paying for MD/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spi11edpaint

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if some of you who have gone the combined degree route could weigh in...how impossible is it to pay off both these huge debts? I'm looking at Columbia's MPH, but I know I want an MD and I'm wondering how to balance both loans. I don't have any undergraduate debt, but I know I will have to borrow an extremely high portion of the MD and MPH cost. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I actually got really lucky on the financial part. My school is really promoting the MD/MPH dual program right now and are offering a $10,000 scholarship to help defray costs if you choose the 5 year program. This will cover all of my tuition and books with a bit left over towards living expenses.

lilmo said:
I actually got really lucky on the financial part. My school is really promoting the MD/MPH dual program right now and are offering a $10,000 scholarship to help defray costs if you choose the 5 year program. This will cover all of my tuition and books with a bit left over towards living expenses.

That's awesome? What school do you attend?
To the OP: will Columbia subsidize the MPH if you TA classes? I know that Michigan's does this.

Members don't see this ad :)
MadameLULU said:
That's awesome? What school do you attend?
To the OP: will Columbia subsidize the MPH if you TA classes? I know that Michigan's does this.

University of Kansas. I'm really liking the program so far. It's been a nice change from the basic sciences.

spi11edpaint said:
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if some of you who have gone the combined degree route could weigh in...how impossible is it to pay off both these huge debts? I'm looking at Columbia's MPH, but I know I want an MD and I'm wondering how to balance both loans. I don't have any undergraduate debt, but I know I will have to borrow an extremely high portion of the MD and MPH cost. Thanks!

Hey spi11edpaint,

Well, if you are really interested in public health, go ahead and do your MPH, don't worry about the cost. In the recent past, if you go to med school somewhere in NYC, there's a scholarship that you can apply to for your MPH year at Mailman. I think it's called the macy scholar program, although words have it that it may have run out of funding as of last year...

babyface said:
Hey spi11edpaint,

Well, if you are really interested in public health, go ahead and do your MPH, don't worry about the cost. In the recent past, if you go to med school somewhere in NYC, there's a scholarship that you can apply to for your MPH year at Mailman. I think it's called the macy scholar program, although words have it that it may have run out of funding as of last year...

The Macy Scholar program is still going strong; several of my friends were recently awarded the scholarship.

babyface said:
Hey spi11edpaint,

Babyface,
Why do you say to not worry about the costs?
Please read my concerns/questions below and let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

I was set on Columbia, but am now debating over it and Univ. of Texas School of Public Health (UT). The benefits of UT include:

1. A position in their global health track (w/ Epi), which I didn't
get into at Columbia

2. UT Tuition for whole MPH program would only cost $30K, whereas
Columbia would cost $80K.

3. Also, my current boss (I'm an Assist. Epidemiologist at MD
Anderson Cancer Center) offered me to keep my position part time in
cancer epi, and also offered me her vast data for a thesis if I were
interested.

So with these three developments, I'm highly considering UT over
Columbia. But, maybe you can answer these questions about Columbia:

1. Do you know if master students (specifically those like me who only
hold a BS or BA) get a lot of attn at Columbia? Do these students,
who don't have too much experience, have to compete w/ MDs who are
pursuing a MPH and/or doctoral students.

From my research of Columbia it seems most of the funding,
developments, and close faculty relationships are with the latter
two groups. For example, most of the specific tracks (eg: global
health, genetic epi, cancer epi) are all composed of doctoral
students or students who have significant prior experience. I don't
see anything of this substance where inexperienced MPH students are
heavily involved.

2. Do you know how is job stability at NYC for MPH students who do not have a terminal degree (eg: MD)? At Houston, I would be able to keep my
cancer epi position, but I am certainly open to other positions at
Columbia.

Anyway, I feel Columbia is overall a better school (even better Epi
dept) than UT, and my heart certainly lies in Columbia, but the
problem is that I have a great job offer, global health track, and
connections here, whereas none of these things are promised to me
at Columbia. Also will spending $50K more at Columbia be worth it
for an MPH?

There seems to be pockets of excellent opportunities at UT, but
again, I'm willing to take the chance at Columbia if ppl feel it's
an amazing school with many opportunities readily available for
students such as myself (inexperienced, but I'm a pretty aggressive student).

Any advice/suggestions from ANYONE will greatly help!!!