Pc q&a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProgCoordinator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hanging the shingle for another recruitment season. You'll find my threads/posts from past years, but feel free to post questions here.

Top Tips:
Relax.
Be patient.
Treat everyone with respect.
Be yourself, but comport yourself professionally.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hanging the shingle for another recruitment season. You'll find my threads/posts from past years, but feel free to post questions here.

Top Tips:
Relax.
Be patient.
Treat everyone with respect.
Be yourself, but comport yourself professionally.

Thanks. I'll bite - if one is really interested in a program, and is interviewing at other programs in that city, is it appropriate to call a program coordinator around this time and ask about the status of your application? How about asking them to see if it can be reviewed so you can pool the interviews together?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you screen the applications in terms of USMLE scores? Step 1, 2, and/or 3?

Thanks for taking the time to provide insight and help alleviate some anxiety

I'm not a PC but I am reviewing apps (in a different specialty). The answer, at least in my program, is "sort of." Some programs will have hard Step cutoffs, although this is less common than in residency apps. Others will have soft cutoffs (any Step >2XX). Others (like mine) only screen on passing Steps 1 and 2 on the first try.

That said, Step scores make up 20% of our 2nd pass analysis on who to interview. As an example...after screening out all applicants who needed visas (we still had almost 300 for 3 spots), we then screened on any Step failure and a few other things and got down to ~100. That group is the one for whom their Step scores will make a difference in deciding on interviews...along with a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks. I'll bite - if one is really interested in a program, and is interviewing at other programs in that city, is it appropriate to call a program coordinator around this time and ask about the status of your application? How about asking them to see if it can be reviewed so you can pool the interviews together?

Not to be Debbie Downer, but it's a long shot. Although it couldn't hurt to send a brief email. There's no guarantee that all of the programs' schedules correspond and, even if some do, their slots may already be fully booked.

Give it a shot. Why not? Word to the wise...keep it brief and respectful.

I'm absolutely happy to help. Hopefully you've already read gutonc's response because he's on point. Now my two cents.

Most large, competitive programs will filter based on step performance. It's the best way to pare down a huge candidate pool. Some programs aren't as concerned. Any failures are almost certain to knock you out of contention for an invitation to interview with a competitive program.

Other factors can counter lower scores (e.g. research, publications, training institutions, LORs). :luck:

I'm not a PC but I am reviewing apps (in a different specialty). The answer, at least in my program, is "sort of." Some programs will have hard Step cutoffs, although this is less common than in residency apps. Others will have soft cutoffs (any Step >2XX). Others (like mine) only screen on passing Steps 1 and 2 on the first try.

That said, Step scores make up 20% of our 2nd pass analysis on who to interview. As an example...after screening out all applicants who needed visas (we still had almost 300 for 3 spots), we then screened on any Step failure and a few other things and got down to ~100. That group is the one for whom their Step scores will make a difference in deciding on interviews...along with a bunch of other stuff.

"we then screened on any Step failure and a few other things"

Do you mind sharing what specifically a "few other things" may be?

Isn't it common that a lot of programs will already know 1 or even several internal candidates that they will take?

Do the programs just go through the match and rank them 1,2,3...or what ever and then rank everybody else? Or do they just offer them spots outside the match?

Along those same lines, isn't it fair to say that if there are lets say 5 cardiology spots available at a program, the program may have already decided on 3 internal candidates so there are really only 2 available to outside candidates even before the match?

"we then screened on any Step failure and a few other things"

Do you mind sharing what specifically a "few other things" may be?

Just exactly what you might expect.

No Carib grads
Significant gaps in training or need to repeat classwork
Bad LORs

All this is just what my program does though...others will do more or less than this.

Just exactly what you might expect.

No Carib grads
Significant gaps in training or need to repeat classwork
Bad LORs

All this is just what my program does though...others will do more or less than this.

Are there actually candidates who have BAD LOR's????

I would think that everyone only asks people for LOR's who they know will write good ones. Why would an applicant ask someone to write a LOR who they don't think would write a strong one? Not only that, a lot of letter writers will tell an applicant they don't think they can write a good one as a courtesy so they can find another writer.

How common is it to find a bad LOR?

It even seems like LOR's must become a formality after reading so many because everyone has good things said about them and it is harder to distinguish candidates when every single one has good things written about them. I mean come on, not every candidate can walk on water and make the deaf hear and cure floods in 3rd world countries, but after reading some of those letters, it probably seems like they can.

Isn't it common that a lot of programs will already know 1 or even several internal candidates that they will take?

Do the programs just go through the match and rank them 1,2,3...or what ever and then rank everybody else? Or do they just offer them spots outside the match?

Along those same lines, isn't it fair to say that if there are lets say 5 cardiology spots available at a program, the program may have already decided on 3 internal candidates so there are really only 2 available to outside candidates even before the match?

It's not that cut and dry. Some years we may be excited about 2-3 internal candidates...some years 0-1. We rank all candidates as we want them regardless of internal/external.

Are there actually candidates who have BAD LOR's????

I would think that everyone only asks people for LOR's who they know will write good ones. Why would an applicant ask someone to write a LOR who they don't think would write a strong one? Not only that, a lot of letter writers will tell an applicant they don't think they can write a good one as a courtesy so they can find another writer.

How common is it to find a bad LOR?

It even seems like LOR's must become a formality after reading so many because everyone has good things said about them and it is harder to distinguish candidates when every single one has good things written about them. I mean come on, not every candidate can walk on water and make the deaf hear and cure floods in 3rd world countries, but after reading some of those letters, it probably seems like they can.

Yes! The rare artifact...bad LOR. That's when you know not to touch that candidate with a ten foot pole. I've only seen two truly negative LORs in the last decade or so. Only pretty heinous behavior will earn a prejudicial letter.

My program also requires MSPE. A bad LOR will usually be supported by that, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! The rare artifact...bad LOR. That's when you know not to touch that candidate with a ten foot pole. I've only seen two truly negative LORs in the last decade or so. Only pretty heinous behavior will earn a prejudicial letter.

My program also requires MSPE. A bad LOR will usually be supported by that, too.

Just to be clear...a neutral LOR is basically a bad LOR IMHO.

And we too require the MSPE and it is also one of the screening tools we use.

Just to be clear...a neutral LOR is basically a bad LOR IMHO.

And we too require the MSPE and it is also one of the screening tools we use.

There's a neutral/tepid LOR. Meh.

Then there's a BAD LOR. Like a triple rainbow. Priceless. And extremely rare.

ProgCoordinator, when USMLE scores are screen, do you screen them individually, or are you able to screen the average of the scores? Alternatively, you can screen it so that all 3 scores have to be >200, for example?

ProgCoordinator, when USMLE scores are screen, do you screen them individually, or are you able to screen the average of the scores? Alternatively, you can screen it so that all 3 scores have to be >200, for example?

When scores are adjudicated factors they are typically screened individually. 200 is a common minimum. We can set minimums at will. So, yes, we can filter out submissions above or below whatever we want. I'm not aware of a program that has been interested in creating a filter to average them.

I have one for you, but it may be a bit "inside baseball." For the applicants I was given to review, I received a nice tidy little PDF file containing their entire (I assume) ERAS file. Is that something ERAS does automagically for you or did our PC have to waste countless hours manually "printing to PDF" the entire file or worse, print each separate file to PDF and then manually concatenate them?

I now return you to your regularly scheduled, relevant questions.

I have one for you, but it may be a bit "inside baseball." For the applicants I was given to review, I received a nice tidy little PDF file containing their entire (I assume) ERAS file. Is that something ERAS does automagically for you or did our PC have to waste countless hours manually "printing to PDF" the entire file or worse, print each separate file to PDF and then manually concatenate them?

I now return you to your regularly scheduled, relevant questions.

You can pick and choose what to include. ERAS offers the option to either download all of a candidate's documents to one PDF (pick and choose what "everything" entails and its order) or download each of the candidate's documents as an individual PDF.

Are applicants who submit their file the day it opens (7/15) at a greater advantage of being granted an interview over say someone who submits their application on 8/5?

Are applications constantly being reviewed as they come in or are they reviewed early and if all interview dates are filled, even if a qualified applicant gets their file in a couple weeks later they may be rejected?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Are applicants who submit their file the day it opens (7/15) at a greater advantage of being granted an interview over say someone who submits their application on 8/5?

Are applications constantly being reviewed as they come in or are they reviewed early and if all interview dates are filled, even if a qualified applicant gets their file in a couple weeks later they may be rejected?

Yes and no. The primary advantage to having your app in early is that, you never know when a program will decide "today's the day to review all the apps we have." It's definitely not going to be before ERAS opens for download, but it might be the next day...or 6 weeks later.

At least in my program, apps are reviewed on an ongoing basis but, even if you're a superstar and I'd like to interview you, if we've already filled up all our spots, your chances of getting an interview are much lower than if you'd been early with your app.

That said, as an app reviewer, I have no idea when people submitted their apps (I could probably find out, but I don't care). I only know that, on the day I got my pile for review, we'd gotten well over 300 apps.

Ours is a pretty formal system. We review on a rolling basis as submissions come through ERAS. Although we utilize filters, every submission is reviewed by a human being at least once. Notes and internal scoring will be added to each profile. Granted, our way of doing things isn't typical.

During the first round we weed out the applications that don't meet our minimums. The submissions that remain in the pool are then re-reviewed with closer attention paid to their research, productivity, personal statement, and LORs (further notes and internal scoring).

Once our deadline has passed and we've done the second review of the active candidates' applications, we have 1-2 meetings during which we decide who's out, who to invite, and who will be an alternate (and the order of the alternates).

Before our first download we have already scheduled our interview dates, so we know how many slots we'll have for candidates (give or take a couple). The only other certainty is that all internal residents will be granted interviews.

We're looking for strong candidates from the open to the close, but I could argue that earlier submissions may receive more merciful consideration. A common argument against on-the-deadline applications which aren't the most competitive is that they applied on the deadline. Having said that, though, I've seen super stars apply on the deadline and we still want to meet with them.

Clear as mud? Just try to relax. Breathe deeply and polish your interview shoes. You've done just about all you can up to this point. Give yourself a break.

Hey ProgC, thank you for being available and devoting your time to answer our questions. I am not sure if it would be a fair question for you but I am wondering if this interview invitation season is coming to a close. In the "other subspecialties" sections, we have noticed a lull in the last 1-2 weeks. Some programs have their interview slots booked solid. My question is, is this the end of the first wave and is there going to be a second wave?

Hey ProgC, thank you for being available and devoting your time to answer our questions. I am not sure if it would be a fair question for you but I am wondering if this interview invitation season is coming to a close. In the "other subspecialties" sections, we have noticed a lull in the last 1-2 weeks. Some programs have their interview slots booked solid. My question is, is this the end of the first wave and is there going to be a second wave?

I'll be honest. This is a funky season because of the new timeline. Some programs aren't quite as on top of things as in years gone by. Before we had to deal with pounding stuff out during the holidays. Now we're having to jump from one galloping horse (segueing from one academic year to the next) to another one (recruitment).

While I think the first big wave has happened for a lot of programs, I have a feeling that the forthcoming 'trickle' will be a little more formidable and last a tad longer than in the past. I guess my best advice is to keep an eye on the running list you guys have tracking program correspondences. That's a good barometer right now. Although we're a small group in the grand scheme, I'm paying attention to it, too.

The only other certainty is that all internal residents will be granted interviews.

What if there is that one guy (or girl) that just sucks - and didn't/won't take the hint (up to and including being told "don't apply"), and does apply, who is an internal candidate? Will you still burn the interview spot for something that is, essentially, pro forma? Or is there some very faint hope that the turd will turn around?

It wouldn't be every year, but I would expect one every 3 to 5 years that get a "not recommended" stamp.

What if there is that one guy (or girl) that just sucks - and didn't/won't take the hint (up to and including being told "don't apply"), and does apply, who is an internal candidate? Will you still burn the interview spot for something that is, essentially, pro forma? Or is there some very faint hope that the turd will turn around?

It wouldn't be every year, but I would expect one every 3 to 5 years that get a "not recommended" stamp.

Yes, we'll still interview an internal turd, but said turd won't take a spot from a competitive candidate. Absolutely not. We will always invite all of the candidates we want to meet with.

There are still some programs that have not downloaded apps yet. What could it mean that 4 weeks in to the application and they have not opened it yet?

Does this mean they start reviewing apps later? (wishful thinking)
or .......Does it mean that they have finished reviewing apps and are done with handing out interviews? (pessimistic thinking)

Thanks again for all your help.

There are still some programs that have not downloaded apps yet. What could it mean that 4 weeks in to the application and they have not opened it yet?

Does this mean they start reviewing apps later? (wishful thinking)
or .......Does it mean that they have finished reviewing apps and are done with handing out interviews? (pessimistic thinking)

Thanks again for all your help.

Before I start my musings: Have you heard that they've already handed out invitations/regrets?

Usually (<- and I say that tentatively) the programs that are slow to download are really small or sub-subspecialty programs, such as cath. On another note, back in the olden days of the previous timeline, some west coast programs seemed to review and invite later than much of the rest of the country. Since I don't have intimate knowledge of all programs' inter-workings I can't say for certain. If none of this is jibing with your particular situation...my mind is awash with crazy scenarios.

Since it sounds like you'd applied early and they still haven't downloaded your submission, I'm thinking that they haven't started reviewing yet. If this is the case and you applied to a sub-sub...there's a good chance that they may be confident that they've already filled their spot(s). That doesn't mean that you're completely out of the game, but it may be that it's a long shot.

Now that it's a good month into this shorter application cycle,
1) Is it ok to email a program coordinator enquiring about the status of your application even though no one has posted that they have received an invite from them so far? (Only the one you are really interested of course, not all of them)
2)Is it ok to ask a PC from a program which you know from this forum, sent others invites and rejections but you didn't receive anything?-I am assuming I am in a maybe pile. If I enquire does that increase my chances of being noticed in case of cancellations esp if I say I am from that region?

Thanks PC for stopping by to help all of us out!

One question I had was in regards to "updates" on the status of applications. There are particular programs that I have been interested in which have already sent out invites and rejections. For better or worse, I've received neither, but would certainly like for the program to have as much information as possible (ie...a project that was initially listed as "submitted" on ERAS was ultimately accepted to a conference)

Just trying to see what sort of timeline would be appropriate, since these programs interview spots are presumably already filling up.

Thanks!

Now that it's a good month into this shorter application cycle,
1) Is it ok to email a program coordinator enquiring about the status of your application even though no one has posted that they have received an invite from them so far? (Only the one you are really interested of course, not all of them)
2)Is it ok to ask a PC from a program which you know from this forum, sent others invites and rejections but you didn't receive anything?-I am assuming I am in a maybe pile. If I enquire does that increase my chances of being noticed in case of cancellations esp if I say I am from that region?

1) I vote that you wait until next week.
2) Programs typically keep a ranked alternate list in order to fill spots that open up due to cancellations and they've probably already noted that you're from their region. Since they've already sent out invites, though, I say bite the bullet and send them a very brief email reasserting your interest in their program. :luck:

Thanks PC for stopping by to help all of us out!

One question I had was in regards to "updates" on the status of applications. There are particular programs that I have been interested in which have already sent out invites and rejections. For better or worse, I've received neither, but would certainly like for the program to have as much information as possible (ie...a project that was initially listed as "submitted" on ERAS was ultimately accepted to a conference)

Just trying to see what sort of timeline would be appropriate, since these programs interview spots are presumably already filling up.

Thanks!

It's totally fair to inform programs of these updates. Send a brief email, state the updates, state your interest, thank them for their time, and wrap it up.

Email them ASAP. Like, today. Like, your first opportunity. :luck:

Thanks for your input PC. I'm curious how much priority you give to the following "lesser" discussed applicant characteristics: 1. chief resident 2. AOA. Does the presence/absence of these ever make or break an applicant's chance at interviewing/matching? Do you know of other programs that give special priority to either of these?

Thanks for your input PC. I'm curious how much priority you give to the following "lesser" discussed applicant characteristics: 1. chief resident 2. AOA. Does the presence/absence of these ever make or break an applicant's chance at interviewing/matching? Do you know of other programs that give special priority to either of these?

Although a candidate with CMR and/or AOA will get extra points (either figuratively or formally), these are points equal to those that top candidates can earn without either designation. While all programs will certainly take notice of these accomplishments, these factors alone would rarely make or break whether a candidate will be invited to interview.

This is a process with very few cut and dry black and white situations. Out of hundreds of applications, only a small fraction will be slamdunks on paper. Like 2% or lower.

Bear in mind that, once we get to interviews, the value of a slamdunk-on-paper can plummet if they end up being dingle in person.

Although a candidate with CMR and/or AOA will get extra points (either figuratively or formally), these are points equal to those that top candidates can earn without either designation. While all programs will certainly take notice of these accomplishments, these factors alone would rarely make or break whether a candidate will be invited to interview.

This is a process with very few cut and dry black and white situations. Out of hundreds of applications, only a small fraction will be slamdunks on paper. Like 2% or lower.

Bear in mind that, once we get to interviews, the value of a slamdunk-on-paper can plummet if they end up being dingle in person.

What PC said. In my experience (at our app eval meeting yesterday), a dozen or so of our >400 applications were obvious slam dunk invites. Another 2/3 of our intended invites were decided on without much dissent among the group. And there were another dozen or so "on the bubble." These are the folks where being AOA or a Chief (or even a stellar LOR from a well known faculty member) made a difference.

Had a few quick questions:

In the case where an applicant applies to a program:

1)If an applicant is not invited to an interview, is his/her application discarded or is it kept in a file?

2)If an applicant is invited to an interview and cancels the interview (within a reasonable time within 2 weeks, and not 1 day ahead of the interview), is his/her application discarded or is it kept in a file?

3)If an applicant goes to an interview and does not match to that program, is his/her application discarded or is it kept in a file?

Thanks!

Was also wondering if taking a year off to do hospitalist work hurt my chances for cardiology fellowship or if it doesn't matter?

Thankyou so much for taking the time out to help out stressed out candidates...

My question to you is regarding Step 3 scores.
How much do they matter? If someone failed on their first attempt in Step 3, but cleared on their second attempt with not such good scores, then what are the chances of that candidate being screened out during the selection process? This is with everything else in the competitive category, that is step 1 and 2 scores, posters, LOR's...

How much do they matter? If someone failed on their first attempt in Step 3, but cleared on their second attempt with not such good scores, then what are the chances of that candidate being screened out during the selection process? This is with everything else in the competitive category, that is step 1 and 2 scores, posters, LOR's...

The answer, as usual, is "it depends." But in my program, any step failure was an automatic rejection (except for Step 2 CS which the entire committee agreed is bulls**t).

so if I got an interview offer, and emailed the PC back for times, when is it appropriate to recontact the PC? i don't want to sound too pushy, but i also dont want my name to get lost in the fold.

also gutonc, has your program sent out all of the interview invites yet?

so if I got an interview offer, and emailed the PC back for times, when is it appropriate to recontact the PC? i don't want to sound too pushy, but i also dont want my name to get lost in the fold.
2-3 business days seems reasonable...but I'm totally making that up.

I have no idea. We have made our list, but I'm not the one who actually sends the invites.

If you've already emailed the PC more than once and -- as gutonc mentioned -- a few business days have already passed without a response, I think it's fair for you to phone the PC. Even though you may be irked by the situation, don't let on. :luck:

Had a few quick questions:

In the case where an applicant applies to a program:

1)If an applicant is not invited to an interview, is his/her application discarded or is it kept in a file?

2)If an applicant is invited to an interview and cancels the interview (within a reasonable time within 2 weeks, and not 1 day ahead of the interview), is his/her application discarded or is it kept in a file?

3)If an applicant goes to an interview and does not match to that program, is his/her application discarded or is it kept in a file?

Thanks!

1) Either way we have all submissions available in ERAS until the end of the season. After the current recruitment season, though, everything is typically tossed except for those who matched with us. We do have the option of downloading an archive of a lot of information at the end of the season. I don't know of any program that downloads all candidates' documents for archival purposes.

2) See my answer to #1.

3) See my answer to #1.

It's my pleasure to help!

As per gutonc's reply, we're much the same. The failure will certainly be a sticking point. As will the low passing score. For those who live and die by filters...you will probably be cut automatically. Having said all that, I'm sure you're still a viable candidate for many, many training programs. :luck:

Thanks Prog Coordinator,
But if everybody just discards the application once they see the "fail", then how can I still be a viable candidate????
And if somebody say does decide to call for an interview, by overlooking the step 3 result, and say the interview goes fabulously, and they love the candidate, then how much would the step 3 result matter during their final selection ranking???
Please help....

Thanks Prog Coordinator,
But if everybody just discards the application once they see the "fail", then how can I still be a viable candidate????
Slow down and pay attention to what PC wrote. Not everybody will discard your app because of the Step 3 fail. Those that don't, will still look at the rest of your app and, if it's a solid as you claim it is, will review it as such.

And if somebody say does decide to call for an interview, by overlooking the step 3 result, and say the interview goes fabulously, and they love the candidate, then how much would the step 3 result matter during their final selection ranking???
Please help....

It may still be a sticking point but less of one at that point.

Thanks Prog Coordinator,
Please help....

Let me break this down because I wasn't as clear I can be...

- Filters aren't permanent. We still have access to any submission that happens to be filtered during a particular search.
Example: I can filter candidates in or out based on step scores, residency program, med school...almost anything.
A candidate could be filtered out based on scores, yet appear again when filtered to only include candidates who
have trained with a particular residency program.
- Deactivation isn't permanent. We still have access to any submission that we deactivate.
- We can't literally "discard" anyone so long as ERAS is still active.
- At the end of the season -- weeks after the match -- we download and archive applicant information from ERAS; basically a demographic database, not actual documents. Around the same time we'll shred any submissions that had been made into hard copies for review/interviews. We file the newly-matched fellows' hard copy submissions. These are foundations for their training files.

A candidate with a failed step can still be a viable candidate for programs that:
(A) Don't review step scores
(B) Aren't necessarily considered to be among the most competitive
I totally cringe at stating (B) as it probably comes off as elitist and I hate that. The reality is that the most competitive
programs typically receive upwards of 700 applications. There's only time to interview ~10%. They're only looking
to match ~2% or less.

If a candidate has failed a step (or insert any other facet that may be generally considered to be less than stellar) and is still invited to interview, it means that the program believes that the candidate has merit for their program. Each candidate who has been interviewed will be discussed during ROL ranking. If we're talking about a program that doesn't adjudicate step scores, this topic is moot. For the programs that do review USMLE results, the failure or low score will be discussed along with the interview feedback and the original file review notations.

Blah, blah, blah...yadda, yadda, yadda. If you are invited to interview, you have a shot to match with that program.

What else I miss?

What are the most important questions we should be prepared to answer during interviews at large, academic programs?

What are the faculty looking for in candidates during their interview days?

How are candidates evaluated/scored based on their interview performance?

Thank you both so much for your insight and answering our questions.

What are the most important questions we should be prepared to answer during interviews at large, academic programs?

What are the faculty looking for in candidates during their interview days?

How are candidates evaluated/scored based on their interview performance?

Thank you both so much for your insight and answering our questions.

It's my pleasure to help you guys.

Anything you've put into your submission is fair game for discussion during your interviews. Be prepared to talk about any research that you've listed. Be prepared to talk about why you've chosen Cardiology. If you'd written about being interested in any sub-sub within Cardiology you should be prepared to discuss that, too. Be prepared to talk about any interests/hobbies that you've mentioned in your submission. Be prepared to discuss why you're interested in that particular program. You may run into one or two interviewers along the trail who will toss something random at you ("What kind of tree would you be?").

Think of an interview sort of like the first date after finding someone through an online dating service. You each kind of know the basics about the other. You want to figure out whether you mesh, whether their claims ring true, whether they'll fit well into your life and vice versa. [Don't sleep with anyone on this first date]

Interviewers will typically have a feedback form that they are expected to complete and submit after their meetings with candidates. Common areas that they're asked to consider will be candidates' personality and interpersonal skills, research foundation and potential, perceived clinical abilities, teaching and leadership qualities, professionalism, and -- for some programs -- likelihood for academic career. :luck: