Pbl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoodle

UC-Davis DVM/PhD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tried to search the forum for more discussion of PBL (problem-based learning, the teaching style at Cornell and Western), but I haven't found any real rip-roaring debates! What do you guys think? Pros? Cons? Effective? Fun? Difficult? Entrancing?

Just to disclose, Cornell is my top choice right now for a number of reasons unrelated to PBL (academic/research focus, Ithaca/rural hippy town, fabulous nanotech/chemistry programs for my significant other). I'm a bit worried about PBL, but I don't know much about it! help!

Members don't see this ad.

I really think the effectiveness of PBL depends on the individual. I went to a mock session at Western and wasn't really into it. I think it would be great as a supplement to traditional classroom teaching but not as a stand alone method. It was really great to get people to use their knowledge to think holistically about given cases but forces the individual to learn unknown topics on their own. For instance, when I was in the mock session they have a board (I don't remember what they called it) where they write all of the things that still need to be learned (i.e. GI anatomy, how to read blood panels, etc.) and you are responsible for learning these things outside your PBL session. I may have misunderstood this but I'm pretty sure that's the way it was done. This type of learning just isn't for me. They even admitted that there are certain things that end up being over looked, but used the excuse that it is impossible to learn everything at any vet school. I just felt like I would get a better education from actually taking anatomy, immunology, etc. classes with some PBL practice on the side. Classrooms are more my style I guess...

That's my fear too... but there must be some actual teaching involved, right? Like, so you are looking at a lame dog... is it really necessary to teach yourself everythign about anatomy/ortho, or have you already had exposure to the fundamentals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I am an alternate at Cornell and deposited at Tufts. Both do some PBL. Personally I like it--did you go to the information session at Cornell we did a mock case study? You go through the case and everything that you don't know goes up on the learning issues board. Those questions are then split up and each person finds the answers to their questions then you come back together and discuss. There is a fair amount of go out and find this information but it is supported through lectures, and labs. Ie. when you do a GI case you will be doing GI in lecture and lab at the same time. For me it seems like a real good way to pull everything together that you are learning if the various classes. I specifically asked the student I stayed with about the curriculum and PBL/lecture ratio--here is her answer.

1. The curriculum is well-developed and cohesive. You will not have a
case on the forelimb, a lecture on GI anatomy, a gross lab on the head and
a radiology lab on the thorax. Everything you learn in lecture and lab
will be coordinated with the cases, and this will help guide you through
the cases. As for the loose ends, more typical curricula are designed for
you to simply show what you know. The whole purpose of the tutorial is to
expose what you don't know, and then use these learning issues as a
starting point for your own exploration and investigation. Once you've
done that, you should come back to tutor group with a much broader and
deeper understanding of the topic, and then all the different aspects of
the course along with feedback from your tutor will help you refine your
knowledge.

2. During Block I, you will typically have tutor group every other day
for 2 hours in the morning. You will have lecture for 2-3 hours either in
the mornings after tutor group, or in lieu of tutor group every other day.
In the afternoons (usually, but occasionally right after lecture or tutor
group) you will have either gross anatomy dissection lab or a dry lab
(histology/radiology/etc.) (usually rotates every other day).

3. Block II (cell biology and genetics) is mostly lecture based with
fewer group exercises. Block III (function/dysfunction) goes back to a
more Block I style set-up. I'm not sure of the ratio of lecture/tutorial
in Blocks IV and V.

Hope that helps!

I was not really impressed with PBL when I went to Cornell's info session. It seems like maybe it'd be an appropriate approach later on in your education to bring everything together, but to jump into it straight away, when everyone has different levels of background knowledge, seems pretty ineffective to me. Our 'facilitator' during the mock sessions admitted that it can be very time consuming and sometimes they fall behind schedule of where they're supposed to be with the material.

Even the current students at Cornell didn't seem to embrace it that much. A lot of them talked about what a struggle it was to adjust and sounded glad that midway through the program it changes back to more of a lecture based teaching.

even though people are at different knowledge levels...well really i think that's the point. PBL forces students to work together as colleagues rather than against each other as students. Each student has a particular area of expertise, and they learn from teaching while the others learn, and eventually it will switch. I'm really excited to be doing PBL, actually...i think it will be a more fun and interactive way to learn. Also, it really gets you thinking more like a doctor, and less like a super-crammer of a student, which is a transition we all need to make.

Those of you interested in the Problem-based learning might find the student handbook from Cornell for the Class of 2010 interesting. They cover the PBL style in some depth, and the role of tutors in the small group discussions. The handbook also has a lot of information about rotations/electives/etc if you are considering Cornell. You can find it here:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/public/registrar/StudentHandbook2010.pdf

Thanks, sundoggie!