer choices. For the angle counting try to visualize fitting an angle inside of the other and look for the smallest/largest and what the answers give the choices for...then you only have to fit the middle two once you figure that out. If this helps at all?