Pbl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balliamo402

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone here who is currently in a program that utilizes problem-based learning? If so, how are you finding it? Do you feel there are any [major] drawbacks to it, compared to the traditional method?

Members don't see this ad.

My school utilizes PBL-based classes. However, it's integrated into the traditional lecture classes. A few days a month, we have what's called a CIG class, where we are split into small groups and given a case study. The professor is present to simply help guide the discussion of the case. We come with physical therapy diagnoses, discuss PMH, medications, tests and measures, treatments, prognosis, etc. It's useful in terms of integrating that knowledge you learned in lecture into a patient case. Some of the cons are that sometimes, you have no idea what's going on so you happen to just listen or answer some of the easier questions. You really learn to teach yourself some of the things, since you have to research what you don't know, instead of the professor just telling you the answers.

Thanks so much for the insight. I'm wondering if I would fare better with the traditional method. Thankfully, I'm visiting a school that uses PBL, so I'm excited to see the curriculum in person.