Payback with Civilian Deferment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armydoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure, I am a 4yr HPSP student given a civilian deferment for a 5 yr residency. My commitment is only 4 years, correct? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to make sure, I am a 4yr HPSP student given a civilian deferment for a 5 yr residency. My commitment is only 4 years, correct? Thanks in advance.[/quote

Depends on what you mean by deferrment. There are two types:

In a Civilian Facility on Active Duty (FTOS). A member subsidized by the DOD during training in a civilian facility shall incur an ADO of ½ year for each ½ year, or portion thereof, but the minimum ADO at the completion of the GME period shall not be less than 2 years.

ADOs for FTOS training are added to obligation existing at the time training begins.

In a Civilian Facility In a Deferred Status (NADDS). A member deferred for specialty training incurs no additional obligation as long as a 2-year obligation exists at the time the training begins. Members with less than 2 years of active duty obligation will incur a minimum 2-year ADO.

So FTOS would be a 5 year payback

Just to make sure, I am a 4yr HPSP student given a civilian deferment for a 5 yr residency. My commitment is only 4 years, correct? Thanks in advance.

Just out of curiosity, what type of residency are you doing? I had heard that deferments were almost impossible in the current milmed climate.

Members don't see this ad :)

If your program includes an internship year as your first year of "residency" training, that will not add an additional year, so it will still be 4 years if it's a military sponsored civilian deferment.

If you receive no additional funds from the Army, your commitment remains at 4 years.

Completely incorrect. Take a look at the match lists, a lot of folks are being sent out for civilian residencies. Highly specialty-dependent, of course.

I think the question was for Army residencies...and since the Army doesn't publish anything close to resembling a Match List, does anyone have any insight into this?

Completely incorrect. Take a look at the match lists, a lot of folks are being sent out for civilian residencies. Highly specialty-dependent, of course.

Any idea what specialties are being allowed to defer? I'm wanting to do EM and am in the Air Force HPSP. My understanding from talking with several EM physicians is that the current training being offered is highly inadequate on the military side due to the conversion of many milmed hospitals to glorified clinics. Anybody have any insight on this?

Any idea what specialties are being allowed to defer? I'm wanting to do EM and am in the Air Force HPSP. My understanding from talking with several EM physicians is that the current training being offered is highly inadequate on the military side due to the conversion of many milmed hospitals to glorified clinics. Anybody have any insight on this?

cant speak for AF but I received a Navy full deferment for EM this past year and a total of 8 were given out.

It depends on the needs of the AF, how many HPSP and USU students to fill their own residencies and GMOs.

Desperado is an AF EM attending. He could give you a better answer. I think he would agree with your statement that AF hospitals really are glorified clinics. Unfortunately, the AF did not give out any deferments this year.

18 total spots for EM, 3 deferrals for 2006. I've attached the excel sheet. Can I get in trouble for posting this?

18 total spots for EM, 3 deferrals for 2006.

I was deferred for orthopedic surgery. I requested a deferment because of my father who was ill, but has, since receiving my deferment, passed away. I'm not sure if I got a deferment because I requested one or if I did not match. Just based on the some of the other students who did match into Army Ortho, I have a hard time believing I did not match.