Paying to shadow a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaySay1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently saw a posting that invited predental students to apply to shadow a dentist but for a fee, is this legit or bogus?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you pay for shadowing? ask around and i am sure you will find a dentist who is more than willing to have you for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
volunteer instead of shadowing. Offer to autoclave, setup rooms, etc. You don't need to ask a Dentist directly also, if you know a assistant you can talk to them to ask their boss if they want a FREE worker ;-)

I recently saw a posting that invited predental students to apply to shadow a dentist but for a fee, is this legit or bogus?

What?! pfft no need to pay. Lots of dentists would be more than happy to have you shadow for free. They had to do it, too, at some point. If you don't know a dentist to ask, look to shadow in a dental public health clinic in your area. That's what I did. It was a wonderful experience.

I'm really sensitive to social situations and I was terrified to ask a dentist if I could shadow because I didn't want to annoy anyone. However, they've all been VERY nice and open to it. Once you ask the first time, it doesn't seem like as big of a deal. I suggest stopping by the office and asking the receptionist if you could set up a meeting with the doc to see if you could shadow. I think this is more personal than just a phone call, and it shows you're dedicated. It's harder to tell a person no to their face, too. :)

What's the dentist charging? If it's a small amount and you have nowhere else to go, I don't see why not.

I know that it took a long time for me to get a dentist to shadow. Probably dropped my resume off/ chat with receptionist at 20 offices before I got one to let me shadow.

I would have paid in a heart beat to avoid wasting all that time and frustration looking.

What's the dentist charging? If it's a small amount and you have nowhere else to go, I don't see why not.

I know that it took a long time for me to get a dentist to shadow. Probably dropped my resume off/ chat with receptionist at 20 offices before I got one to let me shadow.

I would have paid in a heart beat to avoid wasting all that time and frustration looking.

Yeah, but what kind of dentist would adverstise this?

i would not pay to shadow. ask the dentist you normally go to for cleanings/etc (assuming you go to a dentist lol). im sure he/she would be willing since you are a patient of his and it can only help him retain you as a patient.

remember the worst thing that can happen when you ask a dentist to shadow is they say no, in which case you just move on.

Shhhh! Keep it quiet. The concept might prove to be contagious.

How much extra for a letter?

Is the fee for shadowing through a student group? My school's predental society asks members to pay a small nominal fee annually for club privileges, including but not limited to being "matched" with a local dentist for shadowing purposes. If so, I would think it's okay. If it's an actual dentist asking for the fee, then :confused:.