Paying off student loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckliethe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a 4th year medical student, just finished my rank list, and have moved on to the next order of business, what to do with my student loans... I will have $300,000 in loans to pay back. I was looking at the public service loan forgiveness. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this possible to do in Ob/Gyn? Do the salaries end up disqualifying you from the program? As of right now I'm considering a minimally invasive fellowship so would be in the academic path for 5 years of residency/fellowship and like teaching and working with the less priveledged, so would consider a job in an academic or a public health area. What about straight IBR or forbearance? Any info would help immensely. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely possible to do in OB/GYN. I don't have details because I haven't met him personally, but I know one of the attendings that moonlights at a UT OB/GYN clinic is doing his time in Mississippi.

Just be sure to carefully look over your obligations.

A quick Google search yields the following website: http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/

Good luck.

I am a NHSC scholar and have never regretted the decision. I joined in medical school and had 4 years of sponsored medical education in return for a 4 year payback in an under served area. What I can tell you is that I have learned tremendously and have every exact opportunity for minimal invasive surgery in my hospital as those do in UT. While my site may be unique there are several sites within the Indian Health Services or Public Health Services scholar sitesthat have PHS officers with advanced training.

Besides a payback you could also enter into the PHS which could in turn pay off your loans as well as sponsor you for postgraduate training.

Good luck