Pay Questions-Attending please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that when I come on active duty in July with a 4 year HPSP commitment (no prior service) after a 3 year civilian deferred EM residency that I will make the following (2 dependents):

Basic Pay: $3941.70 per month ($47,300.40 per year)
BAH: $1488.00 per month ($17856.00 per year) (tax-free) -Southeast Virginia
BAS: $187.49 per month ($2249.88 per year) (tax-free)
VSP: $416.67 per month ($5000.00 per year)
ASP: $15,000.00 per year paid as a lump sum
ISP (EM): $26,000.00 per year paid as a lump sum
BCP: $208.33 per month ($2500 per year) beginning after certification

Total: $115,906.28 after certification

($6242.19 per month + $41,000.00 as a lump sum payment)

First paycheck should be (Basic+BAH+BAS+VSP/2)= $3016.93 Gross

Here are my questions:

1) Do you see any errors in the above table?
2) Is my basic pay correct? I am calculating it using more than 3 years of service but less than 4.
3) VSP is paid monthly, correct?
4) ASP and ISP are paid as a lump sum, correct?
5) When exactly do I receive ASP and ISP? Is it in July? Is it in October? Is it in January?
6) When do I begin receiving my BCP and when I do, is it paid monthly or is it paid as a lump sum? Will it be paid retroactively back to the date I finished residency? I take my written boards Nov 6-11, 2006 and my oral boards April 29-May 1, 2007. I'll get my board certified certificate in June or so I guess.

Resources:
2006 Pay Tables
http://www.dod.mil/dfas/militarypay/newinformation/WebPayTableVersion2006updated.pdf

BAH Calculator:
https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html

ABEM Website:
http://abem.org/public/portal/alias__Rainbow/lang__en-US/tabID__3447/DesktopDefault.aspx

Military Comptroller Website explaining pay eligibility
http://www.dod.mil/comptroller/fmr/07a/07a_05.pdf

P.S. This thread may be worth putting up as a sticky.

Members don't see this ad.

Desperado said:
I understand that when I come on active duty in July with a 4 year HPSP commitment (no prior service) after a 3 year civilian deferred EM residency that I will make the following (2 dependents):

Here are my questions:

2) Is my basic pay correct? I am calculating it using more than 3 years of service but less than 4.
5) When exactly do I receive ASP and ISP? Is it in July? Is it in October? Is it in January?
6) When do I begin receiving my BCP and when I do, is it paid monthly or is it paid as a lump sum? Will it be paid retroactively back to the date I finished residency? I take my written boards Nov 6-11, 2006 and my oral boards April 29-May 1, 2007. I'll get my board certified certificate in June or so I guess.

Resources:
2006 Pay Tables
http://www.dod.mil/dfas/militarypay/newinformation/WebPayTableVersion2006updated.pdf

BAH Calculator:

ABEM Website:
http://abem.org/public/portal/alias__Rainbow/lang__en-US/tabID__3447/DesktopDefault.aspx

1. ASP and ISP are lump sums.
2. ASP on 1 JUL or after (everyone who is not in a 1st residency gets this)
3. ISP on 1 OCT or after.
4. You must turn in the paperwork signed by your commander early or your ASP ISP pay is delayed. Also ISP can normally be delayed anyway.
5. VSP is monthly and based on how many post residency years you have.
6. BCP (monthly) usually starts 3-4 months after you send in you certificate or a letter notification (after you pass orals) that you passed the boards (official letter, not one from you).
7. I have no idea about you base pay.
Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Desperado said:

Here are my questions:

Resources:
2006 Pay Tables

BAH Calculator:

ABEM Website:

1. ASP and ISP are lump sums.
2. ASP on 1 JUL or after (everyone who is not in a 1st residency gets this)
3. ISP on 1 OCT or after.
4. You must turn in the paperwork signed by your commander early or your ASP ISP pay is delayed. Also ISP can normally be delayed anyway.
5. VSP is monthly and based on how many post residency years you have.
6. BCP (monthly) usually starts 3-4 months after you send in you certificate or a letter notification (after you pass orals) that you passed the boards (official letter, not one from you).
7. I have no idea about you base pay.
I graduated last July so I just went through this myself. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Your base pay should be $3221.40 per month since you don't have any prior service. Time in service is what counts for base pay. Creditable service ( the amount of years since you graduated from medical school) only counts for medical special pay like VSP and BCP. Otherwise, your numbers look right.

FliteSurgn said:
Your base pay should be $3221.40 per month since you don't have any prior service. Time in service is what counts for base pay. Creditable service ( the amount of years since you graduated from medical school) only counts for medical special pay like VSP and BCP. Otherwise, your numbers look right.

How do you figure that? He was HPSP and did full time three year outservice training. Thus his pay is O3 with 3 years.

IgD said:
How do you figure that? He was HPSP and did full time three year outservice training. Thus his pay is O3 with 3 years.
As far as base pay is concerned, you don't get any credit for "outservice" time. The only time that counts is time spent on active duty or reserve (drilling) status. This 3 years counts as creditable service for VSP and ISP, but does nothing for "Time in Serivce".

One more thought...Don't forget that they'll withhold taxes from those lump sums. Plan on having 30% subtracted. As mentioned above, ASP usually pays in July and ISP in October. Each of those require you to sign a contract to extend your commitment one year from the date the pay is eligible. Fortunately, this commitment runs concurrently with your HPSP obligation. But, the last year of your HPSP obligation would end in July while your last year of ISP obligation will end in October. Depending on your perspective and financial situation, you may want to forgo your last year of ISP and separate in July.

FliteSurgn said:
Each of those require you to sign a contract to extend your commitment one year from the date the pay is eligible. Fortunately, this commitment runs concurrently with your HPSP obligation. But, the last year of your HPSP obligation would end in July while your last year of ISP obligation will end in October. Depending on your perspective and financial situation, you may want to forgo your last year of ISP and separate in July.

Yay! Another surprise! Maybe I can still leave in July and have "terminal leave" until October.

FliteSurgn said:
As far as base pay is concerned, you don't get any credit for "outservice" time. The only time that counts is time spent on active duty or reserve (drilling) status. This 3 years counts as creditable service for VSP and ISP, but does nothing for "Time in Serivce".
QUOTE]

It seems to me that base pay ought to be calculated like it is for everyone else (i.e. from the time you are commissioned-7 years ago in my case) or else calculated like most of the medical pay (counts residency training.) Seems unfair to penalize me for doing a civilian residency. Can you quote a source for this info?

The clock for pay starts on the day you are recommissioned. Since medical officers are given a superceding commission, it wipes out med school. So, you should be over 3.

I was recommissioned on 21 May and did not start AD until 9 Jun. DFAS has my pay change date at 21 May so that is when I get my longevity raises and special pay changes (Variable Special Pay and Board Cert Pay)

Your Board Cert Pay actually starts on the day you are board certified. You should get back dated pay to the day you are considered BC.

Most commands will not allow more than 60 days terminal leave (and I have seen some allow considerably less. You can also request 10 days house hunting, but that too is at the discretion of the command.

Desperado said:
It seems to me that base pay ought to be calculated like it is for everyone else (i.e. from the time you are commissioned-7 years ago in my case) or else calculated like most of the medical pay (counts residency training.) Seems unfair to penalize me for doing a civilian residency. Can you quote a source for this info?
During your deferred time you were not technically in the military. You received no pay nor I believe were you entitled to benefits. Your time starts when you put the uniform on. Now if you were getting a military salary while undergoing civilian residency then yes you should get that time to count. The problem with that is then you are on the military's dime and they do what they want when it's their money.

A search on any services pay publications should provide you the written proof.

you should get credit for your outservice time, and come onto the payscale with 3 years AD time. it does not make sense, but that is how it works out.

the most important discussion to have is this:

get your paperwork for ISP and ASP drawn up, signed and sent in. keep copies of everything.

there is typically delays in ISP, so don't spend money you don't have.

military medical pay is such a pain in the ass.

thenavysurgeon said:
you should get credit for your outservice time, and come onto the payscale with 3 years AD time. it does not make sense, but that is how it works out.

the most important discussion to have is this:

get your paperwork for ISP and ASP drawn up, signed and sent in. keep copies of everything.

there is typically delays in ISP, so don't spend money you don't have.

military medical pay is such a pain in the ass.

I think I've got it cleared up now. Thank you everyone. Anyone know if I can get the ASP/ISP paperwork done before I report? Where would I find it and where would I send it?

there are some 'dummy' form letters on line. search for them. alternatively, ask your admin office for the form letter, they often have them

xTNS

One other thing to think about is promotion to LCDR. Since you only did a 3 year residency I don't think it will be an issue. I had a colleague that completed a 4-year residency and basically was in zone during her last year. She didn't get promoted right away because she never took the physical fitness test.

IgD said:
One other thing to think about is promotion to LCDR. Since you only did a 3 year residency I don't think it will be an issue. I had a colleague that completed a 4-year residency and basically was in zone during her last year. She didn't get promoted right away because she never took the physical fitness test.

You've gotta hook me up here...like I said, I'm not active duty yet and I can't for the life of me figure out LCDR. Are you referring to a promotion to 0-4?

By the way everyone, today I had a chat on the phone with the guy I'm replacing. He was in the same situation as me 4 years ago but ended up getting credit for residency with his basic pay, and he got his ASP in July and his ISP the first of October. He ended up being able to get out at the end of July despite taking his ISP money the October before because he had 62 days of terminal leave saved up and his commander let him use 60 of it.

Desperado said:
You've gotta hook me up here...like I said, I'm not active duty yet and I can't for the life of me figure out LCDR. Are you referring to a promotion to 0-4?

O-4:

Navy and Coast Guard = LCDR = Lieutenant Commander

Army, Air Force, Marines = MAJ = Major

Same pay grade, same gold oak leaf insignia, different nomenclature (of course).

O-5:

USN, USCG = CDR = Commander
USA, USAF, USMC = LTC or LtCol = Lieutenant Colonel

O-6:

USN, USCG = CAPT = Captain
USA, USAF, USMC = COL = Colonel

The lovely confusion comes about when a USN/USCG O-6 Captain is mistaken on the phone for an Army/Air Force/Marine O-3 (nomenclature = Captain), and is treated as such.

However, this does have an opposite beneficial effect, when an O-3 Captain is given an interservice assignment to a Navy base, and on the phone is assumed to be a Navy Captain (= O-6). Automatic VIP locker room assigment in the gym, in the VOQ, etc, until the error is discovered.

NavyFP said:

Most commands will not allow more than 60 days terminal leave (and I have seen some allow considerably less. You can also request 10 days house hunting, but that too is at the discretion of the command.

I was allowed 14 days terminal leave after 11 years of service...I had 60+ days on the books

Desperado said:

By the way everyone, today I had a chat on the phone with the guy I'm replacing. He was in the same situation as me 4 years ago but ended up getting credit for residency with his basic pay, and he got his ASP in July and his ISP the first of October. He ended up being able to get out at the end of July despite taking his ISP money the October before because he had 62 days of terminal leave saved up and his commander let him use 60 of it.

1) it doesn't matter what you get paid now.....if it is incorrect, DFAS will figure it out and make you pay it back.....I got a bill 9 months after I separated for supposedly over payment. I thnk DFAS was wrong, but I paid the 900 some odd bucks just so I didn't have to deal with them.

2) Terminal leave is very commander specific. Just because one CO allows it, doesn't mean that the next will allow it. I would recommend not planning your schedule around what happened to one person.