Pc q&a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very Nicely put :) ..
thanks
best wishes

Members don't see this ad.

No I think ur answer is very comprehensive.
Thanks a lot....

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear ProgCoordinator & Gutonc,

Thanks a lot for your time & efforts. Its an unbelievably tormenting experience. Your words are like a cool breeze over our burns! Just want to say... "thank you"

cheers!

Although a candidate with CMR and/or AOA will get extra points (either figuratively or formally), these are points equal to those that top candidates can earn without either designation. While all programs will certainly take notice of these accomplishments, these factors alone would rarely make or break whether a candidate will be invited to interview.

This is a process with very few cut and dry black and white situations. Out of hundreds of applications, only a small fraction will be slamdunks on paper. Like 2% or lower.

Bear in mind that, once we get to interviews, the value of a slamdunk-on-paper can plummet if they end up being dingle in person.

:luck:

I've got an idea in my head what a "slam dunk" on paper might be, but I am interested to hear from somebody on the other side that sees hundreds of applications yearly what exactly this is...

I've got an idea in my head what a "slam dunk" on paper might be, but I am interested to hear from somebody on the other side that sees hundreds of applications yearly what exactly this is...

An abosolute slam dunk app would look like this....

Top 25 med school
AOA
Top 25 residency
CMR
History of research
Publication(s)
USMLE scores 240 or better
Mailing address: Fortress of Solitude

Does an applicant need to bring anything in particular to the interview? On my residency trail, I took copies of my CV and personal statement, as well as a copy of my publications/poster handouts..but no one ever asked for it, and I just lugged around a portfolio. More than often, the programs give me a portfolio to carry around with their info and I could make notes in that.

Any suggestions for fellowship?

Does an applicant need to bring anything in particular to the interview? On my residency trail, I took copies of my CV and personal statement, as well as a copy of my publications/poster handouts..but no one ever asked for it, and I just lugged around a portfolio. More than often, the programs give me a portfolio to carry around with their info and I could make notes in that.

Unless there are updates to your CV, you needn't lug around copies. Do not bring copies of your pubs. You needn't bring your personal statement. Bring a note pad and a pen if you'd like to jot down notes or get a fellow's email. Programs will usually give you a folder with info. If they give you stuff, don't abandon it somewhere. That's sort of a slap in the face.

Do not plan to use anyone's computer for desktop publishing or the office copy machine. If you haven't guessed, we still haven't forgotten THAT guy.

I had a question concerning publications for the fellowship application. I know that publications are important for a strong application, but how far back do you consider a publication relevant? Does it matter that the work or publications was completed during residency versus before residency? Does it matter what kind of publication it was(clinical vs non)? I am 3rd-4th author on a few publications from my time at medical school and prior to school at a cardio research lab, and I am wondering how hard I should push for more research during residency, especially considering the time constraints during residency. Thank you!

Last edited:
I had a question concerning publications for the fellowship application. I know that publications are important for a strong application, but how far back do you consider a publication relevant? Does it matter that the work or publications was completed during residency versus before residency? Does it matter what kind of publication it was(clinical vs non)? I am 3rd-4th author on a few publications from my time at medical school and prior to school at a cardio research lab, and I am wondering how hard I should push for more research during residency, especially considering the time constraints during residency. Thank you!

We consider everything. Early work within Cardiology is looked upon favorably. Research and pubs during residency tend to carry more weight. Peer-reviewed work is valued. I think, for the most part, clinical carries more weight than non. Bear in mind, though, that I'm not the ultimate judge of applicants' research and pubs.

Should you want to match to a competitive fellowship program, you should try to get in as much research as you can during residency. Preferably with a mentor who has a strong track record.

ProgCoordinator and gutonc,

Thanks for your thoughtful responses to the questions posed above.

Something has happened during my interviews for fellowship that was unexpected. I confess that I'm completely naive to the appropriate response.

Without going into too many details, over the course of my interviews I am being pulled aside to have further tours/on-site and phone interviews with other basic science/sub-sub specialty attendings that were not listed on my itinerary and they do not involve other applicants in my group.

What would be the appropriate response to thank them for this extra effort and ongoing interest without falsely informing them I will rank these programs as "number one" because I haven't checked out additional programs yet? I think this is probably good news but I am unsure because I haven't read about this occurring on any other forums. Any additional insight into what this could mean?

Thanks in advance,

Although we try to tell candidates ahead of time, we do something similar. It helps both you and the program get a better idea about whether they can offer what you're both looking for. When you send your thank you email, it would be fine to mention that you appreciate the extra opportunity to meet with so-and-so. No biggie. There's no need to go into ranking confessions or anything.

ProgCoordinator and gutonc,

Thanks for your thoughtful responses to the questions posed above.

Something has happened during my interviews for fellowship that was unexpected. I confess that I'm completely naive to the appropriate response.

Without going into too many details, over the course of my interviews I am being pulled aside to have further tours/on-site and phone interviews with other basic science/sub-sub specialty attendings that were not listed on my itinerary and they do not involve other applicants in my group.

What would be the appropriate response to thank them for this extra effort and ongoing interest without falsely informing them I will rank these programs as "number one" because I haven't checked out additional programs yet? I think this is probably good news but I am unsure because I haven't read about this occurring on any other forums. Any additional insight into what this could mean?

Thanks in advance,

"Thanks for the interview. I greatly appreciated getting to talk with Dr. X in the Y department and hearing about the research going on in Disease Z at Man's Greatest Hospital.
Sincerely,
vdub"

The End

What likely happened is, after your schedule was made up (maybe as late as when you had your first interview there), somebody on the committee realized you should really meet Dr. X in the Y department and they adjusted your schedule accordingly.

Our formal interview day will end with lunch and a tour, with applicants with specific research interests given the opportunity to meet with non-clinical faculty in the afternoon.

Ain't no big thang.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question re: research,

With respect to top-tier academic programs, how much research is significant?

I know there isn't a magical number and there are other factors such as the impact factor of the journal, etc... but how many papers (range or so) do program directors consider significant or impressive?

Thanks so much for your input - this forum and the advice you provide is extremely valuable.

Quick question re: research,

With respect to top-tier academic programs, how much research is significant?

I know there isn't a magical number and there are other factors such as the impact factor of the journal, etc... but how many papers (range or so) do program directors consider significant or impressive?

Thanks so much for your input - this forum and the advice you provide is extremely valuable.

No magic number here for research or pubs. I keep an eye on the journals/conferences and author line up. Then rely on faculty to evaluate project/subject significance. I've seen apps with tons of pubs get outranked by those with just a couple. Sometimes those with a lot of pubs include many case reports, editorials, or other work that is considered padding.

How important is it to have a first author pub for your file when applying? I will be doing some research during my residency but I feel like I have my hands full with learning and my original goal of getting a 1st author pub seems unrealistic. I have publications from before residency.

Also is any additional consideration given to apps with two board certifications/eligibilities? (ie Med-Peds, EM-IM, Med-Psych, etc?)

How important is it to have a first author pub for your file when applying? I will be doing some research during my residency but I feel like I have my hands full with learning and my original goal of getting a 1st author pub seems unrealistic. I have publications from before residency.

Also is any additional consideration given to apps with two board certifications/eligibilities? (ie Med-Peds, EM-IM, Med-Psych, etc?)

It's not imperative to have a first author.

Speaking only for my program, we don't give special consideration to those with dual board certs/eligibility, per se. Of course it's noted and, if we're interested in the candidate, we sketch out training possibilities if s/he were to train with us, but we don't go into recruitment pining for such candidates.

Are case reports considered only padding, do they have any positive impact at all?

What if you have several first author original manuscripts but also happen to have several case reports - is that looked at negatively/positively, etc?

Again, huge thanks for your insight and time.

Are case reports considered only padding, do they have any positive impact at all?

What if you have several first author original manuscripts but also happen to have several case reports - is that looked at negatively/positively, etc?

Again, huge thanks for your insight and time.

Case reports just don't carry as much weight as peer-reviewed articles. That's all. They're not bad.

Thanks programcoordinator and gutonc.

What about thank you notes and or letters. it seems like they dont count at all but if everyone else turns one in to the program. Doesnt thay mean if a candidate does not turn on in that it could be viewed as a lack of inyerest in the program?

what are your thoughts on post interview thank you letters?

What about thank you notes and or letters. it seems like they dont count at all but if everyone else turns one in to the program. Doesnt thay mean if a candidate does not turn on in that it could be viewed as a lack of inyerest in the program?

Our impression if a candidate doesn't send a thank you after their interview day is that they are not interested in our program.

I advocate for emailing the thank you correspondences.

This is my first year reviewing apps so I can't comment from that side. I sent them when I was interviewing. I sent actual cards for residency interviews and emails for fellowship. But just ONCE. Your name shows up the PC or PD's inbox more than once or twice after your interview and I guarantee you that your app is going to disappear from the list of "definitely rank" folks.

"Thanks for the interview, I liked your program." The End.

Dear Programcoordinator,
Thank you for all the valuable suggestions. How much does it matter as an IMG to get an Interview? and what would you consider minimum credentials for an IMG to be considered for an interview.

Thank you.

Dear Programcoordinator,
Thank you for all the valuable suggestions. How much does it matter as an IMG to get an Interview? and what would you consider minimum credentials for an IMG to be considered for an interview.

Thank you.

Not sure how to answer the first part of your question because every interview matters. Though I understand that it can be more of a challenge for many IMGs to score interviews.

As far as minimums (generally speaking), USMLE scores should be over 200, research and pubs are even more important, LORs are each given a lot of attention, and visa status is closely considered. For our program, a candidate on an H1b would have to be exceptional for us to invite them to interview. J1s are typically preferred.

Thank you for all of your assistance, it is greatly appreciated it!

One of my top choices for fellowship includes rounding with the ID consult service at the conclusion of my interview day. What are the expectations in terms of my interactions during rounds? What are your suggestions? Thank you!

Thank you for all of your assistance, it is greatly appreciated it!

One of my top choices for fellowship includes rounding with the ID consult service at the conclusion of my interview day. What are the expectations in terms of my interactions during rounds? What are your suggestions? Thank you!

Gutonc will probably have better input than I. My two cents is to handle the situation as you normally would. Be professional, ask pertinent questions if you have them, speak up if prompted. Don't be a jerk. Don't make inappropriate comments.

Dear PCs,
Thank you for all this enlightening discussion. You all have open their eyes and I cud have never been much informed if I have not been referred to this forum. Blah blah .......

And I can go on & on & on but what you have said may be true for AMGs.
For us IMGs the discrimination is so strong that ERAS and NRMP identifies us at the top of our applications as NON Citizen and NON US medical graduates and our medical school name is listed immediately beneath our names.

I am in this business (becoming a fellow) now for almost 3 ERAS cycles and have spent more than $3000 each time just by applying via ERAS to fellowship positions which in some cases are already given out but not taken out of the Match. Do not know why would they do that? I am just sharing my experience......

It is so frustrating that out of more than 150 programs that I have applied I do not even get a courtesy rejection or acknowledgment. You know I want that info as when I apply to these programs and spend my money, time, emotions I expect someone on that side to be a little courteous as well.

And the things that I have is I was in the top 10 of my class of 250 and my dean's letter says that, I have USMLE scores of >200 or in 90's, I have enough research compare to an average graduate, I have become a US citizen, did Masters in clinical research , have excellent LORs as this time I told all my LOR writters I do not WAIVE my right to see the letters and they were kind enough to send me a copy of LORS as well......What else should I do ......

This is an unfair system......and especially for IMGs..... In every system else where in the world there is a scoring system.... There is a score assigned to all your achievements.... It is not like this that if you have failed or have less scores in steps.....there you go...tossed out of the selection process...bad one LOR and again....tossed out of the selection process.... We are all humans one of the things bad in our CV does not represent me....you have to look and score all what I have and then you will be able to decide And AMG vs IMG should not be discriminated........There are so many things wrong in this system that I can go on and on but will waste my time and everyone's else time. My experience in interviews is even worse....they read about you in front of you and most of the interviewers do not know anything about you....understand that they are busy....

Well all the best everyone....

Dear ProgCoordinator,
Thank you very much for the great advice. There are a few very competitive programs that have not sent me a rejection (I am not sure if they have sent any one rejections) and I am REALLY interested in them. Would you think it is appropriate for me to send them an email at this point and express my interest? I feel like I can't loose anything at this point! If so, would you think I should send the email to the program coordinator or to the program director or to both?

Thank you very much in advance.

Dear ProgCoordinator,
Thank you very much for the great advice. There are a few very competitive programs that have not sent me a rejection (I am not sure if they have sent any one rejections) and I am REALLY interested in them. Would you think it is appropriate for me to send them an email at this point and express my interest? I feel like I can't loose anything at this point! If so, would you think I should send the email to the program coordinator or to the program director or to both?

Thank you very much in advance.

In most cases a followup email won't make a difference, but you may snag something. Who knows? Like you'd said, you've got nothing to lose. My suggestion is to send an individual (very brief) email to each of the programs that are left that you're interested in. State your continued interest and your reference number. Don't give another rundown of your submission. Send to the PD and copy the PC.

Before sending any emails, though, check the junk/spam folder of your email. Sometimes mass emails that we send via ERAS end up in there.

This is my first year reviewing apps so I can't comment from that side. I sent them when I was interviewing. I sent actual cards for residency interviews and emails for fellowship. But just ONCE. Your name shows up the PC or PD's inbox more than once or twice after your interview and I guarantee you that your app is going to disappear from the list of "definitely rank" folks.

"Thanks for the interview, I liked your program." The End.

This is silly, and nit-picky, but alas, it is what I've come to during this process.
When you say ONCE, do you mean one time or one email. I just emailed the PD with the PC cc'd. But my friend says that I should thank each interviewer separately.
What do you think?

This is silly, and nit-picky, but alas, it is what I've come to during this process.
When you say ONCE, do you mean one time or one email. I just emailed the PD with the PC cc'd. But my friend says that I should thank each interviewer separately.
What do you think?

Many candidates send thank you's to every interviewer and there's nothing wrong with that. Hitting everyone is a nice gesture. My suggestion is that you at least send a thank you to the PD.

I am a IMG on a VISA, but I have scored a 99 percentile on 5 occassions, step 1,2,3 and the first 2 inservice examination.
I am a chief resident
I have great letters
I have a FRACP equivalent to FRCP in UK, which takes between 3 to 5 years to acqiure including very standard exams
I am working on a couple of research projects at a Major university and have original ideas that are worth pursuing.
I have 12 years post graduation experience in INDIA, Australia and USA.
3 years experience in Cardiology

Isnt it unfair to discriminate against me just for Visa reasons?

I am a IMG on a VISA, but I have scored a 99 percentile on 5 occassions, step 1,2,3 and the first 2 inservice examination.
I am a chief resident
I have great letters
I have a FRACP equivalent to FRCP in UK, which takes between 3 to 5 years to acqiure including very standard exams
I am working on a couple of research projects at a Major university and have original ideas that are worth pursuing.
I have 12 years post graduation experience in INDIA, Australia and USA.
3 years experience in Cardiology

Isnt it unfair to discriminate against me just for Visa reasons?

You appear to have strong stats. Unfortunately this basic info is just a peek into your full submission. I can't say for certain what may or may not be issues for your application. What must also be considered is the rest of the year's candidate pool along with the programs to which you have chosen to apply.

As I'm sure you know, candidates on H1b visas aren't eligible for NIH grants, so that's a speed bump for some. If you're on a J1, of course, this point doesn't apply to you.

My program has a history of inviting IMG applicants to interview. Almost all are training in IM at top academic institutions and have substantial research under their belts. We have, indeed, matched some.

As I've said before, nothing in this process is cut and dry. Though I absolutely appreciate your frustration and your need to vent, I am not interested in engaging in the AMG vs. IMG debate. As you can find by reading many old threads on SDN, such conversations tend to devolve into base arguments that solve nothing and bring out the worst in some. It's proven to be unproductive. That's not what I'm here for.

That said, I wish you the very best of luck.

I know this is a new application cycle that has never started at this time of year before.....however, do you have any idea the latest time that programs should finish sending out invites for interviews?

Dear PC, I know that you have helped a lot of people, including myself by being available on this thread and answering queries.But I really feel the need to point out that the info you provided in your last post regarding NIH and h1b is not correct.NIH can and does sponsor H1b and allow ppl on H1 to be funded by them.ref. http://grants.nih.gov/grants/foreign/visas.htm?print=yes&
I know there are many misconceptions about visas, and many programs are unaware of those.and in such situations, misinformation is hardly helpful.I know, as someone who had a fellowship taken away from him after being offered it in my dream program-hence I am afraid that I really do feel strongly about it. Instead of just thinking that an H1b candidate may be a burden, it would be of assistance if some of the programs read up about this or enlisted help of a immigration lawyer, rather than just going by hearsay.So please, if anyone has the least respect for any IMG, kindly cross check facts Before posting them on public forums, where they become tantamount to malicious rumor.

Though I do agree that the T32 training grant DOES preclude foreign nationals, however, to my knowledge, anyone on a J1 gets precluded for it same as someone on a H1.there is 'equal opportunity, affirmative action' employment for everyone ;-)

Dear PC, I know that you have helped a lot of people, including myself by being available on this thread and answering queries.But I really feel the need to point out that the info you provided in your last post regarding NIH and h1b is not correct.NIH can and does sponsor H1b and allow ppl on H1 to be funded by them.ref. http://grants.nih.gov/grants/foreign/visas.htm?print=yes&
I know there are many misconceptions about visas, and many programs are unaware of those.and in such situations, misinformation is hardly helpful.I know, as someone who had a fellowship taken away from him after being offered it in my dream program-hence I am afraid that I really do feel strongly about it. Instead of just thinking that an H1b candidate may be a burden, it would be of assistance if some of the programs read up about this or enlisted help of a immigration lawyer, rather than just going by hearsay.So please, if anyone has the least respect for any IMG, kindly cross check facts Before posting them on public forums, where they become tantamount to malicious rumor.

Yep. You're correct on the visa-grant issue. I mispoke on the fly. My apologies. I appreciate your understanding and can assure that that our PD and recruitment committee are well aware of the reality of the situation.

Last edited:
I know this is a new application cycle that has never started at this time of year before.....however, do you have any idea the latest time that programs should finish sending out invites for interviews?

I can't say for certain. The hard deadline across the board is that ROL's are due November 14th. Going off of that, most programs will probably be finished with their interviews by November 1st.

For programs with lists of alternates, they could invite a candidate up to the day before an interview date.

Though I do agree that the T32 training grant DOES preclude foreign nationals, however, to my knowledge, anyone on a J1 gets precluded for it same as someone on a H1.there is 'equal opportunity, affirmative action' employment for everyone ;-)

Correct. Mea culpa.

Dear PC
Would you recommend taking a copy of publications/posters to your interviews? I know that is really tacky to give copies of pubs to interviewers. But would it be appropriate to have copies to show results if they are interested to know about specifics of my research?

Unless there are updates to your CV, you needn't lug around copies. Do not bring copies of your pubs. You needn't bring your personal statement. Bring a note pad and a pen if you'd like to jot down notes or get a fellow's email. Programs will usually give you a folder with info. If they give you stuff, don't abandon it somewhere. That's sort of a slap in the face.

Do not plan to use anyone's computer for desktop publishing or the office copy machine. If you haven't guessed, we still haven't forgotten THAT guy.

Dear PC
Would you recommend taking a copy of publications/posters to your interviews? I know that is really tacky to give copies of pubs to interviewers. But would it be appropriate to have copies to show results if they are interested to know about specifics of my research?

Reading is fundamental. (I don't know if you are American or not.)

Hello PC

Thankyou for your info .I recently had an interview which I thought went really well. I got out of it being very-optimistic. As per recommendation, I sent a TY note to all of the interviewers. It's been almost 4-5 days and I have not heard even a word from anyone. What does that mean? Does that mean they are not interested? What else can I do from my side?Thankyou.

Dear PC,

Thank you so much for your insight and answering our queries. I also have a post interview question. So I had my first interview last wk to a university academic program. I was prepared to answer all sorts of tough questions but it was rather laid back and conversational.

Even one interviewer said that he usually doesn't say this but that he would really like to see me at his program. I walked away thinking that I had an excellent interview. However after talking to other applicants, most describe similar experiences. :confused:

So my question is that with exception of flagrant mistakes/personality issues during the interview, how much does the interview really affect ranking? On average does it really move people up/down the rank list? Also could you give us insight into how many interviews are handed out for certain # of available positions.

Thanks in advance!

Dear PC

It's my experience that you need not bring them, but you should be fully prepared to discuss.

Hello PC

Thankyou for your info .I recently had an interview which I thought went really well. I got out of it being very-optimistic. As per recommendation, I sent a TY note to all of the interviewers. It's been almost 4-5 days and I have not heard even a word from anyone. What does that mean? Does that mean they are not interested? What else can I do from my side?Thankyou.

Don't worry if you don't get responses to thank you correspondences. Some programs/interviewers just don't respond. It's uncool, but that's reality. Then again, some are just slow to respond.

It's unlikely that you will receive a response to thank you's sent via snail mail which is one of the reasons that I recommend utilizing email. Also bear in mind that, if you used postal mail, you must consider the extra routing time from post office to institution to division and finally into the interviewers' mailboxes.

Last edited:
Dear PC,

Thank you so much for your insight and answering our queries. I also have a post interview question. So I had my first interview last wk to a university academic program. I was prepared to answer all sorts of tough questions but it was rather laid back and conversational.

Even one interviewer said that he usually doesn't say this but that he would really like to see me at his program. I walked away thinking that I had an excellent interview. However after talking to other applicants, most describe similar experiences. :confused:

So my question is that with exception of flagrant mistakes/personality issues during the interview, how much does the interview really affect ranking? On average does it really move people up/down the rank list? Also could you give us insight into how many interviews are handed out for certain # of available positions.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure that your interview did, indeed, go well and your interviewer wasn't trying to just butter you up. So congrats on that.

By the time candidates get to the interview portion of this recruitment pageant, most will probably be pretty good fits for the programs. Otherwise they wouldn't have been invited. This is why interviews are, in fact, very important. Most candidates will move up or down on a program's ROL based on interviews.

To go back to my internet dating parallel...let's say that you find a few folks online who initially look like good matches. You go out with them in real life and spend a few hours getting to know more about each. Is the spark there? Does it seem as though you're moving in the same direction? With whom do you share similar goals and perspectives? Which complement you the best? With whom are you most comfortable? Can you offer what they need and vice versa? I think this is a good example of the interview trail and helps make clear how and why interviews are important and their impact on ranking for both the candidates and programs.

Programs typically interview 10 candidates for each open slot.

Thanks for putting things into perspective! It is a lot like speed dating. I feel so promiscuous . . .lol

Correct. Mea culpa.

Dear PC, Plz don't apologize and make me feel horrid....your responses have been wonderful and of tremendous help to the community in general I feel.Thanks again for selflessly devoting your time....

Don't worry if you don't get responses to thank you correspondences. Some programs/interviewers just don't respond. It's uncool, but that's reality. Then again, some are just slow to respond.

It's unlikely that you will receive a response to thank you's sent via snail mail which is one of the reasons that I recommend utilizing email. Also bear in mind that, if you used postal mail, you must consider the extra routing time from post office to institution to division and finally into the interviewers' mailboxes.
Dear PC,

Sorry for the confusion but I sent an e-mail not a regular mail.
TY

Dear PC,

Sorry for the confusion but I sent an e-mail not a regular mail.
TY

You still probably won't get a response. I'm not sure what your inbox looks like, but I got 72 emails (in my work account) today and I'm: a) not important, and b) our interview season hasn't even started yet. Your email is probably one of 150+ that the PD, chair, etc got that day. It was read, appreciated and set aside. There are only so many hours in the day and real work needs to get done. So don't take it personally...it wasn't meant personally. I only replied to 26 of the 72 I got today which is a pretty good ratio for me (usually ~10% get a reply).