paying for a private school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
im getting ready to apply this fall to this private school by my house (cal lutheran university-california) to get my bachelors in science. its a really good school that has great internships with the surrounding medical research companies such as baxter and amgen, etc. and i really like the calm envioronment that it has-very professional (im a no nonsense/no party girl when it comes to school:rolleyes:)

im a first generation college student in my family (parents are immigrants with only hs level education) and we do get support from the govt (very limited b/c my mom has a disability) and i want to get into the best pharmacy schools, and i know i will have to get loans for them when i start grad school-but i am thinking of going to a cal state school or a uc school instead because this private school is very expensive (18k a semester) (and this only for my ba chelors!)

i really wanted to go to this school but i had planned on getting loans once i start pharm school and not before that-hence i think i will go to a school like csun-cal state northridge (which is very populated and a bit away and less of an ideal envioronment for me)

i feel like i am comprising on my education based on the price for the respected schools, but with my family not being able to contribute and personally not wanting to start off with loans before even getting into pharm school (this is why i did my first two years at a cc), i feel like i should go to a cal state school, which, despite more population and lesser known for its biology program, i will at least save some money compared to the private school that i want to go.

does this sound reasonable to any of you out there? or should i just start looking out for loans? can i get some sort of financial aid package? would financial aid cover most or 1/2 of the costs? im also planning to apply to some uc schools because if accepted, clu (the private school that i want) will match that schools tuition and take that amount away from my tuition. its like a scholarship program set between clu and certain uc schools (i believe the two schools are santa barbara and la)

i would really appreciate your advice. im very much in conflict.
thanks alot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

hello, I went to a private school for my bachelors degree and I loved it, but now that I'm done I realize I should have taken the cheaper route and went to a state school because my loan payments are awful, personally I don't know that it really even matters where you had your undergrad as long as you got a degree with good grades and pcat

im getting ready to apply this fall to this private school by my house (cal lutheran university-california) to get my bachelors in science. its a really good school that has great internships with the surrounding medical research companies such as baxter and amgen, etc. and i really like the calm envioronment that it has-very professional (im a no nonsense/no party girl when it comes to school:rolleyes:)

im a first generation college student in my family (parents are immigrants with only hs level education) and we do get support from the govt (very limited b/c my mom has a disability) and i want to get into the best pharmacy schools, and i know i will have to get loans for them when i start grad school-but i am thinking of going to a cal state school or a uc school instead because this private school is very expensive (18k a semester) (and this only for my ba chelors!)

i really wanted to go to this school but i had planned on getting loans once i start pharm school and not before that-hence i think i will go to a school like csun-cal state northridge (which is very populated and a bit away and less of an ideal envioronment for me)

i feel like i am comprising on my education based on the price for the respected schools, but with my family not being able to contribute and personally not wanting to start off with loans before even getting into pharm school (this is why i did my first two years at a cc), i feel like i should go to a cal state school, which, despite more population and lesser known for its biology program, i will at least save some money compared to the private school that i want to go.

does this sound reasonable to any of you out there? or should i just start looking out for loans? can i get some sort of financial aid package? would financial aid cover most or 1/2 of the costs? im also planning to apply to some uc schools because if accepted, clu (the private school that i want) will match that schools tuition and take that amount away from my tuition. its like a scholarship program set between clu and certain uc schools (i believe the two schools are santa barbara and la)

i would really appreciate your advice. im very much in conflict.
thanks alot! :)

How was your education from a CC? Are you at a disadvantage to your peers? No.

Go to the private school because you want to - but know that it will not change your outcome. If you go to the private school - it is for no other reason except your desire to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say go the less expensive route. What you learn is more dependent on your desire than the location. If you look at the students at SC, most of them are from UC's or USC, but those of us from CSUs and other lesser prestigious schools seem to be hanging in there just fine. Prestige isn't everything, desire has more to do with your likelihood to succeed. Just my 2 cents.

OP, go to where it's cheaper. The less debt you have coming out of undergrad, the better.

As an international student who went to college basically for free, I cannot tell you what a huge relief it is not to have the burden of debt hanging over my head in addition to the other stuff that's happened (or didn't happen) this past year.

thanks for all the replies-i really want to go to the private school but i want to be careful with the whole 'student debt' issue-since my family doesnt contribute to my tuition, can i qualify for financial aid? -ive been going to cc for the past 2 years for practically free (i had financial aid due to my parents little income)

do u think financial aid would help me with my private school tuitions? would they cover a majority of it?

thanks for all the replies-i really want to go to the private school but i want to be careful with the whole 'student debt' issue-since my family doesnt contribute to my tuition, can i qualify for financial aid? -ive been going to cc for the past 2 years for practically free (i had financial aid due to my parents little income)

do u think financial aid would help me with my private school tuitions? would they cover a majority of it?

Direct this question to the school financial aid office - as only they would be able to consult with you about possible packages.

Pell grants can also be used for private schools, but it's not going to cover nearly the amount you'd need it to. As ALI mentioned, the school's FA office would be better equipped to field that question.

Assuming you still have a low EFC, you'd be eligible for a Pell grant up to $5,350, Stafford loans (up to $5500 subsidized, $2,000 unsub and an addt'l $4,000 unsub if your parents apply for and are not qualified for a PLUS loan). If you're a life science, but not healthcare, major and maintain a 3.0 or higher than you can also qualify for the SMART grant which is $4,000/year for your junior and senior years. Check the qualifications here: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/SmartGrants.jsp

The school may also award you FSEOG and an additional Perkins subsidized loan. Not sure how CA state grants work, but I assume they would be available too.

Do they offer merit aid for transfers? Additonal need based grants? I would look into that and see what percentage of need they typically meet - it's generally on their website or you can find info here: http://www.studentaid2.ed.gov/gotocollege/campustour/

Private, presigtious schools actually offer MORE help then public schools. I went to a public university and didn't get much help at all...Although it is cheaper, the school didn't have many rich alumni to donate money and help me out therefore my parents had to pay for my Bacholers. (I was a very LAZY high school student so I would not have gotten into any really competitive schools back then..:rolleyes:)However I know people that got into schools like Duke and Wake Forest and only had to pay 5,000 to 6,000 dollars a year!!! :eek: These schools cost over 40,000 a year to attend, but these colleges offer A LOT of MERIT scholarships, alumni donations, etc...that if you are accepted you will get some help. Hell, if you get accepted into Princeton and can't afford it you can go there for FREE anyways b/c thats how much $$$ that schools has to give. The HARD part however is getting accepted. ;)
If I were you I would apply to the private school and apply for as many Merit base scholarship as you can.

I agree that the most cost effective route is the way to go.

If I were to redo my undergrad again, I go with the

2 year CC or CSU

then for the last 2 years, transfer to a UC or private school to take my upper division science classes and earn my bachelor of science degree there.

In California, there is something called the BOG = Board of Governor grant/aid that helps pay CC tuition for the financially needy. You can also apply for scholarships and receive pell grants through the federal government. IMO, you might not have to take out any loans until you transfer to a UC or private school.

From my own experience, you will learn much more at a CC than at an UC. This is mostly true since UC science professors are too busy with their research, trying to push out publications, and dealing first with their own graduate students. Whereas, CC teachers are there primarily to teach you, support you, and urge you to transfer to a UC/private school of your interest. UC and CC teachers are both excellent, but the CC teachers will have more time to teach you than the UC ones.

I urge most students in California to go this route. It is cost effective. You actually learn organization skills, time management, and have a solid foundation in how to succeed in academia before you get thrown into the "you are nothin' but a number" UC institution.

In the end, you earn a UC / private degree at a cheap price and your GPA will most likely be higher than if you attended all 4 yrs at a UC.

Ultimately, your successes at CC, CSU, UC, and Private schools will show pharmacy schools you are well prepared for the rigors of the pharmacy school curriculum.

good luck.

Last edited: